Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1'' threaded steerer tube??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1'' threaded steerer tube??

I've been looking for a steerer tube to repair an old bmx fork, i cannot find a staight gauge one that will work with a old 21.1mm quill stem. Nova sells some that are butted at one end but im unfirmilar with the sizing of butted tubing. It states:

25.4 x 2.3/1.5 x 300

Butt length = 50 Taper length = 30

I'm lost on the 2.3/1.5 measurement and the 50/30 measurement for the butt and taper. Would a quill stem work with those numbers?? I have considere a dye but they are expensive, i also considered cutting a long steerer off an old road bike or something but i realy hate to do that.

Thanks for any help or advise!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1'' threaded steerer tube??

Tom,
    I can help with the measurements

25.4 OD 2.3mm wall at the thick end, 1.5mm Wall at the butted end. The butt is 50mm long on the thin and and tapers to the thick for 30mm. And 300mm is total length.

25.4 - (2.3wall*2) (each side) = 20.8mm ID on the thick end
    25.4 - (1.5wall*2) (each side) = 22.4mm ID on the butted end

-Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Todd, i could not figure how to convert the numbers to wall thickness. So that would not work with out machinig out the inside of the thicker side, or some how finding a shim that would split the difference. This has got me beat up here :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone out there know someone who could make me one or a company that sells them? I have searched Nova, Ceeway, Paragon to no avail... I need one 7'' long, 2'' of threads, .083 wall. I have a crown race from Paragon, i just need the threaded tube. Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomknox View Post
    Does anyone out there know someone who could make me one or a company that sells them? I have searched Nova, Ceeway, Paragon to no avail... I need one 7'' long, 2'' of threads, .083 wall. I have a crown race from Paragon, i just need the threaded tube. Thanks!!
    Wald makes a shim that will make your 21.1 stem work inside sneerers meant for 22.2.
    As for the steerer aircraft spruce or similar suppliers sell 4130 tube by the foot.
    It would just need to be threaded on a lathe or at a shop that has the proper dies.
    Unlikely it would be economical for me to do this for you unless you're nearby...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One like this?

Wald Seat Post Bushing #9 Makes 13/16" To 7/8" | BikepartsUSA

Would that allow me to safely use my stem with that steerer from nova? It would be a .2mm tolerence left(i think), my only other concern would be if the shim length would need to be so long that its around the wedge that holds it all together....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom,

A BMX fork uses a heavier steer tube than a regular road bike. The Nova part will be OK for riding around but it will be iffy for BMX. Also, your stem and (maybe) headset will not fit right. If the fork is valuable, perhaps you could cut a steer tube from a donor - otherwise, maybe look 'round for a nice, NOS threaded Odyssey or Landing Gear.

Good luck!

jn

"Thursday"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advise! This bike will be a show/ride around the block bike, no jumping. Now after learning that Nova wants 15 bucks to ship a steerer to me i've decided to get a donor fork shipped for less. Thanks again for everyones help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomknox View Post
    Thanks for the advise! This bike will be a show/ride around the block bike, no jumping. Now after learning that Nova wants 15 bucks to ship a steerer to me i've decided to get a donor fork shipped for less. Thanks again for everyones help!
    Did you use the shipping estimate function on the Nova site? It has a habit of over-estimating on the nickel and dime orders like that. You should call and get an accurate quote.