Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Chef Knives?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Chef Knives?

That looks like a great knife, Jay. Can you tell us your thought process and how you came to the decision to purchase that particular one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have a hard time telling what my thought process is getting out the door in the morning.

But:

I spent an inordinate amount of time poring over pages of knives till they blurred together and I found an affinity for a particular blade shape.

The Nakiri I have is basic, purchased at Hida Tool. Western handle. Stainless.

Something traditional, that required care- I only cook for myself so that should be relatively easy to have become second-nature.

I had a budget, sort of, that got a bit bigger the longer I looked. So price mattered.

The finish of the knife appears excellent. The hammer pattern on the blade had a strong appeal. It's reputed sharpness as well.

So something different and better than what I have.

Nothing like the process of choosing a bike.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late to the thread, but my wife is the chef of the family (I cook over fire mostly) and so I usually buy her one knife a year, slowly rotating out the ones that are too nicked to sharpen anymore.
    I read a few years ago that Global was good bang for the buck and started buying them, making no mention to her that they’re Japanese, not German, and way more reasonably priced. Now she specifically asks for them.
    I like the santoku shapes best myself. And there’s a small one with very fine serrations that is perfect for cutting tomatoes and peppers.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 10-17-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I decided on this:

https://www.japanny.com/collections/...053601427529-1

A birthday present to myself.
    Nice choice.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Late to the thread, but my wife is the chef of the family (I cook over fire mostly) and so I usually buy her one knife a year, slowly rotating out the ones that are too nicked to sharpen anymore.
    I read a few years ago that Global was good bang for the buck and started buying them, making no mention to her that they’re Japanese, not German, and way more reasonably priced. Now she specifically asks for them.
    I like the santoku shapes best myself. And there’s a small one with very fine serrations that is perfect for cutting tomatoes and peppers.
    Bourdain mentioned that he used a Global in Kitchen Confidential. If it's good enough for me I'm sure it's good enough for most of us haha.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The knife I ordered arrived today. It is exactly as described. Light and very sharp. Exceptionally well-made and finished. It makes a different sound when cutting than my other knives, with noticeably less effort.

I had about ten emails from the seller and shipper before it arrived. Excellent customer service, I'd say.

I am very pleased.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Light and very sharp. ... It makes a different sound when cutting than my other knives
    If it's lighter for the same length it will have a lower resonant frequency: The speed of sound in the material will be the same (being the square root of the ratio of modulus to density) so the resonant frequency will be proportional to the thickness divided by the square of length.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Just got my first Japanese knife, a Takamura 180mm gyuto. It's fantastic. So thin, so sharp, looking forward to seeing how the steel holds up.

It is interesting comparing it to my 8" Wusthof Classic chef knife. The steel is half as thick on the Takamura, but is ground differently. The Wusthof has a full flat grind, so from the spine to the cutting edge it's getting thinner the whole way down. The Takamura maintains it's full thickness until about half way down to the cutting edge.

yeah, these takamura are great value, super nice stainless steel choice. I have a chef friend who has 2, and they are sharp
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a pair of lasers by Alexander Bazes.
    [IMG]pair of bazes by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are beautiful.

Anyone aware of any Black Friday deals for Japanese knives? Thinking of buying myself another knife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
    Anyone aware of any Black Friday deals for Japanese knives? Thinking of buying myself another knife.
    MTC Kitchen has 20% off site wide, though some brands are excluded. If you've ever wanted to purchase a Hasegawa cutting board it's a good time because the code does apply to them. Code BLKDEAL20

Knives and Stones has 10% off site wide. Code BCFM2020 Their Australian site also has some deals and will ship to the US.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    If you've ever wanted to purchase a Hasegawa cutting board it's a good time because the code does apply to them. Code BLKDEAL20
    Didn't know that's something I wanted, but now considering a 60x30cm polyethylene model.

Thanks for the links. I have a knife in mind, but haven't been able to find it. I'd like to have something ~200mm long, 60-65mm tall, with a useful tip and preference for carbon. This Takeda is the closest I've come, but would prefer more of a pointed tip if I'm being picky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hasegawa boards are quite nice. I have one of the tan colored wooden core models and I like it a lot.

I imagine that the 60mm height is a big deal in your quest and that will be hard to find. If it's not an absolute, I think this is good deal and it's made by a highly regarded blacksmith. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2556-Japane...97.m4902.l9144

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the feedback. Yes, the tall blade is definitely what I'm looking for and would like a relatively flat profile. I have used German stainless in the kitchen until a year ago when I bought an inexpensive carbon bunka and have used it almost exclusively since. The Takeda is so close to what I've been daydreaming of and I don't have the knowledge or experience with this kind of knife to commission a custom, so today I ordered that somewhat unique Takeda.

I'm leaning toward ordering smaller polyethylene (brown) Hasegawa to sit atop my big maple Boos. I'm concerned the soft rubber one may be too soft. Cutting sashimi is not a regular occurrence in my house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps the shape you are looking for, is called a kiritsuke?

As a traditional shape, they tend to be single bevel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Perhaps the shape you are looking for, is called a kiritsuke?

As a traditional shape, they tend to be single bevel.
    The tip, yes. But otherwise, no. From almost any maker a kiritsuke is not as tall as I am looking for and I do want a double bevel. Takeda makes a slightly longer version of the knife I ordered for CKTG that they call a kiritsuke, but that's out of line with what you see from other makers and is still not as tall as I am after. I understand the need to call a knife one thing or another in order to organize it within a website. The word/name itself is unimportant to me. It's the combination of features, which the Takeda I ordered has, if not as defined a tip as I might want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tip, yes. But otherwise, no. From almost any maker a kiritsuke is not as tall as I am looking for and I do want a double bevel. Takeda makes a slightly longer version of the knife I ordered for CKTG that they call a kiritsuke, but that's out of line with what you see from other makers and is still not as tall as I am after. I understand the need to call a knife one thing or another in order to organize it within a website. The word/name itself is unimportant to me. It's the combination of features, which the Takeda I ordered has, if not as defined a tip as I might want.
    kind of like a bunka, maybe slighty taller. if any of you all need sharpening services, I will do it for the price of shipping it to me...
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty awed by the weight of this thing Blade is a full 22cm. Stoked to use it, but I don't want my kids to catch me before Christmas.

Takeda Aogami Super "Classic" by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty awed by the weight of this thing Blade is a full 22cm. Stoked to use it, but I don't want my kids to catch me before Christmas.

Takeda Aogami Super "Classic" by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr
    people really love their takedas. not enough bevel to polish for me, haha. they are well made
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really light for the size.