Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
Just got my first Japanese knife, a Takamura 180mm gyuto. It's fantastic. So thin, so sharp, looking forward to seeing how the steel holds up.

It is interesting comparing it to my 8" Wusthof Classic chef knife. The steel is half as thick on the Takamura, but is ground differently. The Wusthof has a full flat grind, so from the spine to the cutting edge it's getting thinner the whole way down. The Takamura maintains it's full thickness until about half way down to the cutting edge.

A few years ago I did an impulse buy and got a Tojiro DP chef's knife. It was superior to my Henkels and Wustofs in every way: sharpened to a higher level, was easier to sharpen, and sliced better a month after sharpening than the Henkels and Wustofs did when freshly sharpened. I've learned that the Tojiro is considered a decent and affordable knife but by no means a great knife. Ever since I've wondered what I would buy in the $250-300 range (for a 240mm Gyuto) but there are so many choices that my eyes glaze over. How do ya choose?