Quote Originally Posted by shand View Post
Why?

I see this time and time again and it's (almost) meaningless. It's incredibly difficult to NOT to fillet braze 2 tubes together and pass that test. Bicycles don't fail in that way. And if they do, they probably would have, no matter how good the join. There's exceptions to this of course (mostly joins that are waaay too cold) but it really is a waste of time.

The pics below show someone who visited our workshop for a day. He'd never even held a torch before and this was the first and only braze he did. It was on the unbutted section of 2 scrap tubes (0.7) and the miter was done in about 45 seconds with a hacksaw and file. There was a 4mm gap on the miter on one side! It passed the vice test. We had to put a 3 foot cheater bar on it to break it. It proves nothing.

IMG_4983_.jpg

IMG_4985_.jpg
Thanks! Good to know. It just seems like standard operating procedure to test your first joints. I'm guessing the guy in your shop had your watchful eye and I'm guessing you set up the torch for him. It would seem that Mayan is flying solo, so all the pre brazing steps are unsupervised as well. If anything it would be a boost of confidence, or affirmation, and that's not such a bad thing.