Thread: shoulder replacement surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default shoulder replacement surgery

has anybody had this?
    i had a bad car/ bike accident 2 yrs ago and it looks like i am headed in this direction.
    i would love some idea of what to expect ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: shoulder replacement surgery

What specifically (if you don't mind sharing) is the issue with your shoulder? I haven't had this, but I have partially torn labrum in both shoulders and my left shoulder mobility is jacked up after breaking my collarbone against a minivan last year. I'm hoping I don't have to go in this direction too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- steve,

had back in 68 by great group surgeons at/in a field hospital, along with left hip.. hell, was "ready-teddy" for action in the field and at madam chee's, in no time.
    shrapnel had to be removed from left hip, still a pain in the "close to ass.."
    left shoulder is no problem, hell i had a great in line high ball toss for my serve --- even bro darren would have smiled..

just "nike" with a smile & canoe paddle,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll also ask what's going on in the shoulder?

All the total shoulders I've seen have been in geriatrics with obliterated rotator cuffs and bad arthritis. Outcomes were marginally functional. I'd guess your prognosis is better, but still curious as to the condition of the shoulder. PM if you wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yo need

been sittin on a slap tear of my right labrum for about, uh, 20-something years. I don't bother it, it don't bother me.

what am I probably lookin at for getting this fixed?

was putting it off while I was still racing, but seems like the time now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    yo need

been sittin on a slap tear of my right labrum for about, uh, 20-something years. I don't bother it, it don't bother me.

Old SLAP is anyone's guess. Has it been dislocated? An MRI would get the surgeon in the ballpark but the labrum can pretty tricky to see. I'd think it doubtful that the labrum could be "repaired." More likely they'd want to just clean up the frayed, nasty bits. The good news to that is the rehab would be a lot faster. Didn't you just retire from the POA team? Have you talked to a doc there? Steadman-Hawkins in G'ville is good as is Dr Andrew's clinic in Birmingham (not sure of the name).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    yo need

Just curious, Why have surgery if it doesn't bother you? No surgery is without risk, and definitely a painful affair.
    Not racing? Used to read your blog. Did the old injury return?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it bothers me if I attempt to lift weights, swim, or even use an elliptical. I hurts sometimes from the bike, but not often. It's just something that needs to be fixed, because it's been fucked for a while.

I re-read the old report, it's a Bankhart lesion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Bankart is a little different than a SLAP. The bigger question is how stable is the shoulder? The cartilage tear with a Bankart creates hole or gap in the front of the labrum. If the shoulder is unstable and drops into this gap repeatedly, you can do some pretty lasting damage to the head of the humerus (Hill-Sachs lesion) and/or the glenoid (articulate surface of the scapula). SLAP is more akin to a torn meniscus in the knee--if you don't aggravate it and it doesn't limit motion, you can wait it out. If your shoulder is anything like your feet/ankles, get thee to a surgeon. If you're not feeling a lot of anterior and posterior shifting in the joint, you might be ok to stall a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it stays still and doesn't hurt if I don't fuck with it. if I fuck with it, my hand goes kinda numb, the shoulder starts bouncing around -- it's not any worse than it was 10 years ago, but yeah, it should get fixed eventually. the hard part is figuring out when I can stop having to use my writing hand for a few months.