Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seat stays and plug dropouts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Seat stays and plug dropouts

Sorry if this has come up before. I am working through frame #2 I have Llewelyn drop outs and I am using a Zona tube set. Im getting to the back end and clearly the seat stays will not fit in the dropouts.

If I use the small end of the taper I would have to cut it up to short to get to a point where it would fit nicely.

And the larger end of the taper is way to big the dropout almost would fit inside.

So what do I need to do? Which stays and dimensions are compatible with these dropouts. The large end of the taper should be at the dropout correct?

Thanks, Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Seat stays and plug dropouts

Quote Originally Posted by ToddFarr View Post
    So what do I need to do? Which stays and dimensions are compatible with these dropouts. The large end of the taper should be at the dropout correct?
    No, the small end should be at the dropout. Without sounding like an ass, you need stays that fit the dropout or dropouts that fit the stays. We don't know the bike or rider so don't know the stays you've chosen or why.

I'm guessing you're using these dropouts :

http://www.llewellynbikes.com/HTML/f...a%20sheet..pdf

so you'll need a stay with a 12.5mm tip. I assume you have a stay with a 10.5mm tip?? If you don't have enough length to cut further up the taper you'll need to get a different stay or get creative (an exercise for the reader).

You need to get familiar with the tubing that's available but there's a few Columbus (SFL, Zona, Max) stays with 12.5 tip as well as Reynolds. Not sure off the top of my head about TT or Deda.

Or you need a different dropout. Perhaps a plate style for a slotted stay.

Cheers
    Steven Shand
    www.willowbike.com
    Handbuilt Bicycles - Scotland, UK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done this:)
    True Temper Henry James has several 12.5 tipped Seat stays
    http://www.henryjames.com/price10.pdf
    Nova actually has a Zona oversized single taper 16/12.5
    ZONA 16mm x 0.7mm Single Tapered Seat Stay 560mm Round :: SINGLE TAPER :: STRAIGHT :: ROAD SEATSTAYS :: SEATSTAYS :: TUBES STEEL :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.
    Joe Bringheli has Deda ZeroUno
    http://www.bringheli.com/PDF/DEDACCIAIsteel.pdf

cheers
    andy walker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shand you don't sound like an ass you tell it how it is. I'm a 100% hobby builder. I got bored one day and just started building bikes no training, never brazed before, and didn't read much before I started doing it. I figured the pioneers had to teach themselves, run into problems and learn and adapt as they went on.

Yes those are the drop outs I am using. I mocked up the location last night and yeah it will be to short. This is only my second frame and my last frame used forged dropouts so I'm still learning about compatibility issues. It makes sense now that there are different stays in different shapes its just something that never crossed my mind.

I ordered the tube set since it made things easier and I didn't have to piece it out. I also went with the Zona so I could start practicing on thinner tubes than the Nova set I bought my first go around.

I appreciate the help and I will order another set of stays.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The nice thing about ordering crap that's the wrong size is that eventually you wind up with a bunch of extra stuff that will all fit together.

That's how #3 started out. It'll be a townie/bar bike for me, so I don't particularly care which tubes/lugs/dropouts are in there.

And I still have some goodies for #4 if I so choose. :-)
    Will Outlaw, Amateur
    Build it. Ride the hell out of it.