Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer RAM

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Computer RAM

Stores selling computer always encourages higher RAM for faster processing. I am looking at a MacBook Air 11 for easy mobility. Mainly for internet browsing and work on things like google docs. No significant graphics. Some excel and powerpoint. Any reason to go for 8RAM instead of 4RAM, how about must have programs that you think will develop over the next 5 years? Would like to be able to use this computer for 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Computer RAM

Normally I would say that 4GB is enough (I still think that) but if there is an off chance your usage habits will change and you decide to do more graphics, the Macbook Air's ram is soldered to the logic board, so it is not user upgradeable and in that case, go for 8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with nspace on this one, 4gb is not gonna be good for 5 years. No with laptops being a long term investment, the extra dough now will be worth it.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is never a reason NOT to get more ram. I make it a habit to max out the RAM every time I build myself a new machine. I've never regretted it.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming you plan to keep it for 2-3 years... 8 GB.
    RAM requirements go up each year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I told you Chrome Book.

It's that shit you load onto the machine that kills it. They're all good outta da box.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That popped into my mind when I read the requirements for the computer. I am waiting to get one of these next time I have a trip planned to the USA since you can't buy them in Canada. I think its a great idea as long as you are ready to embrace Google drive and already live in the Google eco-system. If you are ok with using Docs, Sheets and Slides in Google Docs than you are good to go and this is a great option.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always max out Ram. Yes, Apple charges more than it should for it, but AFAIK you can't upgrade it yourself on the new Air. 5 years for a laptop is a bit optimistic though, 3 years is usually the sweet spot. If you really want 5 years out of it I'd recommend an iMac instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely I'm in for a pleasant surprise when I finally upgrade my 8yr old G5 w/1.25G. But I still stress it pretty hard in Photoshop and it keeps chugging. Looks like I can replace it w/a refurbished one if ever needed for $150.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your a few billion transistors short of a useful pack of cards, or whatever it is now. facesuck or such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the 4GB works for you now and you don't need to run something heavy like photoshop or audio/video you should be ok. Computers don't suddenly begin to need more RAM unless you start trying to do more with them or they didn't have enough to begin with. Wouldn't hurt to max out the RAM as that will allow you more wiggle room to do more in the future though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a MacBook Air. Great computer. You'll add to its life if you max out the RAM. Also max out the hard drive. I've never regretted doing either on any computer on any platform. And now that Apple is creating OS's that are RAM dependent as well as processor dependent, it is only a matter of time before 4gb ain't enough. Mine is "old" - 2009. I can run Photoshop on mine, but it isn't happy. Lightroom is the perfect program for it though. Works just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

isn't the general lifespan of a computer nowadays 3 years... tops? (or maybe that's just what I've come to accept working at a tech company)

if that's the case, I'm not sure the ass-clown ridiculous charges that Apple charge to go from 4 to 8 gb is ever worth it. In 3 years, I'd expect computer prices to drop significantly entirely because of the convergence between the tablet, the barebones netbook/chromebook types, and true laptops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not worth a new thread on this but I figured I could ask here:

I have a ~2006 iMac that has 4GB of RAM (I upgraded it from 1 or 2, can;t remember.)
    It's now too old to keep updating the OS, new Aperture 3 releases and plugins aren't compatible, and it's slow as hell when running Aperture, let alone multiple programs open at once.

I'm just going to get the base model current iMac and upgrade it myself from 8GB to 16GB. Looks like that'll be at least $100 cheaper than buying the same from Apple, and about a 3 weeks less wait.

Is there a preferred brand or type of RAM I ought to be looking for, or a particular brand(s) to avoid? Or is it just all the same, like inner tubes?
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get your memory from cruicial.com. They have a good model lookup system and sell high quality parts. RAM is mostly the same, but different manufactures vary in quality control and ease of return. Sometimes (not too often) you can get a bad chip. RAM is also a commodity so depending on how the existing RAM is configured (onebig chip or pairs) you may be able to sell it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, ram comes in sizes (iMacs use laptop sized ram) and speed. You'll need to match the memory that's suitable for what's already in there, to avoid overpaying or under performing.

There's a couple websites out there that will tell you which one to get. Make sure the iMac is upgradeable, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ram is 21" models soldered in nowadays? You can only upgrade the 27" model?

(Just getting my day started, I'll look it up for you if no one else has answered later).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    No, ram comes in sizes (iMacs use laptop sized ram) and speed. You'll need to match the memory that's suitable for what's already in there, to avoid overpaying or under performing.

There's a couple websites out there that will tell you which one to get. Make sure the iMac is upgradeable, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ram is 21" models soldered in nowadays? You can only upgrade the 27" model?

(Just getting my day started, I'll look it up for you if no one else has answered later).
    bah, just read this in a review. The newest 21" iMac doesn't have user-changeable RAM like the old ones- seems you have to take the whole shebang apart.
    hmm
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    bah, just read this in a review. The newest 21" iMac doesn't have user-changeable RAM like the old ones- seems you have to take the whole shebang apart.
    hmm
    The 27" definitely does. They also just dropped the price on Airbooks and Macbook Pros by $200. Also check out their refurbished program (I've heard only good things about it).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So...would a Mac Mini with 16GB and 1TB still blow a 2006 Mac outta the water?
    All I need is to run Aperture and Excel. I don't do video, no games, etc.

Seems like that, plus a $150 Viewsonic or Dell monitor could be the ticket.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their refurbs are great. I bought a refurbished Macbook Pro last October. Other than not getting retail packaging, you wouldn't be able to tell it from new. Selection can be sometimes problematic if you're looking for something out of the normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast