Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bringheli Anvil Dummy Axle Adapter

Been wanting to get to this for a while now. I have the Anvil Dummy axles on my fork jig and I like them way better than the Bringheli's.

What I wanted:
    -No modification to the Jig (which would allow fellow Bringhelist's to use my adapter)
    -Quick Change over
    -Obviously use Anvil Dummy Axles
    -Keep the Dummy Axle centerlines the same so users can continue to use the Scale for BB Drop.
    -Keep the Dummy Axles Offset an easy to remember number.

What I came up with:

It uses a shaft that is turned to the exact diameter of the original Bringheli so it sits in the V the exact same way
    This shaft is then flatted to a precise dimension, allowing the mounting of the Adapter Top and Bottom Plates
    They function similar to how the Anvil DA is mounted in the Anvil Jig.

The end result is a Anvil Dummy Axle mounted in your Bringheli Jig exactly 50mm on center to the left of the original Dummy Axle.

I'm trying to see if there would be enough interest to send the parts to one of my vendors to have then run. If not I'm only planning on building 3 or 4 sets myself. 2 of which are already spoken for (me and another forum member). Also I'm taking this opportunity to see if anyone has suggestions or input before I start cutting metal.

Thanks - Todd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bringheli Anvil Dummy Axle Adapter

Looks really nice. If I still had my Bringheli I would want one.

If the hold-down plate was on top would it be easier to remove the frame from the jig with the axle still in the frame? You'd just have to add a correction constant to the BB drop graduation.

-Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joel,
    I'm going to do a few experiments at home to see how a finished frame comes out of the jig. I can't really remember how I pull it out, since it's not something I really think about when I do it. The hold down plate does slide back on that slot far enough to fully clear the axle however. Thanks for giving me something to think about, adding a correction constant wouldn't be that hard, it would be nice if I had one less thing to think about though!
    Thanks again -Todd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it would be more expensive (if you wanted to keep the height the same as the original) but you could make a z-shaped holder that would end up giving you the same setup as the anvil 2011 fork jig, seen here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After doing some testing last night, I found the frame comes out of my Jig a lot easier by rocking it back a bit. This is probably because it's been so heavily modified, so for now I'm sticking with the current design.
    I had a chance to get started on the prototype that I am making myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks cool, Todd!

My main complaint with the rear end bracket is the V that's cut in the vertical slider piece. Mine wasn't originally milled the best and so the dummy Axle sat on it lower on one side than the other. I have corrected that, for the most part, over the years, but it seems like every time I take the dummy axle out it goes back in slightly different spot. Therefore, for me, it would be cool to see that whole V arrangement eliminated.

I don't mock up chain stay/drop outs on the jig (I do that on an Anvil chain stay mitering fixture), and so having an Anvil dummy axle there hasn't as much benefit for me. However, your idea looks cool and it looks like it will work well. Plz let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Dave
    Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the clamping width on those anvil dummies? Been considering something similar for these ubi dummies I have (can't recall their clamp width off the top of my head- maybe 70?). I've got the bugs out of the jig- I think- but like the idea of cotinuity. As it stands, I braze and miter chainstays using the ubi, as the dropouts are held in phase. Switch over to the jig dummy only when it's time to tack the rear triangle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have one in my hands yet but they are 2.5" wide with a 0.500 nominal OD in the center section according to Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 cents from the hobbyist here, anything to avoid the rod and cone setup is a flying leap in the right direction. Purge-friendly pucks would be nice as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Input appreciated! Should have some initial designs for you guys up here by tomorrow or Wednesday!
    Thanks for the support everyone - it's really awesome making the leap, going out on my own, and not having to "look" for work. Between FARR Frameworks & PRESTA Automation it seems I'll be busy for the foreseeable future.
    Regards - Todd.
    Minds Create, Hands Build.
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back from the dead....
    Both front and rears (as well as lug vises) will be back in stock by early December.

Rear Features a few minor changes, most of which are styling related... However due to some feedback from the last run, this features a better way to adjust for the inconsistencies of the C-Channel width from Bringheli to Bringheli. It also features another pointer engraving mark if you want to put another scale on the top of the C-Channel for quicker setup of CS length.

Gearing up for another run of the rears, followed by a first run of fronts. If your interested in either hit me up through the website. #Bringheli #framejig #farrframeworks by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr

And here is the all new Front End. Angle and Slide are separated adjustments and rod has been removed. It comes with pucks for 44mm, 1.125 & 1.000 Headtubes.

Limited run of 5 of these bad boys coming up to replace the front end on Bringheli jigs. #framejig #Bringheli #farrframeworks #framebuilding by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr

Details by FARR Frameworks, on Flickr

Thanks - Todd
    Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride Fast, Ride FARR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where are you guys getting the metric measuring tapes that read both positive and negative? For example, the tape for BB drop below.

I've found this stuff, from Kreg, but it isn't available (that I've found) with both positive and negative on the same tape. I'd have to splice two pieces together, which isn't the end of the world, but one piece would be nice.
    147942.jpg

Btw Todd, your fixture mods look really nice.
    -------------------
    Matt Giaraffa
    Guerrilla Gravity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shot in the dark but wondering if anyone is selling one of the rear end setups that they bought off Todd