User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Automatic coffee makers - Anyone have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Automatic coffee makers - Anyone have one?

I don't drink much coffee. But I should start. I've basically been addicted to Coca Cola products since college and should probably change where I get my caffeine. Coffee is shown to have some non-negative characteristics. Coca-Cola and Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi (my poison of choice) have benefits only for my portfolio, as I own a few shares here and there of these mega companies.

When I lived overseas we owned very nice Jura coffee machine but we didn't use it all that often. Nevertheless, it did make great coffee.

When I drink coffee, which is essentially only overseas and then I'll have a Cappucco (Ticinese slang for Cappuccino from what I recall) or something of that sort and the very occasional Espresso.

I refuse to get a Mr. Coffee or something American of that nature that turns clear water brown.

Does anyone have one of the nice automatic machines? Suggestions?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automatic coffee makers - Anyone have one?

I have a Jura Capresso and it's good. But for simplicity and strong coffee, go with a french press or Bialetti stove top. Its the same amount of work (between turning on the machine, the heat-up, the rinse, then choosing the size/strength, making sure there are beans, and making sure there is water) versus filling up the bialetti, adding grounds, turning on stove. Time difference is only a few minutes.

If I was to start over - I'd get a more manual setup.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a built in Bosch that seems to do a good job. Makes good coffee....though the beans you choose are such a big part of that. We didn't plumb it directly to the water supply, so it's a PIA to keep refilling the water.

I thought there was a gentleman in California that hand builds some really good machines too. Salvatore maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was given a Nespresso machine last year as a gift. Before that I mainly used a french press. I didn't want to love the Nespresso, but it's good and so easy. I can roll out of bed and have a solid double espresso before I'm even remotely awake. I can make cappucino or espresso with it pretty easily too. And when I want something more like regular coffee I use the lungo mode for a little more water. Pretty versatile machine, actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saeco Vienna Plus and Madcap beans. It takes some fiddling initially to get the dose/serving ratio correct, but the coffee is damn decent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

French press.
    Plus a grinder.

Easier to do than a Bialetti.
    Cheaper initial investment.
    More caffeine in the final drink than espresso.
    Can be taken when travelling (for that PRO feeling).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with the French press ideas. If you want something more automatic I would suggest a Keurig type brewer as they are easy to brew what you want with really no clean-up. I personally prefer my aero-press (plastic press for espresso), but find myself using the Keurig almost every weekday when I don't want to spend 5 minutes with grinding and clean-up. It depends on personal preference and what you want to make that will really suit your needs. There are multiple choices for making cappuccino on the market, but I haven't purchased any yet so I can't recommend any!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moccamaster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed this and a burr grinder will make excellent coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Moccamaster.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    If I was to start over - I'd get a more manual setup.
    I'm going to equate coffee making with one of the other evident non-cycling obsessions on this board: DE razor shaving. I think exactly the same approach, and benefits, that one can find from DE razors over cartridge can be found in a good use of an aeropress or filter brewer. You have the ritual, you have the learning and, eventually, the better result.

You also, importantly for a bunch of product obsessed men, have product. As an entry level start you can get an aeropress ($50) with an Able Brewing filter ($15). Able Brewing will give you that good warm feeling inside as you are supporting a small American company.

Then you start adding in beautiful hand grinders such as the Japanese Porlex and you are really mixing it up.

Porlex Mini hand grinder by skinnydiver, on Flickr

And, of course, you have the whole range of beans from small, start-up, passionate companies.

Then there are all the upgrades and tweaks you can make. I will eventually probably try to buy some hand tweaked espresso maker and pair it with a gonzlab tamper.

Curtis Odom Espresso Tamper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any workplace I'm in has to have a decent coffee machine, can't get through vintage without the requisite number of double shot espressos.

If you drink a reasonable amount of coffee and want an auto load machine, consider a Saeco Royal. In my experience these will stand up to a reasonable amount of abuse and if fed decent coffee and adjusted properly they make an acceptable brew*.

If you want something better you need something more manual so you can fiddle with adjustments. The standard recommendation is a Rancilio Sylvia with an aftermarket PID temperature controller fitted.

If you don't drink much coffee, consider one of the "pod" machines. The coffee is only just OK quality and it's very expensive per kilo but for occasional use that's not a big problem and the fact that it stays sealed until used can make it cheaper than throwing out the stale unused portion of the fresh beans you bought last week.

* Download the manual and read it properly. Good results depend on adjusting the grinder gap to get good crema. The machine's biggest flaw is that the spent bean disposal is less than perfect which can gum up the works. The machine we've got here requires cleaning about every week - I take the central unit out and blow it clean with compressed air.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a good kettle, decent grinder, 2 sizes of French Press, and a small Moka pot, and you're golden.
    Add a cone/pourover maker, and you have yet another bit of variety.
    All for the same price (maybe less?) than a countertop machine.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nespresso. Hard to beat the convenience of it. It would not be the very finest espresso but it's good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're not drinking a lot of coffee, or aren't sure you'll be drinking a lot of coffee, I can't see buying anything other than an Aeropress.
    If you travel a lot, and need something that travels better than a countertop unit, Aeropress.
    If you're cheap, Aeropress.

If you're lazy to the point of needing someone else to trim your toenails, maybe the Aeropress is too much work.

Get a good grinder and the coffee's as good as 90%+ of coffee places out there. Use a shitty grinder and the coffee's still pretty great. Use pre-ground Maxwell House and it's still an order of magnitude better than what you'd buy at a gas station and/or airport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with automatic machines has been that they aren't any quicker or simpler to get a cup of GOOD coffee out of than with a french press or manual espresso machine if you want to go that route. My Capresso C1000 took weeks to dial in and figure out and wastes more water cleaning itself than you can imagine. To do it over again, I'd spend a couple hundred extra bucks and go with the Silvano by Quick Mill and have control over the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Nespresso. Hard to beat the convenience of it. It would not be the very finest espresso but it's good.
    +2 on the Nespresso - I paid $199 for the basic maching and it is 10 yrs old with no sign of fatigue. Espresso or Lungo's from the machine/capsules are bomb proof and produce a good crema - you will be hard pressed to replicate this from another system and if you prefer a Cappuccino/Espresso then it is the crema you are looking for, stay away fro the K-cup- this will not produce any crema, you would be better off with a French Press. The Nespresso system takes care of so many variables - water temp/pressure, grinding coffee, good choice of coffees, convenience to set up and clean up (very important IMO).....I am drinking a good cup within 2 minutes of getting out of bed and another fresh one 10 minutes later, which if you make the switch to coffee from Coke (and become addicted)it will be important to get your morning started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like French Presses for a couple reasons. One if that you have a lot of control over how your coffee comes out, for very little $ invested; all you need is a decent burr grinder. I have problems with the acidity of coffee, so I need highly roasted beans. I can use a lot of grounds and minimize the steep time, which gives a very rich cup but low on acidity and bitterness. Another advantage of French press is that there's very few parts to clean. The Aeropress is also a good choice but it just doesn't do anything for me in terms of appeal. Here is a good review of the Aeropress though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not too often that I need to make more than one or two cups at a time, or I'd have that Moccamaster in my possession...you can appreciate that it's Euro designed...classic. If you're just looking for a quick cup, it is hard to beat the Keurig or Netspresso machines for convenience IMHO. I was at a conference a while back and the hotel rooms were outfitted with Netspresso machines...it took me a week to detox following the trip and all of the women that I passed on the street looked Swiss.

I'm still in the Stone Age with my Bialetti and Aerolatte frother, but it does the job and brewing a cup becomes somewhat of a ritual while getting prepped for a ride on a cold morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technivorm Moccamaster or Bonavita bv1800 if you want a machine.

I am on the manual side of things.

I use a Bonavita Kettle so that I know the water temperature and have great control of the pour.

I have an Orphan Espresso LIDO Grinder that I really enjoy and produces fantastic results. This thing is hand made in the US, which is a plus.

I use a Bonmac Ceramic Pourover and a nice insulated carafe when I want to make 4-6 cups.

I use the Aeropress for quick small batches.

For me the Aeropress is very hard to beat. The quality of the coffee that it produces is extremely high, it just makes a very small amount.

The setup I have is really good, and doesn't take up counter space, which is important to me. I enjoy the process and it doesn't take that long.

If I was making coffee for more than 3+ people consistently, it would probably get to be a bit much. For 2 it is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stayed at a B&B this weekend that had a Keurig in the breakfast room. I had (maybe willfully) forgotten how high the coffee-quality-to-effort ratio is with those things. I literally cannot imagine an easier way to make good coffee. Yeah, it's wasteful, expensive, and ridiculous. But lots of life is these days.