Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Espresso machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Espresso machines

thinking i want to avoid the electronics. maybe save a few $ too.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Yo Nic I believe there is a mod associated with the Mazzer Mini Doser that involves using electrical tape on the bottom of the doser blades to more effectively sweep the ground beans and not leave any behind. I'm sorry I can't find the link right now but if I do I'll go back and post here.

I thought you had spoken of the Mazzer Mini doserless? That's the jam I'm in to, or a Macap MC4 stepless.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because of excess waste and mess?

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    Go doser-less or go home

Dosers have no place in the home or workshop. Mine has a doser (Gaggia MDF) and I've looked for ways to cleanly remove it - it just cannot be done.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was wondering the same thing, it's about time to step up my grinder
    mazzer mini seems the best grinder that will (barely) fit in my space, but i noticed most are either electronic or have the doser...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    because of excess waste and mess?
    Exactly ... I spend a lot of time pulling the lever to rotate the dispensing carriage and then tipping the heavy machine to get the small amount of grinds that are trapped between the burr section and the carriage. It's also another area that needs to be (or should be) cleaned when switching beans and it's difficult to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how much coffee grounds are we talkin about here that stays in the doser?
    say, if i opted not to use a brush to clean the doser out?

is it possible to run the grinder for a second or two to push the stale grounds out of the shoot and the burrs, then pull the doser lever until all that is out, then grind and dose for the shot?

are we talkin like lose a few grams? or more like lose 15 grams of coffee?

can anyone with a mazzer mini comment on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    The cups are aluminum and recyclable. I see your point, though.
    We have a nespresso, and I like it quite a bit. I have also had some really good shots recently and was very surprised with the difference. I still like it for how easy it is, but I hate how many capsules we use, probably on average 5 a day between my girlfriend and myself. I dont think they can go in normal recycling though right? just the stations in stores, which is a huge pain for me, I am not going to bring a bag of month old espresso to work, just to carry it over there. I've been trying to do coffee with my chemex more, but I'm just hooked on espresso. My old office used to have one of the industrial nespresso machines, when they took that away it it was probably equivalent to a $5,000 pay cut, haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michelle has a nespresso. i have never had a bad shot. if you want to recycle, pop em open, compost the grinds and crush the alu for the curb recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    We have a nespresso, and I like it quite a bit. I have also had some really good shots recently and was very surprised with the difference. I still like it for how easy it is, but I hate how many capsules we use, probably on average 5 a day between my girlfriend and myself. I dont think they can go in normal recycling though right? just the stations in stores, which is a huge pain for me, I am not going to bring a bag of month old espresso to work, just to carry it over there. I've been trying to do coffee with my chemex more, but I'm just hooked on espresso. My old office used to have one of the industrial nespresso machines, when they took that away it it was probably equivalent to a $5,000 pay cut, haha.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michelle has a nespresso. i have never had a bad shot. if you want to recycle, pop em open, compost the grinds and crush the alu for the curb recycling.
    This is what I do. It's not the best espresso I've had, but it's better, and more consistent, than the vast majority. For me, the ease is worth the extra money for the pods. Especially if it gets me more time riding with virtually no clean up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, consistency on it is great, and the speed of it is super-helpfull in the morning, especially if I'm trying to ride. I have never thought of recycling them that way, I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    Go doser-less or go home

Dosers have no place in the home or workshop. Mine has a doser (Gaggia MDF) and I've looked for ways to cleanly remove it - it just cannot be done.
    If there's anyone here who can figure out a way to remove the doser and fab a cover panel with a grounds shoot it's you. You have two of them, correct? Give it a shot on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    i was wondering the same thing, it's about time to step up my grinder
    mazzer mini seems the best grinder that will (barely) fit in my space, but i noticed most are either electronic or have the doser...
    Yeah it's unfortunate that the only non-doser option on the mini has the electronics. Prob adds a couple hundred bucks to the price as the doserless unit costs something like ~200 bucks more than the doser model. You could always do a refurb on a Super Jolly and fit it with a low profile bean hopper.

Hey Nic - remember on Sat at Ballers when we were talking espresso and then I learned you are an OG homebrewer from the early 90's and as you're in Austin it made me think of that homebrewer espresso geek in Austin from the forum and you said "sounds like somebody I should meet?" That's /\ the guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cookietruck is in austin?

How about the Mini elec type B? while still called electronic, the setup appears very analog compared to the type A. a couple of manual screws for grind time and push button start.

at this point the Compak k3 is high on the list. need more reviews.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the cookie guy.

My understanding is that at a base level, the Mod A and the Mod B are essentially the same, just the user interface is different. For the A you adjust electronically on the top of the chute and the press-button for the dose is up there, and for the B you adjust the dose level with the little screws and the push button is beneath the shoot and you tap it with the portafilter.

I sent you a linked-up e-mail, but I'll post here too - I visited the Compak North American distribution center about three years ago as it was nearby my old office, and I was able to play with the various offerings. While their pro level stuff is revered and top-shelf, I wasn't personally too impressed with the K3's that I was able to inspect. The metal plate you tap with the portafilter seemed chintzy and kind of flimsy (plus, I don't really like type of interface), and comparing two different K3's side by size, the grind adjustment on one was easy to rotate, almost too easy, and the other one took incredible effort. Overall was not impressed with the fit and finish on them. The guy offered me some discontinued yellow color K3 at substantial discount right out of the warehouse, and even then I couldn't bring myself to buy it.

How about the Mini elec type B? while still called electronic, the setup appears very analog compared to the type A. a couple of manual screws for grind time and push button start.

at this point the Compak k3 is high on the list. need more reviews.
    Last edited by Eddie; 06-04-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^yeah i'm in austin.

and thanks eddie for the compak infos.
    makes me think the mazzer is the way to go even it means i end up dealing with a doser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was gonna send you a PM but your box is full

i'll just post here.

hey, yeah i'm in austin. i think we met once when frankenbike was at mike spess' house, atleast 4 yrs ago.

so you're into espresso, have you checked out flat track? it's on cesar chavez, just east of IH35 in the back of the building where domy books is. pretty awesome espresso usually.
    Flattrack Coffee

same with houndstooth.

i assume you're like me though, as in, we both make espresso at home so don't have a need to go get it much from other places.

i like fruity espresso and most roasters don't do that too often...and that's why i roast coffee at home now.
    plus with most coffee getting up around $15-20/lb...well i drink too much to pay those rates...

ps, i called you a while back (1.5 yrs maybe) asking about getting a steel frame respaced, that chris kvale i have, and you steered me to alchemy. it worked out great so thanks for that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumpin this
    still want to find a mazzer grinder

morning routine lately has been americano then if i have time a shot...
    sometimes a shot in the evening
    and sometimes a shot dumped into a bowl of blue bell home made vanilla ice cream

some kenya kabare ab, pretty good for a washed coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any particular reason why you are shooting that straight into the glass - taking that curved thingy off the portafilter, I mean… Just curious…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done some work with a friend (my local coffee shop owner) on Mazzer mini grinders and currently have one of his in my shop to strip and polish so it matches his new 3-group La Marzocca. He will be selling another Mazzer mini soon I think.
    He is also selling this beautifully restored art-deco grinderimage.jpg
    We replaced the bearings and stripped/powder coated it. He bought many new parts for it and I did the wood inlays so it functions as new and looks better than new.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pajotfix View Post
    Any particular reason why you are shooting that straight into the glass - taking that curved thingy off the portafilter, I mean… Just curious…
    Was wondering what happened to the spout too.

I'd also love a Mazzer but must admit I've been very happy with my Vario.
    -Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    ...and sometimes a shot dumped into a bowl of blue bell home made vanilla ice cream
    Affogato - yup, yumm!
    -Jeff