Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Saucepans

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Saucepans

Sitram Cybernox used to make a "almost" non-stick all metal pan that is broiler safe too. Hellofapan, I've had one for about 12 yrs. If you keep it squeaky clean and remember to get it hot before adding food it is 99% perfect. Never seen another like it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackers View Post
    The only non-stick pan I'll ever by again is Scanpan. They are made of titanium and ceramic and the non-stick finish is guaranteed by most retailers for life. This pan is heavy, heats up slowly, stays hot and cooks evenly. You can sear your food on the stovetop, then put the pan in the oven to finish banking it. It's a lot like having the best qualities of cast iron and teflon in one pan.

Scanpans are expensive (I think I paid about $150 for my 10 inch skillet). I replaced a $125 Calphalon non-stick pan after about 18 months with a scan pan few years ago and my new pan shows no signs of wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An f350 for all Lodge employees!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got all my saucepans passed on from chefs as they upgrade. I have Demeyere Apollo (you can stick these in the dishwasher and they come out shiny) and some All-Clad copper core and stainless. All are very nice. You really won't tell much difference when it comes to saucepans as long as you don't use them as frypans. Emphasis on medium heat. Add fat after the saucepan is somewhat hot. Heat expands the alloy and pours open up to absorb fat which creates a slick surface. "hot pan cold oil, no stick"!

But switching to fry pans, I have De Buyer carbon steel. These frypans have been in constant use for the last 3 years without washing. They've developed a surface similar to what they cook on in diners. I can sling hashes with ease. Sunny side eggs are no problem at all. Steaks always have a nice lightly chard caramelized surface. Use copious amounts of fat, whether it is an oil, butter, lard, or my current favorite tallow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally made a decision and purchased some saucepans tonight. I purchased a 1 1/2 quart and a 3 1/2 quart all clad stainless steel sauce pans and a Le Creuset stock pot. I've also decided the Lodge cast iron skillets are pretty awesome, so I'm purchasing a second one to use in the kitchen. Thank you everyone for all of the help and advice!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume this is kosher; if not, somebody delete this, please.

[i'll permit it, but hey let's don't make retail links a big habit yo, wp]

Amazon has some really good deals on Cuisinart at the moment.

And here are blackers' favorites - Scanpan - at 72% off.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 04-03-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All-clad MC2 here. all the way.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by metanoize View Post
    But switching to fry pans, I have De Buyer carbon steel. These frypans have been in constant use for the last 3 years without washing. They've developed a surface similar to what they cook on in diners. I can sling hashes with ease. Sunny side eggs are no problem at all. Steaks always have a nice lightly chard caramelized surface. Use copious amounts of fat, whether it is an oil, butter, lard, or my current favorite tallow.
    Got a De Buyer fry pan and it is awesome. Between this, some cast iron, and a basic All Clad stainless set, we have been set for almost 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I can rely on you guys.

I've got an 11yr old stainless All-Clad 1.5qt saucepan with a handle that's loose. Not sure if it's a steel around the rivets that's wearing or the rivets themselves. Is anyone familiar with a reliable way to fix it? The thing gets used daily, often twice, and is handwashed every time. Or should I just pony up $100 for a single 1.5qt saucepan?

Where do you even buy these things now? I got this set at Dillards, I think. Back when malls were fun.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it's all clad i'd start by checking with them as they may fix it for you for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, did that on Wednesday, and haven't yet heard back.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Where do you even buy these things now?
    Personally, direct from All-Clad and almost exclusively seconds or items with damaged packaging. They do sales via a website and email invitation a few times a year.

I suspect that it can be drilled out and a new rivet installed, but not sure what their warranty policy is regarding replace or repair.

I have the same pan, given to me well used several years ago when my best friend moved back to Australia and didn't want to take 100 pounds worth of quality cookware. Mine also gets a helluva lot of use.

I'll bet I could fix it with JB Weld if it came to that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, did that on Wednesday, and haven't yet heard back.
    Did you try the repair centers?

https://www.all-clad.com/repairs
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp. Pie in my face. It wasn't All-Clad, it was Calphalon.

However, it worked in All-Clad's favor. As I was digging around the Repair Centers page, I clicked on promotions and ended up just ordering an Essentials 13pc set for $300. I don't much care for non-stick, but wifey loves it. so....it's a win-win, I suppose.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, it worked in All-Clad's favor. As I was digging around the Repair Centers page, I clicked on promotions and ended up just ordering an Essentials 13pc set for $300. I don't much care for non-stick, but wifey loves it. so....it's a win-win, I suppose.
    Don't toss the old one. Most pan rivets work like other rivets.

Support the interior side of the rivet on something like a block of wood, then hit the exterior of the rivet with a mallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Don't toss the old one. Most pan rivets work like other rivets.

Support the interior side of the rivet on something like a block of wood, then hit the exterior of the rivet with a mallet.
    That's actually what I was going to try just to see if it'd work. It's the boys' saucepan now. Or, will be when the new stuff comes in.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't save the Calphalon treat yourself to an All-Clad replacement. I'm sort of sad you bought a bunch of new pieces, but they're non-stick. But happy wife, happy life. That I get. Don't remember how I signed up for the factory seconds sale emails, but I dug around and I think this will do it if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back from the dead…received an email about sale items. How have they been Dustin?
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    I currently own Calphalon non-stick sauce pans and a stock pot. It's time to replace them. I don't require non-stick, just something with even heating and a heavy bottom. I was considering going with All Clad instead of purchasing another set of Calphalon. Are there any other brands I should consider? Any pros and cons to the various All Clad models? Thanks in advance!
    I favor my All Clad Master Chef (which I am not); SS interior, thick aluminum exterior saucepans, saucier and stock pots. The heat transfer juice/squeeze ratio per dollar is hard to beat though they may not offer that line anymore; mine are ~25 years old.

For skillets I'll second that it's awfully hard to beat seasoned CI. Alas, I have only a couple of medium size skillets in enameled CI which are very nice but plain old seasoned CI just works better.

My pasta/former wort boiler is a cheap, thin SS thing which heats quickly bc it doesn't consume lots of energy itself (to heat a bunch of metal in the form of a heavy vessel....'cause it's thin); it's perfect for things that are cooked in boiling water, pasta, 'taters, cabbage, whatever. Wish I'da kept one or two of my parent's Revere Ware sauce pans for smaller "water boiling" tasks like steaming veggies, rather than having to heat water in a sauce pan with a lot more metal mass. They're poor for saucepanney stuff (though a diffuser plate improves things and a lot of good meals have come out of them), but great for boiling water.

We use gas.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Back from the dead…received an email about sale items. How have they been Dustin?
    Pretty solid so far. They don't feel as hefty as the stuff we had previously, but everything is holding up well, and the stuff that gets used daily still looks as new. Granted, only wifey and I use it. Kid gets the old stuff to use.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dustin. This will be a huge upgrade from what I am currently using. Sale price makes this a no brained for me.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123