Thread: Espresso machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Espresso machines

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    For what it's worth - our local coffee snob claims the best way to sample coffee is threw brewing, either cold or pour over style. I've sampled some seriously amazing brews through him. I doubt he'd willingly pull a shot with his geisha beans. He won't even allow milk or cream to touch his own roast.
    yeah anyone i've heard that does cuppings just pour water into a cup with the ground beans...and it all begins when they break the crust that forms on the top...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth - our local coffee snob claims the best way to sample coffee is threw brewing, either cold or pour over style. I've sampled some seriously amazing brews through him. I doubt he'd willingly pull a shot with his geisha beans. He won't even allow milk or cream to touch his own roast.
    Cold brew makes some amazing coffee too. Uses a ton of beans though. I soak mine in cheesecloth inside a jar for about 18 hours. Then I take out the cheesecloth/grounds, strain out the water as best as I can, and drink as desired. The longer it sits the better it tastes. I have some that's been in a jar for at least a week now. Gave it a taste the other day to see how badly it needed to get poured down the drain. Just keeps getting better! The experiment continues.

I use the proportions you can find on the Stumptown site but dilute the concentrate even more than they say (I think they say 3:1 and I do about 4:1). Too bad it is getting cold up here now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Cold brew makes some amazing coffee too. Uses a ton of beans though. I soak mine in cheesecloth inside a jar for about 18 hours. Then I take out the cheesecloth/grounds, strain out the water as best as I can, and drink as desired. The longer it sits the better it tastes. I have some that's been in a jar for at least a week now. Gave it a taste the other day to see how badly it needed to get poured down the drain. Just keeps getting better! The experiment continues.

I use the proportions you can find on the Stumptown site but dilute the concentrate even more than they say (I think they say 3:1 and I do about 4:1). Too bad it is getting cold up here now.
    I've really wanted to try cold brewing at home but lazy to get started. I'll be PM'ing you for more of your process info!
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I need to pick up an aeropress, im sure it would work great for travel.
    Do people do a fine espresso like grind on the aero?
    - 'Drip' grind (shop grinds the coffee for me when I buy it)
    - Water left to cool for 5 mins after boiling
    - 1 minute steep time
    - 30 second press time
    - Stop press before the hiss

That's been my MO for a while, but the great thing about the Aeropress is that you can easily experiment with technique.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've really wanted to try cold brewing at home but lazy to get started. I'll be PM'ing you for more of your process info!
    For those of us less ambitious than Luksaz, this little kit from Hario does pretty good cold brew: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/hario-cold-brew-pot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sw.jpg

Nespresso® reaction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was doing some googling on the Aeropress last night and learned that it's from the same guy as:

which kinda blew my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Can we discuss the Aeropress a little. I'm intrigued. Saw something from Stumptown yesterday that seemed neat.
    I need to pick up an aeropress, im sure it would work great for travel. Also, I like the chemex but to me it seems its very finiky on the size of brew you do. I can't make one small enough for just me, and I can't make one big enough for 4 people.

Do people do a fine espresso like grind on the aero?
    Aeropress is extremely flexible. However, the resulting coffee IS NOT ESPRESSO. Tons of recipes & techniques. Once you get it fine tuned, the resulting cup rivals the best pour-over and you can think of it as a portable poor man's Clover machine. For a very clean cup, you can use the paper filters or the Able Fine Disc or Kaffeologie S Filter. For a more french-press like cup, you can use a standard Able Disc. My travel setup is pictured below. It all fits in a small Pelican Case.

Hario Skerton/Kyocera CM-50CF Hand Grinder with OE Bearing Upgrade Glass container removed, I grind directly into the Aeropress fitting grinder onto top with snug seal using a few wraps of black silicon self sealing tape around the top of the Aeropress. Obviously not for an inverted method.

Bodum Small Hot water Kettle

Thermometer (small hole drilled in lid for insertion into Bodum)

Spoon Scale

Good fresh whole single-origin beans from a quality local roaster

Fine grind really doesn't work with the Aeropress, it will lead to over-extraction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you boil your water to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    For those of us less ambitious than Luksaz, this little kit from Hario does pretty good cold brew: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/hario-cold-brew-pot
    For those of us even less ambitious, and not really keen on using their old French Press for making hot coffee these days, it's so easy to cold-brew a batch overnight (18 hours ideally).
    I use a ratio of 3 parts water to 1 part coffee, give it a good long stir and leave the plunger up.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you boil your water to?
    I let the water boil then auto shut off or shut off manually just prior to boil, then wait for the temp to drop to proper temp using the thermometer inserted into the Bodum. Most of my recipes use water temp between 198-202F. If you really want to get anal you can pre-heat the Aeropress, but I usually don't. There really isn't a lot of thermal mass there with the thermoplastic design to make a significant difference IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgav View Post
    Aeropress is extremely flexible. However, the resulting coffee IS NOT ESPRESSO. Tons of recipes & techniques. Once you get it fine tuned, the resulting cup rivals the best pour-over and you can think of it as a portable poor man's Clover machine. For a very clean cup, you can use the paper filters or the Able Fine Disc or Kaffeologie S Filter. For a more french-press like cup, you can use a standard Able Disc. My travel setup is pictured below. It all fits in a small Pelican Case.

Hario Skerton/Kyocera CM-50CF Hand Grinder with OE Bearing Upgrade Glass container removed, I grind directly into the Aeropress fitting grinder onto top with snug seal using a few wraps of black silicon self sealing tape around the top of the Aeropress. Obviously not for an inverted method.

Bodum Small Hot water Kettle

Thermometer (small hole drilled in lid for insertion into Bodum)

Spoon Scale

Good fresh whole single-origin beans from a quality local roaster

Fine grind really doesn't work with the Aeropress, it will lead to over-extraction.
    Awesome, suggestion. I already have that grinder, and an aero on the way. Now I need a few more things
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, suggestion. I already have that grinder, and an aero on the way. Now I need a few more things
    While you're at it, you might want to add TightVac Mini vacuum containers for beans if you don't need to carry a whole 12/16oz bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    I think you mean "lazy." I wanted cold brew but didn't want to buy anything or go outside. Jars and cheesecloth were readily available in the kitchen. The cheesecloth lets some fines through but since you're pouring concentrate out of the jar the sediment will remain on the bottom as long as you don't agitate it too much. One of those reusable drip filters with a vessel to match might work better. That Hario thing looks to be pretty small. It won't make much in one go.

I've been doing 1/4 of this: 85 grams of coffee and 14 oz of water: Make Your Own Cold Brew At Home - Stumptown Coffee Roasters

It starts tasting really good after sitting for another 24 hours after the initial 18 hour period which culminates in me removing the grounds from the concentrate. It is great for those undrinkable burnt beans you bought from a local business that doesn't know how to roast but calls itself a coffee roaster. Takes the terrible right out of them. Brooklyn Roasting Company I'm looking in your direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the ratio my coffee roaster buddy told me for cold brew was a pound of beans to a gallon of water
    convert to grams and ounces if you want, but it's pretty easy to go .25 pound of coffee to a quart of water
    i just dumped it all together and let it sit at room temp for 24 hrs (or longer) and poured it through a chemex filter because...well that's what i had around.
    it's not hard. and when normal brew temps are around 200*, room temp is cold brewing, it doesn't have to go in the fridge immediately.

i'm gonna start doing this at the office once we move and my commute gets longer. probably won't be down for getting up early enough to hang out around the house, drinking a few cups of coffee then riding on into work...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

made a quick cup last night with an Aeropress....I was pretty impressed. The simplicity, the taste (full-bodied), the clean up. I'll do it again this eve...kinda experiment with different variables. I think tonight I'll try Grimpeur Bros method.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local fellow has a Gaggia Classic for $125. I was saving for a nice grinder, however. Should I jump on that Classic because the deal is too good to pass up?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you currently have an espresso machine? Sounds like a decent deal depending on age and if it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

less than a year, not an espresso drinker. I do not have a machine yet. I was going to purchase a nice grinder first. but I haven't seen a deal like this on a nice machine.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

made a quick cup last night with an Aeropress....I was pretty impressed. The simplicity, the taste (full-bodied), the clean up. I'll do it again this eve...kinda experiment with different variables. I think tonight I'll try Grimpeur Bros method.
    Try this next: The Coffee Collective Blog: Updated Aeropress brewing method
    Mark Edwards