Thread: Yoga and/or Pilates

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yoga and/or Pilates

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    If you are suffering, you are doing your Yoga wrong. I can't speak for Pilates.
    Thanks Guy, so wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today, another 1:15 min. heated Flow class. I'm impressed...with the amt. of sweat I can produce ;) This is true delight to walk out of temps. in the teens into a hot room.

The stretching is fantastic, I'm hopeful that I won't break!

This is something I can do the entire year with additions for Olympic weights during the winter months I *think* I've managed to add one more arrow to my bag of tricks...fingers crossed.

*PS Kinda stoked I can still do a half decent bridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yoga is good for stretching, but fantastic for stress relief. The heated flow classes are my favorites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
    Yoga is good for stretching, but fantastic for stress relief. The heated flow classes are my favorites.
    Am I the only disgusting pig who needs a entire towel to soak up all the sweat? These people have no pores!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....many months later update.

I took a few months off so that I could ride my bike more. Now back to a regular 3 to 4 days per week practice.

I've turned a corner, it feels like the work is un-effing all the bad things years of long distance riding and lack of well rounded strength work has caused. Honestly, I was beginning to wonder if my sore knees were just going to get worse...turns out stretching and strength work via yoga pretty much fixed everything. I feel alot more durable than 6 months ago. Looking forward to the day I'm able to have creative daily practice on my own...it will take a while.

There a few things yoga can not fix and those will be a pest. My feet are pretty numb due to neuropathies from riding...days on end...at least I earned it??? Also, a long ago motorcycle accident did something bad to my neck. Yoga has greatly improved mobility I fear that will turn into "maintenance" rather than a return to feeling normal. NOT COMPLAINING just words to encourage anyone reading.

If you think you are too stiff or fragile in other ways to start...just fuggetaboutit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a good enough endorsement for me especially with the 2019 goals I've "published."

I imagine adopting a yoga practice will only help as things get harder over the next 27 weeks.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    That's a good enough endorsement for me especially with the 2019 goals I've "published."

I imagine adopting a yoga practice will only help as things get harder over the next 27 weeks.
    I'd like to hear how it goes. Since I'm fairly new to this I'm your Huckleberry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone who can't attend a class, or prefers to do their own thing at home check out Lindsey Samper on Youtube or Amazon Prime. She does a good job of talking you through poses and flows explaining common mistakes and reinforcing proper form. I am using some of her beginner videos to help recover from a recent injury / surgery.
    Dan Bare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Daylight just doesn't allow riding this time of year. I do spin classes at the wellness center and boot camp classes m-w-f at a funky old building downtown. The boot camp classes incorporate several yoga moves and a lot of stretching. Cycling had made me pretty one dimensional, I only had the flexibility needed to ride. Boot camp classes made me realize how messed up I was but each class gets better. My core is getting stronger, my back is getting thick, I can do 50 deep squats in a row, I can skip rope, and almost touch my toes. I have neuropathy, likely from chemical exposure in the Navy, and had pretty much given up on running, but I can make it around the block now. The numbness hasn't changed but it seems that my feet have "loosened up".
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Daylight just doesn't allow riding this time of year. I do spin classes at the wellness center and boot camp classes m-w-f at a funky old building downtown. The boot camp classes incorporate several yoga moves and a lot of stretching. Cycling had made me pretty one dimensional, I only had the flexibility needed to ride. Boot camp classes made me realize how messed up I was but each class gets better. My core is getting stronger, my back is getting thick, I can do 50 deep squats in a row, I can skip rope, and almost touch my toes. I have neuropathy, likely from chemical exposure in the Navy, and had pretty much given up on running, but I can make it around the block now. The numbness hasn't changed but it seems that my feet have "loosened up".
    Bill, same here I'm resolved the numbness will not get better. What does get better, you allude to, are engaging small movement proprioceptors in your foot/lower leg/ankles. I'm appreciating slow steady improvement via standing balance(s) blah blah blah you get it ;) LOL there is hope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gents,

Some of these issues . . . did you notice them getting worse over time -- year to year or season to season -- or did you kind've just wake up one day and recognize that things are a little effed? Did you ignore "warning signs" or tiny pains thinking that they'll go away soon enough?

Serious questions. They're not leading anywhere other than me trying to understand what's down the line and how to deal with it before I end up like my pop (70 years old and struggles to pick up my 3 year old niece).
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flexibility is just like fitness in general. The longer you ignore it the harder it is to get it back... Also like fitness it slips away in subtle ways, little by little until it just hits you how far you have fallen...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Gents,

Some of these issues . . . did you notice them getting worse over time -- year to year or season to season -- or did you kind've just wake up one day and recognize that things are a little effed? Did you ignore "warning signs" or tiny pains thinking that they'll go away soon enough?

Serious questions. They're not leading anywhere other than me trying to understand what's down the line and how to deal with it before I end up like my pop (70 years old and struggles to pick up my 3 year old niece).
    Your last sentence is the biggest motivator for me. 64, grandkids are 3yo, 1.5 yo and another expected about St. Patrick's day. Still want to be the fun grandpa who can do lots of stuff with them. Oh, and still ride my bike and ski well.

And, yes, guilty of ignoring warning signs and then having to do a lot of catch up work. As a matter of fact, that's the situation right now. Having a series of prolotherapy injections in one knee for osteoarthritis/ligament issues which have been nagging over time. Should that prove effective over the next 6 months I'll do the other knee as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like doing this every few days:

Its probably pretty basic, but its easy enough for me to fit it into a day when I'm also training. I notice it helps a lot when me knees start feeling a bit tightness, probably through my hips. She has a back and shoulders one I do sometimes as well.

Last year some of these felt super terrible, I couldnt even get into the positions without my fingers tingling due to something in my shoulders and back. I also add some foam roller to combat soreness for what its worth.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Bill, same here I'm resolved the numbness will not get better. What does get better, you allude to, are engaging small movement proprioceptors in your foot/lower leg/ankles. I'm appreciating slow steady improvement via standing balance(s) blah blah blah you get it ;) LOL there is hope.
    Lunges and one leg dead lifts were really hard for me and my poor balance. I stopped trying to use weights and just focused on my form. Now I've added the weight.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep at the balance stuff Bill. A betting man would say you'll compensate. I know this is the case for me, the progress in this regard is frustrating because I'm a hardhead.

S-Curran <<< What she is doing right there? That is my warmup preceded by a few sun salutations (A or B usually A).

To answer the question about how?! Some of it is reluctance to change my ways the rest is unnecessary acceptance of your physical and mental well being. Saying "it is a choice" is way to simple.

Some years ago I started doing mat Pilates because something had to change. My position on the bike was not the usual super comfortable one I'd known since forever. Doing the hard work in Pilates did the trick for a while however it did not address flexibility, I did not realize that at the time and is in a way quite rigid. Don't get me wrong Pilates is great stuff but really there are only a few moves...again not a criticism just deconstructing why one approach may work in a limited fashion. Yoga encourages quite alot of variation especially the "flow" style I'm most familiar with. Learning to customize your daily routine is, for now, key to me feeling great.

At this time of year I also lift Olympic weights because yah need to be fooookin' strong in life ;) When you lift a barbell there is nowhere to run nowhere to hide your entire body is engaged. Other than digging ditches and fighting Zombies with a ball peen hammer I really do not know a better way to do this.

So there you go. I'm a Yoga nerd for now.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 11-16-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, checking back. Things are really starting to click. Considering I *thought* I was pretty strong overall and reasonably flexible before this started is laughable now. At this point I do not see EVER taking a complete break from doing some Yoga on a regular basis.

I'm very fortunate to have found a studio where all the teachers are rockstars.

HAHA My next goal is a handstand. If I can manage that this year I'll post a video to prove it d@mnit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My update, I switched to afternoon workouts after getting my KICKR and Zwift setup. Morning workouts when I have to be at work before 7am are a little tough. Now I do Tuesday/Thursday boot camp classes 6-7pm and Zwift on the other days with weekend road rides. The boot camp classes are better, on lunges I can do them with weights and touch my back knee to the floor. I can do everything now, balance isn't as much of an issue. Riding on the KICKR is better cycling specific than the spin class and if I feel froggy, I can go longer than an hour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...the pandemic put a quash on my Yoga practice. Having spent considerable early mornings meeting for Mysore the loss of a physical studio, quite frankly, suk'd. I took a break BUT I'M back!!!

After alot of screwin' around with tech. I've setup a studio in our home gym where I'm able to project the teacher (zoom) on a screen infront of me. Using bone bluetooth headphones I'm able to hear the teachers very well and so it goes.

The setup is not rocket science. Using an IOS device, plug a lightning / HDMI cable in than use HDMI to your projector of choice. After you fire up ZOOM sync your bluetooth headset to the device and giddyup.

Once you are over the humiliation of not being surrounded by 20 sweating yogis focused on sharing breath and love, it seems less humiliating ;)

I'm here all day, ask questions.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 01-13-2021 at 12:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Well...the pandemic put a quash on my Yoga practice. Having spent considerable early mornings meeting for Mysore the loss of a physical studio, quite frankly, suk'd. I took a break BUT I'M back!!!

After alot of screwin' around with tech. I've setup a studio in our home gym where I'm able to project the teacher (zoom) on a screen infront of me. Using bone bluetooth headphones I'm able to hear the teachers very well and so it goes.

The setup is not rocket science. Using an IOS device, plug a lightning / HDMI cable in than use HDMI to your projector of choice. After you fire up ZOOM sync your bluetooth headset to the device and giddyup.

Once you are over the humiliation of not being surrounded by 20 sweating yogis focused on sharing breath and love, it seems less humiliating ;)

I'm here all day, ask questions.
    I'll bite. Any recommendations on instructors offering remote classes (live or pre-taped)? I've got the killer combo of bike racer and office desk worker back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast