User Tag List

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Espresso machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Espresso machines

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    That looks awesome. Photos that aren't studio?

" It’s our belief that these rituals and routines keep you in touch with your coffee, and give you a better understanding of the how and why of pulling a great shot."

....gulp....
    I'll work on getting some decent lighting to take a picture. I'll also have to find a tripod as I'm a bit caffeinated...

Whoa, is that what's on his website? Good thing I didn't read it or I would have gotten a pod machine. ;)

OTOH, the non-spring lever *does* provide instant detection of anything wrong with the puck of coffee -- one can feel the start of channeling, or a too-fine grind. Also, one can (more or less) save a shot that's about to channel just by reducing the force a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quote if from the grinder website. Fits on the press website, though. Both machines kinda make me drool a little.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quote if from the grinder website. [...]
    Hmmm.... I guess I have not become one with my inner grinder. Caveat on the HG-1 BTW: grind retention is not the 0.1g they claim, unless you are using dry beans. It's still good, in that the stuff that sticks does drop out after a few minutes so you don't get stale junk ruining the next morning's cup. However, if you *must* have 14.0g going into the basket, it's not as automatic as weighing 14.1g into the grinder. Luckily, all you have to do is pop off the chute (held in place by magnets) and give it a quick wipe with a finger to get 99+% of the grind into the basket. So, almost perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    OTOH, the non-spring lever *does* provide instant detection of anything wrong with the puck of coffee -- one can feel the start of channeling, or a too-fine grind. Also, one can (more or less) save a shot that's about to channel just by reducing the force a bit.
    welcome to the world of manual lever machines...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Wow!

Fun! I was just wondering last week how could I make myself a manual espresso machine like this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's simple, I know, but I love my moka pot. And if you can find it, there's a neat paper written by a professor on how the development and adoption of moka pot reflects the Italian modernization of the early 20th century. It's The Romance of Caffeine and Aluminum by JT Schnapp.
    Might make you appreciate the little pot even more. I'd upload it if not for ~JSTOR~ reasons

edit: Here's a summary of it https://ineedcoffee.com/the-story-of...-moka-express/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonicw View Post
    It's simple, I know, but I love my moka pot. And if you can find it, there's a neat paper written by a professor on how the development and adoption of moka pot reflects the Italian modernization of the early 20th century. It's The Romance of Caffeine and Aluminum by JT Schnapp.
    Might make you appreciate the little pot even more. I'd upload it if not for ~JSTOR~ reasons

edit: Here's a summary of it https://ineedcoffee.com/the-story-of...-moka-express/
    Thanks for posting. A nice alternative to the usual online diet of cat videos and Trump rants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done fighting the steam wand on my Gaggia Classic. Ordered a V1/2 Rancilio wand. Hope this works out. I'm seriously considering plunking down for a new machine if this doesn't pan out.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonicw View Post

Neat article! Thanks for posting it.

I'm a Moka pot coffee drinker at home but, not being the equivalent of bar espresso, its always been a compromise with which I've had to make peace. Cold water, coffee, flame and there you go.

The other day I ran into this video and it's been an epiphany. The take home message is to preheat the water to boiling THEN install the basket, coffee (already in the basket) and screw the lid on. Restore to the flame and the result is much closer to the espresso from a bar machine. I've ceased to pine after a La Pavoni or an even more expensive electric pump machine. The video is technically enlightening.

The secrets of the moka pot - How to video - Home-Barista.com
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvia are often mentioned in the same breath - what's the next no brainer machine above those two?

Moka user here too but have been wanting a proper espresso machine for some time

I was impressed with the Saeco machine that Starbucks branded. It's been a few years but my boss had one at the office and I thought it put out ok shots; I believe the Gaggia Classic and Silvia are a better version of that Saeco Barista or whatever it was called

Anyway just curious what the next level above the Classic / Silvia is if there's a consensus machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    The take home message is to preheat the water to boiling THEN install the basket, coffee (already in the basket) and screw the lid on.
    [rant]

This is the worst advice in the history of the interweb.

As a 30+ year user of the pot I have pretty much tried all the secrets. While I am familiar with this idiotic technique, I also took care of somebody who got 3rd degree facial burns following this advice. At the very least check the valve (which you should do every time before using anyway) before you do this crazy stunt that has no benefit.

[\rant]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just put mine in the microwave and enjoy the light show. Seriously, though, what's the difference between this and the normal way? If the valve works, either is fine, as all that goes through is a bit of wet vapor. If the valve doesn't, won't it blow either way, and probably with more force if on the burner? Or did the person superheat the water in a pyrex cup in the microwave and have it explode when they poured it into the moka pot base?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CXinNH View Post
    [rant]

This is the worst advice in the history of the interweb.

As a 30+ year user of the pot I have pretty much tried all the secrets. While I am familiar with this idiotic technique, I also took care of somebody who got 3rd degree facial burns following this advice. At the very least check the valve (which you should do every time before using anyway) before you do this crazy stunt that has no benefit.

[\rant]
    That's quite an accomplishment....how on Earth did they manage it?

Holliscx,

Maybe this will provide some idea as to machines up the ladder:

Home-Barista.com • Espresso Machine Reviews & Coffee Grinder Reviews

They can get pretty expensive, pretty quickly.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My technique with a moka pot is quite the opposite: bring it up to the boil then adjust the heat down so the coffee oozes slowly out the top. As soon as it starts to gush plunge the base into a sinkful of cold water to kill the pressure.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    My technique with a moka pot is quite the opposite: bring it up to the boil then adjust the heat down so the coffee oozes slowly out the top. As soon as it starts to gush plunge the base into a sinkful of cold water to kill the pressure.
    How do you get the lovely rubber o-ring aftertaste then?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Gaggia Classic and Rancilio Silvia are often mentioned in the same breath - what's the next no brainer machine above those two?

Moka user here too but have been wanting a proper espresso machine for some time

I was impressed with the Saeco machine that Starbucks branded. It's been a few years but my boss had one at the office and I thought it put out ok shots; I believe the Gaggia Classic and Silvia are a better version of that Saeco Barista or whatever it was called

Anyway just curious what the next level above the Classic / Silvia is if there's a consensus machine
    With the Rancilio Silvia, I think upgrading it with a PID unit and buying a Mazzer Mini would be the next step. That gets you pre-infusion and finer temp control. I've had excellent coffee from a souped up Silvia.

Other than that, you'll likely get 100 different answers from 100 different caffeinated people.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes outside temperatures in the low teens produce great ideas while you're toiling away on the trainer or treadmill. This two folks are my latte art heros. About 10-11 minutes in, they show how to practice your skills without wasting coffee. Hopefully it's not going to be a long Winter...

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Done fighting the steam wand on my Gaggia Classic. Ordered a V1/2 Rancilio wand. Hope this works out. I'm seriously considering plunking down for a new machine if this doesn't pan out.
    No longer considering a new machine. I can't believe the difference that wand makes.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    How do you get the lovely rubber o-ring aftertaste then?

Coffeeeee

The bunsen burner helps.

Jokes aside, I recently landed a new contract looking after a small winery in Beechworth*. The stove in the kitchen is induction: no good on an aluminium moka pot.

Needs must as the devil drives: up to the lab and out with the bunsen burner. People think wine is made from grapes but really it's made from coffee (Eduardo,who's helping me out this vintage is from Tuscany: he agrees completely. He took the pic)

* Same week I landed a new contract with a small brewery in Melbourne, rejigging their production systems. I'm now flat out like a lizard drinking, not helped by the fact that they're 300k apart. Fortunately Beechworth is a great place for cycling.
    Mark Kelly