Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tablet Reader - Flame war begins here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tablet Reader - Flame war begins here

You don't have to sell me. I'm poised to shuck my PC and laptop. Between these two devices + secure cloud services + VNC services he!! I'm freakin' Global.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Google Now is cool w/connectivity. So it's only marginally useful for a cheapskate like me.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    You don't have to sell me. I'm poised to shuck my PC and laptop. Between these two devices + secure cloud services + VNC services he!! I'm freakin' Global.
    Getting real clost myself. Maybe not this year, but I expect in the near future there will be a tablet good enough that it can cover all my personal computing and telephone needs.

Even if the tablet makers continue to hold the line on not adding full telephone features, google talk, skype and others work well enough for my purposes.

Unless by some miracle a tablet mfg figures out how to make the screen switch to paperwhite for reading, I'll probably keep the Kindle though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Google Now is cool w/connectivity. So it's only marginally useful for a cheapskate like me.
    Can't be cheaper than me; I know every free wifi spot along a 20 mile stretch.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Unless by some miracle a tablet mfg figures out how to make the screen switch to paperwhite for reading, I'll probably keep the Kindle though.
    Chrome supports inverted colors (white on black to black on white) for desktop; only a matter of time before it comes to tabs.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    Chrome supports inverted colors (white on black to black on white) for desktop; only a matter of time before it comes to tabs.
    For me anyway that would be the holy grail. One small device for all my personal on line activity. If I ever need to do max computing, there is always A FedEx Office near enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soon as I pressed send, realized I neglected to say my music is handled via The Music Vault which stores, downloads and plays streaming audio. I am deaf in one ear so have no need for a portable MP3 player, although I think there probably is a way to transfer audio from the Vault to a tab.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on my second iPad, the first was upgraded when I realized the extent to which I use the thing.

I have now, apart from when physically in my office, pretty much supplanted the laptop. I no longer bring the laptop with me anywhere for any trip of a week or less. The iPad will do everything I need.

I use it for reading, books and magazines. I subscribe to my magazines on it. And I buy books from the iBookstore, Chapters (Kobo) and Amazon (Kindle). The selections and prices are different in all three stores.

I also us the iPad for creating documents, presentations, reviewing material. With ScannerPro I use it for scanning and sending docs, etc.

It is pretty much the perfect device for me, except that I may possible upgrade this year to the 128 GB version just because I do use it for so much.

I still have the laptop, and will keep it but the only things I really use it for now are Garmin uploads, photo management and document management. I scan everything that comes into the house, file it get I backed up to the server and then shred the paper.

I can't see the iPad ever really being able to handle those chores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the road I'm headed down. Good thinking sir. I'm scouting secure cloud and physical home based servers and thinking hard about why I'd even bother managing my own hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    I am on my second iPad, the first was upgraded when I realized the extent to which I use the thing.

I have now, apart from when physically in my office, pretty much supplanted the laptop. I no longer bring the laptop with me anywhere for any trip of a week or less. The iPad will do everything I need.

I use it for reading, books and magazines. I subscribe to my magazines on it. And I buy books from the iBookstore, Chapters (Kobo) and Amazon (Kindle). The selections and prices are different in all three stores.

I also us the iPad for creating documents, presentations, reviewing material. With ScannerPro I use it for scanning and sending docs, etc.

It is pretty much the perfect device for me, except that I may possible upgrade this year to the 128 GB version just because I do use it for so much.

I still have the laptop, and will keep it but the only things I really use it for now are Garmin uploads, photo management and document management. I scan everything that comes into the house, file it get I backed up to the server and then shred the paper.

I can't see the iPad ever really being able to handle those chores.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123