Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Morels - and other free range fungi

It's nearly time. I'm in the woods every day with a watchful eye. My woods don't grow big monster morels, but there are plenty of them in good years. The blacks come up first...out on the county road and within a couple of weeks the yellows and grays pop up in the woods. I find some blacks and grays in the woods, but they're quite scarce. Blacks are the easiest to find because of their contrast. I have some good pics...

A/K/A "Dry Land Fish", the first way i learned to prepare them was battered and fried, and it's still a great way to eat them. I'd like to hear some other ideas on preparing the little caps.

ALSO, there are plenty of other fungi out there, lots and lots, and i'm sure some of it is good to eat as well (or at least non-toxic). I'd love to positive ID some of the others. AND has thought about buying spores for some wild crafting where i'd "seed" lots of the rotting logs and such where i find mushrooms sprouting.

Do you have morels? do you get the big ones? I have neighbors a ridge or two away who get them large and plentiful enough to sell to restaurants. They tally their hauls in pounds. I still count caps. A good year is a few hundred, a bad year is less than 100. Last year wasn't good. This year is looking great, cool and damp.

Do you collect other species?

Have you grown your own?

What should i do with these dried ones?

A lonesome black-location, near buckshot mudder 2012. (i do find blacks to be less "congregated" than the yellows and grays.)
    Last edited by WadePatton; 03-29-2013 at 10:06 PM.