User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoothie / shake ideas??? Just got a Vitamix and I'm having fun experimenting...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Smoothie / shake ideas??? Just got a Vitamix and I'm having fun experimenting...

Well, since you have no dietary restrictions and based on your goals/uses, I'd suggest you look into the MyoFusion Probiotic series. They use a pH controlled protein that allows for a slower digestion, so you get an immediate quick-digesting component which is great for post-workout muscle-supply, in addition to a much slower releasing protein that will keep you full between meals. It also has an excellent amino-acid profile, so it is considered a very "complete" protein source. It dissolves very well in either milk or water, with very little agitation and in a blender will barely be noticeable other than thickening things up a bit. The flavors are quite excellent, especially the chocolate peanut butter, but the regular vanilla and chocolate are quite good. It's relatively inexpensive, if you do a breakdown per gram of protein. It also has a probiotic in it that helps with digestion (and supposedly immune system function, but I've got my doubts there), so it is quite easy on the stomach!

The other concept here is that in theory, all muscle development happens in your sleep, when you body is releasing growth hormones and actually rebuilding muscle (i.e. utilizing protein). So, with that in mind it is a good idea to get some protein in you before bed. With a slow-digesting casein protein or something like MyoFusion that is pH controlled, you get a nice slow release that should ideally peak during your SWS cycle, which is exactly when your body needs it the most. That, and you won't wake up so hungry. Make sure to get about 10g of carbs along with it before bed.

Science!
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Smoothie / shake ideas??? Just got a Vitamix and I'm having fun experimenting...

My lunchtime salad drink;
    blueberries
    v-8
    baby spinnach
    litte bit of fresh ginger
    cucumber
    dash of valentina's or tay-patio sauce

I make mine in a magic bullet.

not much for the sweeter ones, this works for me
    the cucumber is the key and cilantro is good too unless you are one of the people that reads cilantro as tasting like soap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bumping this up for a quick question.

I'd like to try some green smoothies in the morning to get my body going right away, without taking in a bunch of simple sugar. Any recipe recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

super basic for me

1 cup kefir (dig the trader joe's for texture)
    1 banana
    1 cup strawberries
    1 tbsp peanut butter

or

1 cup kefir
    1 banana
    1 tbsp nutella

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not green, but wanted to post it for the record

My dinner once or twice a week:
    3/4lb frozen strawberries
    1 frozen banana
    1 chobani blueberry or strawberry banana yogurt
    2-3 cups of milk
    Half a fistful of peanut butter

So much goodness. It's perfect for dropping your core temp on those really hot aummer days too
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    Give up cycling, keep riding the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just can't imagine a green smoothie unless it's green from kiwi, greengage plums, melon, avocado, pistachio, or maybe mint (?). Then again, I can't vouch for my imagination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been doing some variations of this: A couple ice cubes, fist full of spinach, fist full of baby kale, bunch of green grapes, some frozen mango, bit of ginger, splash of fizzy water to moisten it up. Sweet enough for me. I'm not sure it will really get you going in the morning since this is probably not a lot of calories. Maybe some yogurt or wheat germ for some protein would help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Bumping this up for a quick question.

I'd like to try some green smoothies in the morning to get my body going right away, without taking in a bunch of simple sugar. Any recipe recommendations?
    I happened on this article that contained a green smoothie recipe. It's from some guy who is in much better shape than I, so it must be survivable, at least.

4 Delicious Vegan Recipes for Athletes | Outside Online

Ingredients:

1 cup pineapple, skin removed
    4 large leaves dinosaur kale
    2 teaspoon maca powder
    2 tablespoon chia seeds
    2 teaspoon ground flax seeds
    2 tablespoon hemp seeds
    1⁄2 cup raw coconut
    2 tablespoon coconut oil
    3 dates, pitted
    1 teaspoon blue green algae
    3 cups filtered water

Preparation: In a Vitamix or high-powered blender, add all the ingredients, blend on high for a minute. Drink!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got this from my sister and digging it.

Peeled Tumeric Root
    Peeled Ginger
    Ice
    2% milk

What a shot in the arm/morning wake up!

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This totals approx. 600 calories and I feel great and it is not 2000 calories I would have had if I had my way with leftovers.
    This is how I roll, post ride, and its a disaster. I eat till I'm bloated and uncomfortable, then fall asleep.

For a smoothie, obviously fresh fruit is best but we keep a stock of frozen fruit for convenience.

For a fluid/thinner, we'll use whatever we have on hand - soy, almond, dairy, fruit juice, whatever... Nut butters are a nice additive or tr. You can always use your local smoothie joint for inspiration as well. We have this place in town and they do pretty well. Really, you can blend just about anything and there's some satisfaction to be had with experimentation.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a smoothie, but I made my own Nutella type stuff last week with my BlendTec and the Twister Jar. It's pretty fantastic and about half the sugar of the store stuff.

Nutella.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do tell. Looks like straight evil, me want.

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Not a smoothie, but I made my own Nutella type stuff last week with my BlendTec and the Twister Jar. It's pretty fantastic and about half the sugar of the store stuff.

Nutella.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Do tell. Looks like straight evil, me want.
    Mostly this:

Copycat Nutella Recipe | Blendtec

The trial and error part is cutting in just the right amount of grapeseed oil into the coconut oil to get the consistency right. Too little grapeseed and it's tough to spread. Too much and it's soupy at room temp.

I can also be more than satisfied using less sugar than they call for.

Oh, pro tip: make sure you de-shell the hazelnuts a bit. Oops. My first batch was a bit "chunky". I bought the pre roasted hazlenuts from Trader Joes and it turned out fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12