User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rice Cookers: Simple or High Tech?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rice Cookers: Simple or High Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    High tech. I have the Zojirushi something or other with timer and settings for about every combo you can think of but 90% of the time it is cooking brown rice that I set up before I left for work. It makes perfect brown rice that way. The only thing you have to remember is to set the clock ahead in the spring. That was good for one late dinner the other day.
    Can you explain more about "before I left for work," please. Do you let it sit for 8 hours and turn on so it's done when you get home? Just wondering how far ahead you can load the pot.

If I can set it up in the morning before heading out to the office and have it turn on a 5:30 then the timer makes sense. If not, I might as well babysit it from the very start and save the price differential.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the higher end cookers another think to consider is that it can hold cooked rice on warm for an extended period of time - The lids have a better seal mechanism and manage the escaping steam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    With the higher end cookers another think to consider is that it can hold cooked rice on warm for an extended period of time - The lids have a better seal mechanism and manage the escaping steam.
    What he said. We start the camp rice cookers at 8:30 or 9 am and don't return until 2 or 3 pm and it's perfect-o.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 53249Attachment 53248
    The Toshiba RC-10VSB otherwise known as the Queen Mary of Rice cookers.
    You have a digital clock. Load the thing with rice and water, set the timer to cook anytime in a 24 hr period and presto perfect rice.
    There is a standard rice cup in Japan. Depending on how many cups you add, you just fill up to the correct line.
    You see different levels for making plain white rice, sushi rice, porridge etc.
    You have 6 different settings for rice, 3 different cooking speeds and a bunch of different choices for keeping it warm after it is made.
    My wife even uses this thing to make Amazake in the winter. It is worth the extra dollars just for the amazake.

Amazake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by vertical_doug; 04-01-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: add wiki for amazake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I'm convinced, that seems like the one to have. Google, google, google. Wait, are you seriously recommending a rice maker that's only available in Japan? are you carrying it back for me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SANYO :: Microcomputerized Rice Cookers :: 10-Cup Micom Rice & Slow Cooker

Ours is similar, if not identical to this. Recommend without reservation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Can you explain more about "before I left for work," please. Do you let it sit for 8 hours and turn on so it's done when you get home? Just wondering how far ahead you can load the pot.

If I can set it up in the morning before heading out to the office and have it turn on a 5:30 then the timer makes sense. If not, I might as well babysit it from the very start and save the price differential.
    If all you're going to do is cook rice in it to a non-Japanese super high standard, then I get very good results from my Walgreen's thing, cooking one cup. Dump rice in, water, no wash: 30 seconds. Hit switch; with rest at the table in 25 minutes. Cooking more takes a few more minutes. In the mean time you can argue with guys on the net and prep your food (doing it right now).

If you have a Japanese wife she'll tell you which cooker to buy b/c she knows way more than you.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post

If you have a Japanese wife she'll tell you which cooker to buy b/c she knows way more than you.
    This should read, "b/c she can kill it in the kitchen."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get up, suck down two beakers of warm Drano. Perform rudimentary grooming. Put on some pants. Split a can of ground offal into two bowls and place on floor for the four-legged hairballs. Prepare rice cooker: rinse the sawdust off some brown rice, put it in the cooker and pour in water to the correct line. Check the timer, push the button, giggle at 'Twinkle, twinkle, little star' tune.

It is 0615.

Drive to The Vale of Tears. At 1600 return from The Vale of Tears. Go for a 100 minute ride. At 1800 the cooker finishes the rice. About 1830 cook the rest of dinner. Enjoy a delicious repast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw that. He wasn't a big fan of fuzzy logic models. Everyone I ask says the programmability of the fuzzy logic ones (and ability to tell it what type of rice) is worth the money. I'll likely buy one tonight either online or--immediate gratification-from Bed Bath Beyond using a coupon that just arrived in the mail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Now I get it. It's terrific rice, even on my first effort. Dump it in, press the buttons, go pack for the trip. No waste, either.

One question not addressed in operator's guide: Is long grain brown rice "long grain" or "brown" for the purposes of these cookers?

Instruction guide only addresses long grain white and wild. Puts brown in its own category but doesn't mention long brown.

First batch was a tad dry and sticky but I haven't made brown rice before so I have nothing to compare against.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Ok. Now I get it. It's terrific rice, even on my first effort. Dump it in, press the buttons, go pack for the trip. No waste, either.

One question not addressed in operator's guide: Is long grain brown rice "long grain" or "brown" for the purposes of these cookers?

Instruction guide only addresses long grain white and wild. Puts brown in its own category but doesn't mention long brown.

First batch was a tad dry and sticky but I haven't made brown rice before so I have nothing to compare against.
    That's what I said.

I will answer this under condition you will never argue with me: ime it cooks like brown, but you'll find out soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question: does everybody's rice cookers have coated aluminum pots and lids?

I'm shopping for a new rice cooker and it seems this is the norm. I'm now on a search for a stainless steel pot and lid rice cooker (not "brushed stainless" exterior).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Zojirushi is coated but my Proctor Silex Commercial - 60-Cup Rice Cooker/Warmer is not if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post

I'm shopping for a new rice cooker and it seems this is the norm. I'm now on a search for a stainless steel pot and lid rice cooker (not "brushed stainless" exterior).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO this is the problem. aluminum and plastic. no thanks.

i use an appropriately sized(for qty of rice being made) stainless pot and tight fitting lid on my stove. never fails!

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post

Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried a fairly expensive rice cooker a couple years ago.

It NEVER matched the results I get from a nice pan & lid. *Tip: Don't take off lid until done. Don't peak.

imagesCA4UBSNC.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's true guys, they won't ever match the quality of stovetop cooking at it's best.

All that said some rice takes better to cookers than others. High quality basmati and Japanese sticky rice go well in cookers, very well. I have dismal results with brown rice and most short grains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Between some real high quality rice and a high quality rice cooker, I do not think anyone we be able to tell. In fact, the quality of the rice may actually floor you.

Too Tall, the next time you are in NY, I'll have you and Darren over for some home made dumplings and rice cooker rice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Define high quality rice, please!

My Zojirushi is one of my favorite appliances but I need to branch out from the standard supermarket Jasmine and Calrose stuff, I think.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast