Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Slip fit tolerance, help, can't visualize

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Slip fit tolerance, help, can't visualize

Working on a special project. Need to source 304L from an uncommon source. ID of the 304L is 32mm. XCr is 31.7 OD. My question is about the gap. Can it be filled with Harris 45T?

There is a slightly smaller 304L ID option which is 31.62.

If it were you would you fill the gap with 45T or enlarge the ID of the 31.62?

Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Slip fit tolerance, help, can't visualize

I'm sure sure someone more experienced will chime in, but I've always been taught that regular 56% silver can fill .005" gaps. As .3mm is 0.011811" (slightly more than double the gap), and lower silver content filler can fill larger gaps, that the 45t might be worth a shot. At the very least, do a test on a couple of scraps and then cut 'em apart, see if you get good flow without any gaps.
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Eldridge View Post
    Working on a special project. Need to source 304L from an uncommon source. ID of the 304L is 32mm. XCr is 31.7 OD. My question is about the gap. Can it be filled with Harris 45T?

There is a slightly smaller 304L ID option which is 31.62.

If it were you would you fill the gap with 45T or enlarge the ID of the 31.62?

Adam

Your total gap is 0.012", but that's on the diameter. Divide by two to get the gap between the tubes on the radius, so you're looking at filling a gap of 0.006" with silver.

Consider that the gap between a piece of 1 1/8" x 058 slipped over a piece of 1" is 0.009", or 0.0045" on the radius, so you're not too far outside what's considered acceptable.

Sounds like a good application for the Fillet Pro that Dave B sells although, depending on the specific application, you might be fine with regular old 56%.

I've never used 45T so I can't comment on whether that would work, but maybe it would be fine too.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

45 is pretty good at filling gaps. I haven't used it fot this, but If I was using silver, thats probably what I would try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alistair is smarter than me because math is hard. DARN YOU, DIVIDE BY TWO!
    Pete Ruckelshaus * Teacher, Fat Guy on a Bike * Collegeville, PA

pruckelshaus' flickr
    Framejig.wordpress.com effort to collect DIY framebuilding jig designs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

45T is by harris. The main difference is it flows with more viscosity. I personally dont use Fillet Pro.. I use 45T for all my fillets on Stainless.

The slip fit is for a cosmetic lug. Nothing wild.

Thanks Alistair, Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Your total gap is 0.012", but that's on the diameter. Divide by two to get the gap between the tubes on the radius, so you're looking at filling a gap of 0.006" with silver.

Consider that the gap between a piece of 1 1/8" x 058 slipped over a piece of 1" is 0.009", or 0.0045" on the radius, so you're not too far outside what's considered acceptable.

Sounds like a good application for the Fillet Pro that Dave B sells although, depending on the specific application, you might be fine with regular old 56%.

I've never used 45T so I can't comment on whether that would work, but maybe it would be fine too.

Alistair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adam,

Precision is always the best course of action. Buy the smaller ID and open it up on the lathe to the desired fit for silver brazing...a sloppy fit will always be less than ideal.