Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Learn Me On Down Jackets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Learn Me On Down Jackets

All good stuff, and to much I agree. One note on the above comments though, Canada Goose is using Duck Down (ironic, eh?). No secret, but other companies are maybe heading that direction in the next one to two years as well due to cost. That said, I'd omit them from the list above. I am pumped to see some made in USA stuff coming back around. Bring it. I'll support. I do recall five+ years ago Arcteryx responding to the critics and explained well how the machines overseas are the main reason they had to go. They are working to make a product, at a certain level and to make the best, that meant take it overseas. Smoke blowing? Maybe a bit, but there is some truth. Didn't seem like they wanted to go that route, but were kinda stuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coolz -- congrats dude. Big Green class o' 82 here (1982 -- a good long while before you were born). They've always had some great climbers and skiers, and we had a solid cycling team back in the day. And it's a great school -- was, certainly, and I believe it still is. Hope you have a great time up there.

So, it can get cold. Below zero cold. As folks have suggested, layering is good. A decent shell and maybe both heavy and lightweight fleece options that can go inside and/or a down or synthetic jacket/sweater/liner type of thing. Several of the big manufactures (and likely a bunch of small ones) make stuff so that everything fits together, not that it needs to be so integrated. I've had some budget northface stuff that's held up forever -- a hooded ski shell and a synthetic zip-in liner that can stand alone as a jacket or turn the shell into an insulated coat. I don't think down jackets are especially delicate -- I've got a down sleeping bag that was snagged as a bro deal when I went off to college and it's still good (if it doesn't have quite the loft it once did, it's surprisingly good). OTOH, if you get down wet, it's just not warm any more.

If you're on a budget, get thee to a discountery -- web sites like steep and cheap can offer pretty good discounts, and you can also see what looks good at REI outlet. And for walking to class you might like to look for a deal on some boots -- maybe Sorel or some such, or at least tallish hiking boots (but walking boots, right?). And wool socks. And gloves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
    Go Big Green!

Get an inexpensive down coat, like a $90 LLBean down parka, it will keep you warm. You won't feel too bad when it gets lost or ruined in a frat party coat pile.

Do some riding on the Vermont side of the river.

Enjoy it. In the words of Seuss:
    Shout loud, “I am lucky
    to be what I am!
    Thank goodness I’m not
    just a clam or a ham
    Or a dusty old jar of
    sour gooseberry jam!
    I am what I am! That’s a
    great thing to be!
    Awesome. It was a fine day when they named the med school after the good "doctor" (good, and generous too I reckon).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Most excellent link, Jeremy! Lots of nice looking gear on that site.
    Thanks! They're awesome folks. I want the Eyebright jacket so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Nice looking goods for hard charging customers.

Would you mind answering this question? You are a niche manufacture and obviously have the style to pull it off, why not add some tall sizes and further your niche
    market?
    We're going to offer some tall sizes as Cedar grows. We need to hit certain production numbers to make it possible to fit in the extra SKUs.

Quote Originally Posted by drietz View Post
    Jeremy - I just want you to know that if you need a product tester for a prototype softshell, I'm your man! :D Have you guys officially opened
    your retail location? When we met it looked like it was still under construction.

I like the look of that NWAlpine jacket. Makes me reconsider the whole goose down deal.
    Softshells are a year out, but remind me again next fall and see where we are. Our store is built out and open!

Quote Originally Posted by th_boone View Post
    All good stuff, and to much I agree. One note on the above comments though, Canada Goose is using Duck Down (ironic, eh?). No secret, but
    other companies are maybe heading that direction in the next one to two years as well due to cost. That said, I'd omit them from the list above. I am pumped to see
    some made in USA stuff coming back around. Bring it. I'll support. I do recall five+ years ago Arcteryx responding to the critics and explained well how the
    machines overseas are the main reason they had to go. They are working to make a product, at a certain level and to make the best, that meant take it overseas.
    Smoke blowing? Maybe a bit, but there is some truth. Didn't seem like they wanted to go that route, but were kinda stuck.
    It's a combination of cost and manufacturing capability and willingness to invest in your factories. Because almost all apparel manufacturing is done with
    contractors, no-one on either side of the coin wants to spend the money on the machines. There is truth to the statement that there is outstanding technical fabrication in Asia, but we could have it here. None of it is rocket science. While bonding, welding, lasercutting, and cnc-driven vacuum cutting tables are all new, the core art has not changed. Make a good production ready design + pattern, and have trained operators assemble it. Market forces are what took the show out of town. However, with today's pricing for premium outerwear, there's no reason to be producing in Asia. You can still get the margins you need in the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm holding you to it Jeremy ;) Count on selling a bagful here when ready. We seem to have alot of LTall folks here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Nice looking goods for hard charging customers.

Would you mind answering this question? You are a niche manufacture and obviously have the style to pull it off, why not add some tall sizes and further your niche
    market?
    We're going to offer some tall sizes as Cedar grows. We need to hit certain production numbers to make it possible to fit in the extra SKUs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, I'm with Too Tall on this; finding clothing long enough to fit my 6' 4", 36-inch inseam frame is always a challenge. Feathered Friends' down outer wear looks inviting but I'm concerned that it may be too short in the torso for me. I would definitely support Jeremy's effort to widen the line with sizes for us tall(er) freaks.
    Riding with a live hornet in your mouth is not advised.:eek:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be clear - I own Cedar Cycling, not NWAlpine. We're going to be moving towards general "get rad outdoors" clothing in the future. My goal is to make considerably fewer styles than say, Patagonia or Nau, but to make more sizes across each style especially in core products. I am all torso and arm, so I'm pretty in tune with the need for longer tops that aren't akin to wrapping oneself up in a sailcloth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeremy - any chance on a 3xl in the future?

apologies to OP for the drift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Jeremy - any chance on a 3xl in the future?

apologies to OP for the drift.
    Probably in 2014 - right now we don't cut enough pieces per run to spread out across 7 sizes or more and still hit mins.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"It is a small school, sir, but there are those of us who love it"

Western Mountaineering down jackets are the bomb.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234