Thread: Buy Nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buy Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    As a guy who sells stuff professionally, and who's social circles are mostly made up by makers and sellers of stuff, I question this sort of campaign. Rather then buy nothing, I'd be more supportive of buying smart, durable goods made by people you want to support and who's work you react to. Buy for people you love and respect, and rather then swamping them in disposable cheap items, buy them items that are as real and genuine as your love for them. It's not about the "stuff", but the stuff is a fine symbol for what is important.
    The title of the article is "The War Against Too Much of Everything". So ultimately I think the article is pretty much saying what you are saying here, which I agree with.

The constant search for a great bargain at the expense of quality/social responsibility will eventually come back to bite us in the arse. In fact in more than one way it already is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
    The constant search for a great bargain at the expense of quality/social responsibility
    can't go back. it wasn't thought of in the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    The whole notion of doing something because everyone else is is not something I easily wrap my head around.

Just a side note - what if the spirit of giving went back to the original X-mas, where the rich gave to those who had nothing?
    KIVA loan, anyone?

- Garro.
    Pulling this string. The VSalon Kiva account had $27 languishing. I gave all of it to a Liberian woman who uses a bicycle to transport coal for sale "to her good clients".

As before, if you wish to toss some legal tender into the kitty than simply declare your intention(s) and hit the VS donate button. I transfer the $$ to our VS Kiva account and that's done.

Please, anyone who wishes to find good people to give these monies to say so and I'll move the money.

It ain't much but it ain't nothing.

Thank you
    Last edited by Too Tall; 04-24-2023 at 06:52 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12