Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chef Knives?

I know there are some accomplished pro chefs on this board and I am looking for some knife recommendations for my son.

He is 21 and has been in the kitchen of a casual/fine dining restaurant full time for just over two years. He started off as a "dish pig" and is now on the line. He has always liked to be in the kitchen with me cooking since he was little and talked about being a chef one day, but the reality of the kitchen kicked the shit out of him and after 18 months at another kitchen (an iron chef winner) he quit and enrolled in film school. After a semester of film school he decided that maybe the kitchen was the place for him after all and landed at his current kitchen.

He moved out a couple of months ago and has really grown up and become a lot more serious about his future, and realizes that if he applies himself he is rewarded appropriately. His room mate and him (another cook) have both been getting "stage" positions on their days off in some pretty hot kitchens and he is fired up about the possibilities of moving forward in training and experience.

He currently uses the house knives at work and I gave him my old set of Henckels "Classics" that he uses at home but he wants to get one good, to great, chef's knife for himself. He wants a carbon steel blade and is left handed.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by vjp; 02-28-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo