Thread: The Art of shaving your legs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Art of shaving your legs

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Winter is for Wookies. Don't worry about killing the wookiee until spring.
    Says the man who four weeks ago showed up on a ride with smooth legs so glistening with embro we made him ride at the back of the paceline to protect our eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Antique Safety razor, ho(idaho)made soap.

Toots dammint-you're one of the guys responsible for putting me on traditional shaving. I use open-comb double-edged for face and a "long-comb" DE for all else. There is no plastic beyond brush handles in my shaving arsenal. (I'm selling off the TTO's too, just keeping one 3-piece travel.)

I have hit the legs with a straight razor, but it's just to tedious-although a good place to "warm up" when learning to SR the face.

possibly i'll compose some pics of my gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used to use the Mach 3 and KissmyFace shave lotion. It did a GREAT job. I save that for my face now, however, because my legs don't need to be that close and it took too much time. As long as the hair isn't being pulled around during massage...what's the difference?

So now I use this:

P12297778.jpg

Easy. 5 minutes and done. Close enough for embro. No more ingrown issues either.

À chacun son goût...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

used a de razor on the legs tonite

what a freakin revelation! so much closer and w/ less effort. what blades are yall using? i've got derbys in there now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post

what a freakin revelation! so much closer and w/ less effort. what blades are yall using? i've got derbys in there now
    Feather SS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one who uses Nair? It works great if you can get over the smell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    Am I the only one who uses Nair? It works great if you can get over the smell.
    no experience, but my impression was light chemical burns with continued use..?

i dunno
    witchcraft

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually any blades that I don't like enough to use on my face, for legs I don't notice a huge difference as long as you stay away from the super crappy blades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what blades are yall using? i've got derbys in there now
    Feathers or Merkur. I use them for a week on the face and then they go in the leg razor. I use a Gillette Super Adjustable for the face and a Merkur HD for the legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once tried my wife's epilator - never again.
    You could hear my cries all around the neighborhood.

I think that ladies are made of sterner stuff than I.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here's my tried and true method starting from scratch. The right razor makes all the difference I have found. 3 key pieces of advice NEVER to be broken:

NEVER use the same razor blade that you're using for your face.
    NEVER use your wife's or girlfriend's razor blade. Ever. You value your life if you know what's good for you.
    ALWAYS ask your wife / girlfriend permission to use any of their skin care products. Not asking is asking for a heap of trouble and a trip strait to the doghouse faster than you can spell any 4 letter word known to Mandom...

1. Using a clipper (mine is a Wahl), no attachment, remove all hair. Make yourself a pair of fur shorts...
    2. Into warm shower, shave last so that the skin has time to warm up and remaining stub to become "supple".
    3. If it's the very first time, use a sensitive gel. I prefer the ladies Gillette "Satin Care" for dry skin. Lather up one leg at a time, water off to the side so as not to wash off the lather.
    4. I use a devoted blade just for my legs. The current one is a Gillette "Fusion". It has 4 blades and an articulated head. Cut with the grain if you're really concerned, cut against the grain to get a really close shave letting the blades do the work. DO NOT press. Light touch. Stretch the skin across the trouble spots so it is taught.
    5. Finish both legs and apply a second coat of shaving cream and let set for a few minutes. I've found this really helps.
    6. Dry and apply your choice of moisturizer (current "wife supplied" is Jergens "ultra healing"). That is the key last step, each time - no exceptions.

I've also noticed that some days, when it's really hot or really humid are the worst days to shave (face or legs - I have a really sensitive face and often go unshaven for days on end because of it). Shaving on a day when the conditions aren't right can lead to a really bad case of burn. I used to use a Norelco 5825 XL with good success after that first shave for maintenance and upkeep. But once those blades got dull... wow.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    I have a really sensitive face and often go unshaven for days on end because of it
    Brother, get yourself a DE safety razor and add some prep to that, you have no idea how insanely large of a difference it makes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave up leg shaving when I gave up road racing. My wife says she'll disown me if I do it again. I know where my "bread" is "buttered".
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trick of it is not to let them get too old-growth. Any old razor will do fine. I like the Gillette gel foam stuff, but in a pinch just grab conditioner, it works mostly as well. Soak in the bath for a bit, then do the deed. Don't let the razor clog. Go from ankles upwards. That's against the grain so works better.

I've done waxing too, but it hurts like hell and you look like a member of the sisterhood waiting for the bloody things to get long enough for the wax to grip.
    Suzy Jackson
    Vanity blog: http://suzyj.blogspot.com
    Little fish bicycles website: http://www.littlefishbicycles.com

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suzyj View Post

I've done waxing too, but it hurts like hell and you look like a member of the sisterhood waiting for the bloody things to get long enough for the wax to grip.
    Precious atmo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    I gave up leg shaving when I gave up road racing. My wife says she'll disown me if I do it again. I know where my "bread" is "buttered".
    I now do it only once a year..when the road season really gets underway in earnest in March...just to put me in the mood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is shaping up nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    My wife gets mad if I stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The technique that I found works best is to soak in a nice hot tub for 5-10 minutes.
    Ensure you are completely warm and *never* shave if you are chilled and/or have goosebumps.

While still in tub, one leg is completely lathered and I use a new Gillette Sensor Excel razor.
    Repeat process on second leg and then shower with cooling peppermint soap. You'll feel like a million bucks.

I am eager to explore using a classic safety razor in the near future.
    My theory is the single edge will rinse far easier than the multi-blade things out there.

Besides...I don't think those extra blades necessarily guarantee a closer shave.
    Safety razors are the next thing that I will now have to Google for research!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Despite the fact I've used a DE for years disposable razors are the only thing that works for my legs.
    If I'm very patient the DE will work but darn if the gal-pal razors aren't great, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    The technique that I found works best is to soak in a nice hot tub for 5-10 minutes.
    Ensure you are completely warm and *never* shave if you are chilled and/or have goosebumps.

While still in tub, one leg is completely lathered and I use a new Gillette Sensor Excel razor.
    Repeat process on second leg and then shower with cooling peppermint soap. You'll feel like a million bucks.

I am eager to explore using a classic safety razor in the near future.
    My theory is the single edge will rinse far easier than the multi-blade things out there.

Besides...I don't think those extra blades necessarily guarantee a closer shave.
    Safety razors are the next thing that I will now have to Google for research!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast