Thread: Espresso machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Espresso machines

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    And as far as grinders go, with some ebay hunting you can easily score a commercial level Mazzer (also rebranded as Rio and Astoria) at very reasonable prices. No plastic BS and very simple. Will last a lifetime.
    yep, local roaster here told me they bought a bunch of mazzer super jolly's for cheap when starbucks was getting rid of all that stuff.
    said they replaced the burrs on them and they all got put into coffee shops they've opened and they are all still working fine.

i'm looking for something like that, but there are priorities and to be honest, i make pretty ok espresso at home with my current modest setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want good coffee all you need is a hand grinder, an aeropress (or some kind of paper filter holder, or a moka pot) and good beans. I'd use my moka pot a lot more if it didn't use sooooo much coffee relative to the aeropress or espresso.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    yep, local roaster here told me they bought a bunch of mazzer super jolly's for cheap when starbucks was getting rid of all that stuff.
    said they replaced the burrs on them and they all got put into coffee shops they've opened and they are all still working fine.

i'm looking for something like that, but there are priorities and to be honest, i make pretty ok espresso at home with my current modest setup.
    May have linked this above somewhere. As long as you are willing to provide the power, the OE Lido has professional machine quality grinders at much lower price: OE Hand Grinders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want good coffee all you need is a hand grinder, an aeropress (or some kind of paper filter holder, or a moka pot) and good beans. I'd use my moka pot a lot more if it didn't use sooooo much coffee relative to the aeropress or espresso.
    yeah that's one of the reasons i mostly make espresso, seems like i don't blow through the beans as fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    May have linked this above somewhere. As long as you are willing to provide the power, the OE Lido has professional machine quality grinders at much lower price: OE Hand Grinders
    For a couple of more bucks you could find a Mazzer. I'd love to give one of those OE grinders a shot though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a couple of more bucks you could find a Mazzer. I'd love to give one of those OE grinders a shot though.
    And then for a few more bucks, you could keep that mazzer running...

I really, really like my Lido 2. It's one of the nicest made things I've handled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    For those with an inclination towards environmental-friendliness, those pods are amongst the worst convenience choices you can make with regards to cost (to the environment and your pocket) vs convenience (I mean really, is a making coffee that difficult?

An accessible report on the matter.

With that out of the way, I'll re-endorse the notion that your grinder is equally, if not more important than your actual espresso machine. I've had a pretty high quality espresso machine for quite some time, but only in the past year have I upgraded to a proper grinder (previously had a burr, but of dubious quality..). A world of difference.
    This is actually about Keurig. It states that Nespresso's aluminum cups are different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may be a dumb question but what's wrong with the wooden box burr grinder my mother in law gave me? I put the beans in at the top, turn the handle a few times and have freshly ground coffee that does not overheat. I can also adjust the coarseness.

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post

I really, really like my Lido 2. It's one of the nicest made things I've handled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    may be a dumb question but what's wrong with the wooden box burr grinder my mother in law gave me? I put the beans in at the top, turn the handle a few times and have freshly ground coffee that does not overheat. I can also adjust the coarseness.
    probably nothing wrong with that old grinder
    people just like to spend money and have really nice shit (dare i say over the top nice)

all i know is if i'm spending $200 on another grinder i'll spend another 100 or 200 for a mazzer that will last for the remainder of the days i'll be making coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may be a dumb question but what's wrong with the wooden box burr grinder my mother in law gave me? .
    Some of those old wooden box grinders are first rate kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shaft is wobbly, often leading to an inconsistent grind. Odds are it is just fine though. Better than any electric thing you could get for under $150 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post

You mean electricity? The only thing that you might want to replace is the burrs. $50 and 3 screws later you have a grinder that'll go through literally a ton of beans before needing anything replaced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, thanks - i thought i was missing something. especially convenient as the 7-year-old is eager to grind. [Edit: coffee]

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Some of those old wooden box grinders are first rate kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that the Pharos produces a grind quality that is hard to beat without spending $500-700 more. No personal experience, but the things are gorgeous and the price (relatively speaking) is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boxerboxer View Post
    My understanding is that the Pharos produces a grind quality that is hard to beat without spending $500-700 more. No personal experience, but the things are gorgeous and the price (relatively speaking) is right.
    the point is that you can pickup used mazzer juper jolly or mini's for 3-400 and replace the burrs and not worry about until you've run atleast 2000lbs of coffee through it...
    then maybe spend another 50 on burrs, repeat...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno. I'm not a coffee scientist. Mazzers are in that price range when purchased new.

How To: Changing Grinder Burrs, When and How. - Espresso Parts

I overstated the amount of coffee but looks like I need to run 1300 lbs through mine before replacing the burrs. At a pound per month that's going to take a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    This is actually about Keurig. It states that Nespresso's aluminum cups are different.
    The recycling story for the Nespresso pods is better, maybe... It depends a lot on what your local recycling facilities can handle. As of earlier this year there were two companies in the US that could do it. Read about it here if you are interested. At Nespresso, a Fine Greenwash for Your Coffee - Bloomberg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all y'all espresso nuts: I just rescued a Santos 6A that came out a the French bakery place that shut down.

Needs the small lid over the ground holding 'bin' and the cone on top is being held on by electrical tape.

Trade me a 6800 rear derailleur and pay shipping (its heavy!) and its yours. IDK how much they were new, but its gotta be many hundreds of $...

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I use:

It quickly heats the water to the proper temp, and makes utterly delicious coffee. The simplicity appeals to me deeply - one button to push, after I grind the beans, fill the reservoir, and place the carafe.

As far as Nespresso? Screw those K-Cups. They embody everything that's wrong with our disposable convenience culture.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Serious question to the pod folks, what brand of wine in a box do you recommend?
    This coffee thing is new to me. About 5 weeks ago I decided to quit drinking soda. I had been addicted to Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi for decades - since college. Then one day I decided to just stop cold turkey. But an addiction must be fed somehow so I grabbed a Keurig machine and it's been reasonably satisfying. At some point I may go in a different direction but for my one cup per day this works well.

The capsules may be the $1200 Trekondalized for the coffee drinkers but I require baby steps.

When I lived in Switzerland we had a Jura in the house and it was pretty cool but rarely got used because 1. I didn't drink coffee except on rare occasions and 2. my wife was never home to use it. It was/is her machine.

Some of these machines seem like the Campagnolo-Super-Record-EPS-with Bora-CULT-35s-with-FMB-silk-tubulars of coffee machines. I'm just learning how to ride in the coffee world. A cup a day is all I do now. On rare days I'll get wild and have two.

PS - I agree with the sentiments on the disposable convenience. I'm not too fond of my solution and expect at some point to change. I may even go with a French press maker someday. But I'm not there yet.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
    For all y'all espresso nuts: I just rescued a Santos 6A that came out a the French bakery place that shut down.

Needs the small lid over the ground holding 'bin' and the cone on top is being held on by electrical tape.

Trade me a 6800 rear derailleur and pay shipping (its heavy!) and its yours. IDK how much they were new, but its gotta be many hundreds of $...

M
    Mike, sent you an email.