Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Morels - and other free range fungi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Morels - and other free range fungi

It's nearly time. I'm in the woods every day with a watchful eye. My woods don't grow big monster morels, but there are plenty of them in good years. The blacks come up first...out on the county road and within a couple of weeks the yellows and grays pop up in the woods. I find some blacks and grays in the woods, but they're quite scarce. Blacks are the easiest to find because of their contrast. I have some good pics...

A/K/A "Dry Land Fish", the first way i learned to prepare them was battered and fried, and it's still a great way to eat them. I'd like to hear some other ideas on preparing the little caps.

ALSO, there are plenty of other fungi out there, lots and lots, and i'm sure some of it is good to eat as well (or at least non-toxic). I'd love to positive ID some of the others. AND has thought about buying spores for some wild crafting where i'd "seed" lots of the rotting logs and such where i find mushrooms sprouting.

Do you have morels? do you get the big ones? I have neighbors a ridge or two away who get them large and plentiful enough to sell to restaurants. They tally their hauls in pounds. I still count caps. A good year is a few hundred, a bad year is less than 100. Last year wasn't good. This year is looking great, cool and damp.

Do you collect other species?

Have you grown your own?

What should i do with these dried ones?

A lonesome black-location, near buckshot mudder 2012. (i do find blacks to be less "congregated" than the yellows and grays.)
    Last edited by WadePatton; 03-29-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Morels - and other free range fungi

When I was in MN we'd find them on fresh cut lawns and sidewalk cracks after a cool spring thunderstorm by the bagful.

For me there is no better way to have these than with eggs very simply prepared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_3972.JPGIMG_3659.JPGIMG_3759.JPGOur Funghi season is fall - I still have big jars of dried SW Ceasars & Lobsters.
    Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to re-constitute some.
    I just throw then in some water, get it to boiling, boil it for a minute or so, and then take it off & cover it with a towell to keep the heat in - I do this 1st thing in the morning, and by dinner they are good - overnight as well.
    This is mostly for the Lobsters - the Ceasers when dried are really strong flavour - I mostly use them as soup flavourings when dried - D. eats them straight up.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to collect a lot of chanterelles in Oregon. My favorite thing to do with them was saute them in a light, garlicky pasta cream sauce with fresh cherry tomatoes.

In norCal my favorite wild shrooms are Oysters. They appear in fall, usually on fallen trees. Hard to get to them before the grubs though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BCM119: I find it hard to get to them before everyone else...

Actually, I've given up on foraging. The bay area is too crowded and has too many people looking for the tasty stuff--many of them commercially. Maybe if I was a little bit further out... but I'm not.

Anyway, my favorite thing to do with spring fungi is to make some gnocchi. Prep the gnocchi and cook them, toss in some olive oil when done and refrigerate if you want. Then pan fry with a selection of what is good, and what you've found. Just about any mix of mushrooms, ramps, spring onions, fiddleheads, peas, beans will do nicely. Last time I made it I also roasted some fresh fava beans in the pod, then tossed the gnocchi, favas (now out of pods [obviously]), morels, green garlic, fiddleheads and some sorrel. High heat, a healthy amount of oil, brown the gnocchi slightly and then splash in some dry vermouth and lemon juice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Man, another week or so up here on the plateau and we will be in the heart of the season.

Morels seem to lend to Italian cooking. I use them in pasta and pizza. Seems to be better with a creamy or garlic sauce.

We make a pizza dough, simple, as described in an earlier thread. Morels, asparagus, and garlic sauteed in olive oill. You want the morels to shine.. Dough down, and coated with pesto or alfredo type sauce. Generous amounts of toppings, add either gruyere or mozz. On the grill or in the oven and done..

Same recipe minus the pizza dough, instead use pasta.

I have had them with an Asian flare. Cook like you would deep fry normally, but instead of your regular batter, use Tempura batter. Homemade Thail chili dipping sauce with a side of stir fried fresh veggies.

Wade., If you ever make it to exit 368, off of the big slab in Buffalo Valley. Stop. Turn right and go to the end of Jacks Hollow, you will run into an old farmhouse. Ginseng Jack lives there with his wife April. Jack has been 'Sengin' for 30 years, wherever there is a patch, he has carved his name into a tree. Everyone within 50 miles knows its his spot, and he don't take kindly to stealin. His wife is a registered nurse, she takes the entire month of April off to collect mushrooms. Great, great people. I was down there in January, they were letting me use there farm for a project i was working on at the rest area on the Caney Fork. Just happened upon them. It was cold and snowy as fuck, i was freezing. She warmed up some XXX, with a bit of lemon. I got real warm, and that is all i remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    BCM119: I find it hard to get to them before everyone else...

Actually, I've given up on foraging. The bay area is too crowded and has too many people looking for the tasty stuff--many of them commercially. Maybe if I was a little bit further out... but I'm not.

yeah, I don't even think about foraging in the bay area. Mushroom hunting and competition don't belong in the same sentence as far as I'm concerned. My in-laws live in the sierra foothills so that's where I get oysters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    yeah, I don't even think about foraging in the bay area. Mushroom hunting and competition don't belong in the same sentence as far as I'm concerned. My in-laws live in the sierra foothills so that's where I get oysters.
    20 years ago, before everyone became a foodie, a friend would drag me on hikes and we'd incidentally come upon chantrelles and even matsutakes. It was difficult to identify the poisonous from non as there was so much variability in the way they showed.

A friend with a place outside Yosemite gets minefields of oysters and others. So good.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awww... man! I was just in TN visiting family and knew we were about a week early.

Typical garlic/butter is outstanding. However, I had morels sautéed with bone marrow last year at a local restaurant and it was ridiculous.

I grew up in the boonies in TN and would gather them as a kid and sell them to restaurants in Nashville at $10/lb. That was big money to a 12 year old!

-Bernie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_3661.JPGIMG_3659.JPGIMG_3730.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    It was difficult to identify the poisonous from non as there was so much variability in the way they showed.
    Those Ceasers i posted are in the Amanita family, which includes the Fly Agaric & the Death Cap - notice the cap on that one I posted - it's a good one - there are three tests that one must pass to be good - even one off, and it's a no-go. It's that close.
    One of these three is delicious.
    The other two may kill you.
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    20 years ago, before everyone became a foodie, a friend would drag me on hikes and we'd incidentally come upon chantrelles and even matsutakes. It was difficult to identify the poisonous from non as there was so much variability in the way they showed.

A friend with a place outside Yosemite gets minefields of oysters and others. So good.
    Sounds like the same general area... my inlaws live in Mariposa/Oakhurst area, between 1500 and 2k feet. Oyster country for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today was warm, but no sightings here yet. I'll look more closely in the morning. Between my woods being logged and them bringing a water line out the county road (where the pic in the OP was taken) I don't know what to expect really. I'll find some, could be better could be worse.

And also thanks for the Buffalo Valley info. The company that put in the water line is out of Baxter.

Also FTR and those who might know the diff. I'm on the western edge of the Highland Rim East-(The Barrens-on the topo maps-elevation 1000' ish). about 800' below the Cumberland Plateau and 500' above the Nashville Basin. If you step wrong you can tumble down onto the Nashville Basin from some points of my place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What part of the Volunteer state?

Quote Originally Posted by einreb View Post
    Awww... man! I was just in TN visiting family and knew we were about a week early.

Typical garlic/butter is outstanding. However, I had morels sautéed with bone marrow last year at a local restaurant and it was ridiculous.

I grew up in the boonies in TN and would gather them as a kid and sell them to restaurants in Nashville at $10/lb. That was big money to a 12 year old!

-Bernie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    What part of the Volunteer state?
    Just north of Nashville.

Last year, March 25th...
    mircle.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in White House, and Cody.wms is from Hendersonville. Spent the first half of my life up on the Highland Rim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I grew up in White House, and Cody.wms is from Hendersonville. Spent the first half of my life up on the Highland Rim.
    Ha! Technically, the zip had us in Goodlettsville, but the area was locally known as 'Union Hill'.

Would be fun to meet up with v-salon folks and ride sometime when I'm down there.

-Bernie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Early reports coming from So Missouri, so I'm gettin' anxious. Last year was a finicky one with the non-winter - only found a few.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nierman View Post
    Early reports coming from So Missouri, so I'm gettin' anxious. Last year was a finicky one with the non-winter - only found a few.
    i has reported online before, but when i went digging for a place to see/post reports the other day, everything i found "stopped" at 2010 or 2009 or so. I didn't dig deep, but was disappointed. Where u lookin Nierman?

Last year here we had a couple of very hot weeks in March. and a short less-productive 'shroom season. This year sure feels shrooomier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    i has reported online before, but when i went digging for a place to see/post reports the other day, everything i found "stopped" at 2010 or 2009 or so. I didn't dig deep, but was disappointed. Where u lookin Nierman?

Last year here we had a couple of very hot weeks in March. and a short less-productive 'shroom season. This year sure feels shrooomier.
    I check here. I'm sure there's a TN board on there. Skeptical show-me-staters get a little anal posting photos of current newspapers and such. Some have even given away spots from which I've benefitted. When's lunch?!?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shit, you said 'boonies.' My mom went to Union Hill Elementary and graduated from Goodlettsville High. She worked at Bob Galbreaths grocery and grew up on Hitt Lane. Our family farm was there, and i spent more saturday nights at the Union Hill drag strip than anywhere else. Hows that? I know where you from.

Quote Originally Posted by einreb View Post
    Ha! Technically, the zip had us in Goodlettsville, but the area was locally known as 'Union Hill'.

Would be fun to meet up with v-salon folks and ride sometime when I'm down there.

-Bernie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast