Add another thumbs-up here for the Gaggia Classic/Silvia Rocky combo. I picked them both up last year for ~ $400 combined, and have run 2-3 drinks per day through them for the last 9 months. I can consistently make better shots than the local establishments, IMO, but don't live in an uber-hip area, either. Hard to beat these as first machines (*if you are willing to take some time to learn/address their subtleties).

The Rocky grinder doesn't have very fine adjustment, and the Gaggia machine doesn't have great temperature control. However, some of this can be made up for with user experience (e.g., in-between grind settings, purging steam/temp surfing to find the sweet spot, etc). Good, freshly-roasted beans are a good idea in general. Amazing how quickly the moisture content (?) can change in the beans, affecting shot times and grind fineness. I use a local roaster that is pretty good in terms of quality and consistency.

The Classic takes some work to get a decent shot, but it can be done. If convenience is more appealing than experimentation, an auto machine could be worth a look. Personally, I've enjoyed the pursuit of better espresso, but I'm probably not even in the ballpark...yet.