Likes Likes:  0

Thread: spring/fall jacket advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default spring/fall jacket advice

I've been thinking its time to invest in a decent spring/fall jacket, something that I could even pair with a heavy sweater for winter usage as well. Would like something that would be a great travel jacket, with some water resistance.

One that has caught my eye is the Barbour Wessex

Might be a tad on the flashy side for me, but I like the field/mountaineering jacket look and I think the pockets would be useful when traveling.

I've also found the Nau Motil Trench and Marmot Camden Jacket nice looking.

Any other recommendations of stuff to look at? Would like to get something nice that would hold up to heavy usage and last a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: spring/fall jacket advice

Right on. I've got a Barbour and Nau coat so I hope I can help.

The Barbour is an OK coat. My bedale isn't very warm on it's own, so I"ve got to wear sweaters. I also find that (at least in my head) the waxed cotton doesn't breathe all that well, and I get sweaty very easily. Looks great though.

My Nau jacket, while not being nearly as of the moment as a Barbour, gets worn 95 times out of 100. Warmer, lighter, breathes better, cut is awesome. They clean up easily and the water resistance has stayed very strong over about a year and a half's regular usage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

non-breathing waxed cotton could be a deal breaker. the last thing I want is to be sweaty all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Nau 'riding jacket' (synthetic blazer) and one of their wool blazers.
    Great stuff, great fit.
    The synthetic one is truly 3 -season, I abuse it on constant travels, and the wool one is warm enough for most days of the winter. Highly recommended.

I get tons of compliments on the riding jacket, but it is decidedly not very formal.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prolix21 View Post
    non-breathing waxed cotton could be a deal breaker. the last thing I want is to be sweaty all the time.
    Waxed cotton was state of the art in 1895, not so much today.

I wear my Patagonia R4 fleece from 30-60 degrees. I've gone through three in the past 11 years.

Patagonia's down sweaters are really nice, too.

For something a little dressier, I like my Bemidji Woolen Mills Voyageurs Jac Coat: Bemidji Woolen Mills - Menswear - Voyageurs Jac Coat

Edit: Oops, I totally missed the water resistant requirement. I'd probably look at one of Patagonia's soft shells.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

filson.
    for wool or waxed cotton.
    thank me later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The options are an 1895 mountaineering coat, a cropped trench coat, and a snowboarding jacket? No.

If you're going to get a Barbour, get an International (if you own a motorcycle) or a Beaufort or Border (if you own a farm). The Cowen is nice too, if you served.

If you want to get a trench, get a proper one - Burberry or Aquascutum (or Brooks, actually). Double-breasted with belt, storm flap, and lambchop.

Don't get a snowboarding jacket unless you're going snowboarding.

For hanging about in the City, I'd consider a Filson Hoquiam, Filson Greenwood, Filson Whipcord Bomber or Filson Weekender. I own a Double Mac Cruiser and a Packer and I find them very good for outdoor wear. I don't wear them in the City though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking its time to invest in a decent spring/fall jacket, something that I could even pair with a heavy sweater for winter usage as well. Would like something that would be a great travel jacket, with some water resistance.

Any other recommendations of stuff to look at? Would like to get something nice that would hold up to heavy usage and last a while.
    How "dressy" for a lack of better term, do you want it to be? The Barbour and the Marmot are very different coats. You can wear the Barbour over a suit and it'll be fine. The Marmot, not so much.

Without any more details, I'd go with whatever speaks to you from Barbour or Filson. I find Barbour stuff to be more versatile, style wise, but I own more Filson stuff.

I don't find waxed cotton to be a problem. Sure, it doesn't breathe a ton, but you're wearing this in the cold, right?

EDIT: Christian is right, go with what he says. I'd add Filson's new 1897 piece to the stuf to buy. It's ligher than a normal Mac, and I like to pair it with my tin cloth cruiser or a Pointer chore coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the examples I posted are kinda all over the place in terms of style/usage, mainly b/c I'm not sure what I want. Too many good options perhaps

The main thing is that it can stand up to rain and be suitable for traveling. First big usage will probably be around Germany and Switzerland in early May. Not a major need for 'dressy'. Not a major insulation requirement either as I tend to run hot anyway and would rather layer up when necessary. Gonna be wearing it with a backpack and some boots most of the time.

Looking at the Filson stuff I like the Greenwood Jackets and really most of what they offer.

Also noticed an Orvis store opened up nearby, might swing by there and see what fit is like. Sounds like their stuff can be hit and miss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all the stuff about Barbour being hot and sweaty and all that nonsense, really a Barbour Beaufort is pretty much the perfect jacket for that. Undershirt, shirt, and the jacket are comfortable into the 50s, maybe 60s. With layers and/or a liner, you can easily take it down into the 20s. I wear mine all the time, really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the Filson stuff I like the Greenwood Jackets and really most of what they offer.

Also noticed an Orvis store opened up nearby, might swing by there and see what fit is like. Sounds like their stuff can be hit and miss.
    The greenwood looks too warm for me*. Keep in mind that most of the Filson stuff was designed for people that had to live outdoors. It's stil made to that standard. The single macinaws are pretty thick. The doubles are overkill. I was wearing my Alaskan Tuxedo with an OCBD last night in the mid 30s, and walking around it was fine. Different story if you're just sitting there, but since you run hot, I'd be careful about getting too much coat. The wool has fine water resistance in my book, too. It won't be great in the pouring rain, but will do fine in off and on rain.

Another thing on Filson, stick to the made in US stuff. Lots of the outsourced stuff they've been sneaking in looks pretty shitty in person. Same goes for their new denim.

*EDIT: looking at the wool greenwood here. The shelter cloth would be lighter and probably a better choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Cody says is spot on. The traditional Filson stuff is good for all-day outdoor wear in the cold, especially stuff with stop-start activity patterns. I wear my double mac cruiser snowblowing, tapping sugar maples, and when I know I'll be standing around in the woods. For urban/urbane exploration, a Barbour is more versatile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decide where you will wear it. If you are a town/urban person, get a mid length trench
    Mid-Length Single Breasted Trench Coat | Burberry
    if you are more country, a mid-length wax jacket like barbour, but go classic. The newer barbour with all the pockets will not age well and soon look dated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically whatever dream I had of a all-in-one jacket is out the window. I'm sure it was never in the window. That Burberry trench is killer. Gonna go dig in the sofa for spare change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically whatever dream I had of a all-in-one jacket is out the window. I'm sure it was never in the window. That Burberry trench is killer. Gonna go dig in the sofa for spare change.
    I duuno. I think you can have one coat as a foundation. Something like a Beaufort or Bedale that is light on its own and has a zip in liner can be very versatile. No liner for warmer temps, lined for medium cold, and layered with a sweater for really cold temps. It's how I think of my Filson jackets - the tin cloth cruiser or Alaskan Tux on its own for warmer, together for cold, and add a sweater under for really really cold.

Also, Barbour and Filson stuff looks better when worn forever. Patagonia and the ilk not so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a very very narrow plane of existence, then maybe an all-in-one jacket works. But if you have half a life, it doesn't. A wax jackets looks good on a wet, dreary day. On a sunny spring day, not so nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    I duuno. I think you can have one coat as a foundation.
    I have a whole closet full of coats (I live in northern Minnesota), but I just realized that when I'm traveling for an extended period where the weather will likely be chilly and damp (as the OP suggests he might) I bring a 3/4 length trench made out of wool with light insulation. I got mine at Benetton five years or so ago, and it looks like this one (except mine is more brown than grey).

It's probably not perfect for anything, but it's proven good enough for just about everything. I rarely feel under- or over-dressed in it. It's been the only coat I've packed on January trips to London, Paris, and Istanbul. Of the closet full of coats I own, it's always been the best choice when I am only going to bring one.

As for the rain... I just buy an umbrella on the street if I need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I currently have a closet full of coats, most of which are rather worn our or don't fit anymore, etc.

I've been in need of a trench coat anyway, and I like the flexibility of it. Might look for a wool 3/4 to replace the current wool coat I have that's looking a bit worse for wear.

On the jacket front I am going to try and pop over to Orvis and check out their heritage and summer field jackets. See if that style even looks good on me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Light weight 3/4 trench aka a Mac jacket would be my suggestion for smart looking travel to Europe in the spring.

Back in about 2001 I had got a nice khaki one from Gap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fjällräven - Men's Greenland Jacket

perfect over a sweater...unlike barbour coats you can wash this and reapply the wax yourself