Thread: Espresso machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Espresso machines

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    I use a 5% solution of sulphamic acid (AKA amidosulphonic acid, obtainable from agricultural suppliers as milk stone remover, just make sure it's sulphamic acid based not phosphoric acid).

Put the acid solution in the water tank, run about a third of it through, wait five minutes, repeat, run the rest through then rinse until you can't detect any acid in the rinse water.
    Yep, nailed it here. I actually use the exact same procedure, though I use a 3% solution in ddH2O and have had good luck (I descale twice a month, so depending on how long you've been running the rig and how often you're pulling, you might adjust. I also tend to let about a half-tank of pure water rinse through, after some backflushing, before I even try to pull another shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajotfix View Post
    It's a pretty basic Isomac Macinino... I'd need something stepless and preferably without doser... Budget - I've 500 Euro in mind... That covers some of the Macap range... Or a Mazzer mini but that comes with a doser...
    Anyway - it's been a while since I looked into to this so share your insights...

PS: my espresso maker is a Bezzera Giulia... my current grinder is no match...
    You can get a dosserless Mazzer Mini, which I had for years and absolutely loved. I also owned a Rancilio Rocky, doserless option, and had no issues with it. I found I had to clean/adjust it a bit more often than I would have preferred, but when it's dialed it worked beautifully and solved a lot of my espresso pulling problems (it was the first big-boy machine I had after getting a proper espresso rig, I won't even tell you what I was grinding with before then, suffice to say it cost less than $100 and the only thing I knew at the time was that I wanted burrs).
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rocket arrived today. DOA...won't heat up. Calls to be made in the morning. The thought of boxing this beast up is daunting...very disappointing... :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was lucky enough to visit the Rocket factory a few months ago when I was in Milano. This was one of the highlights of my time in Italy.

Rocket factory by Tristan Thomas, on Flickr

Somewhere between the Right and Left in San Francisco
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking in that mirror is actually timely. I spent the morning disassembling my new machine...turns out there was a loose connection. All good now, but just about every screw in the thing was loose. The power supply was detached and was floating around loose inside the cowl (probably why the connections poor). Onward...time to figure out how to tune my grind and tamp. At least I now know what's under the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm reading backwards in this thread- but thought I'd toss out my total newb question: current best values at about $1000 (or less) street? Open to new, refurb, or known used/ barter (if any of you are selling). New town is forcing my hand a bit. I only care about straight espresso shots, and it needs to be fairly bomb proof as it will be a tool. Small footprint would be nice but not essential. Silvia? Better options?

Currently running an Isomac Brio- will likely rotate that into shop duty if I get something new.

Will be grinding through a Vario.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I'm reading backwards in this thread- but thought I'd toss out my total newb question: current best values at about $1000 (or less) street? Open to new, refurb, or known used/ barter (if any of you are selling). New town is forcing my hand a bit. I only care about straight espresso shots, and it needs to be fairly bomb proof as it will be a tool. Small footprint would be nice but not essential. Silvia? Better options?

Currently running an Isomac Brio- will likely rotate that into shop duty if I get something new.

Since you're starting from a nice position (with a top-notch grinder to begin with), you should be able to snag something nice. Refurb/used machines can be found on CoffeeGeek pretty well, but if you don't want to go that route (it's a pretty slow forum) there are a couple of good options out there. If you don't need to steam milk, you're in even better shape. Personally, I'm a fan of the work done over at QuickMill. The Carola will likely serve all of your needs, has a nice small footprint, can pull a couple of shots in relatively quick succession (though you'd really want a PID if it's going to see heavy use..) and isn't half-bad to look at. It's got a few upgraded bells and whistles and since it's got a nice grouphead you can upgrade anything you see fit along the way. The Silvia isn't bad, but having had a neighbor with one for some time I can tell you the shots are less than consistent as it seems to have a bigger range of pressure than it lets on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Since you're starting from a nice position (with a top-notch grinder to begin with), you should be able to snag something nice. Refurb/used machines can be found on CoffeeGeek pretty well, but if you don't want to go that route (it's a pretty slow forum) there are a couple of good options out there. If you don't need to steam milk, you're in even better shape. Personally, I'm a fan of the work done over at QuickMill. The Carola will likely serve all of your needs, has a nice small footprint, can pull a couple of shots in relatively quick succession (though you'd really want a PID if it's going to see heavy use..) and isn't half-bad to look at. It's got a few upgraded bells and whistles and since it's got a nice grouphead you can upgrade anything you see fit along the way. The Silvia isn't bad, but having had a neighbor with one for some time I can tell you the shots are less than consistent as it seems to have a bigger range of pressure than it lets on.
    Can't argue with the Quickmill recommendation. They are some nice machines and I'm considering the Quick Mill Vetrano 2B Evo when I upgrade from my Silvia.

I do question your comment on the Silvia and so many others like it I see on the internet. I use my Silvia with PID every day for the last year and a half. And once I learned good technique I consistently get really nice shots. I think a lot of complaints are user error. Develop good techniques and it doesn't matter what machine you use. "the frame is the frame" atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjauch View Post
    I do question your comment on the Silvia and so many others like it I see on the internet. I use my Silvia with PID every day for the last year and a half. And once I learned good technique I consistently get really nice shots. I think a lot of complaints are user error. Develop good techniques and it doesn't matter what machine you use. "the frame is the frame" atmo.
    Problems with shot consistency are normally due to problems with boilers staying at, and delivering, a consistent pressure. You're using a PID which completely negates this issue..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should note that I am also open to manual/ lever machines if that changes anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a used Olympia and get it reconditioned. Built like tanks. Simple. Last forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sjauch View Post
    I do question your comment on the Silvia and so many others like it I see on the internet. I use my Silvia with PID every day for the last year and a half. And once I learned good technique I consistently get really nice shots. I think a lot of complaints are user error.
    I agree. I bought mine off Ebay from someone who obviously didn't know how to program a PID. It made crap coffee until I reprogrammed it, it now works very well thank you. BTW I'm a winemaker by trade and I'm a wee bit fussy about coffee (actually that should be "everything").

Next upgrade will be a grinder, Silvia's staying.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just cleaned/lubed my lever machine and you know, the shots are pretty damn nice.
    there is a definite learning curve though. i've been using this thing for something like 8 years.
    if you want to be able to pull more than 2-3 shots with solid consistency then you don't want a lever machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of the challenge of nailing consistency with a lever.

I also like the idea of hammering solid shots at 2 am out of something like that Carola. Hell, if my wife can't live without the foam (she's a straight shot woman, anyway) then maybe that could be the shop set up.

Digging the feedback, thanks all. If anyone happens to see something like it used, give me a shout. Small town shopping limits my exposure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm getting kind of annoyed at my inability to steam milk properly. i don't know if the Gaggia wand (without plastic tip aid thing) is really that bad, or what. but i'm this || close to ordering a Rancilio V2 wand.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    i'm getting kind of annoyed at my inability to steam milk properly. i don't know if the Gaggia wand (without plastic tip aid thing) is really that bad, or what. but i'm this || close to ordering a Rancilio V2 wand.
    I suck at steaming milk. But I'm a strictly doppio guy and the only coffee drinker in the house so I don't really put much effort into it. That said, my barista mate tells me steaming should only be done with fresh (unpasteurized) milk.
    . K R I S T O F . D H .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Yes, it's not the best wand. Aftermarket wand tips are available, with multiple, smaller holes -- as long as your first bleed of the 'wet' steam, it should work well. OTOH, don't steam anything other than whole milk if you want pretty results. Less fat = less flavor and less smoothness -- even a miracle machine won't fix skim. BTW, the Europeans often use hyper-pasteurized milk, so while unpasteurized grass fed tastes the best, it's not prerequisite for good foam. For proof of that, steam some standard store-bought half-n-half.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can get foamed milk to stand up like the Pillsbury Doughboy with one of these and a nice saucepan. And no "cheesy" over cooked/over steamed flavor either. Just fresh hot foam on top and hot milk to pour underneath.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm liking that one just for the dough boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after several Gaggia machines dying on me i bought a rancillio silva, a secondhand, barley used as they said, could not be happier, it makes me a very nice cuppa, im sure there might be better or fancier machines out there but i dare say my (lacking) barista techniques do not require such machines.
    what i love i about the rancillio is that is a work horse, it seems to to kill it and if you kill it all parts are separately available in that sence it is a bitt of a profesional one group coffee maker.
    Thank, mick van aar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm liking that one just for the dough boy.
    The dough boy has his chakras all lined up. He knows the belly is the center of life.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books