Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Home style pizza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Home style pizza

Plenty on where to go. This is on how to do. I have done a couple on the grill on a stone. Good results so far. I'm interested in doing something at high temp/short cook time. Pic of an early result. One difficulty: getting the dough to slide from the spatula to the stone. Corn meal helps a lot. I prefer it to using excessive flour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home style pizza

I have a lot to say about this, i will be back. Gonna go eat something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks awesome. I never have luck on the grill. Do you prepare your pizza on the peel? I tried that thinking it would be one less transfer. In reality the dough just got the extra flour on the peel wet and made sure it wouldn't slide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you make pizza on the peel and it is sticking try this. Bone dry peel natch, plenty of table flour don't put a wet dough on a dry peel that's asking for trouble. Use white corn meal generously until you figure out that your dough is too wet ;) When you put the dough onto the peel immediately give it a sharp back/forth jiggle and establish that you can make it slide...if not back to square one. Last, don't leave the pizza on the peel for longer than it takes to assemble.

I'm trying a new method using a hunk of steel...somebody here linked a guy who makes these. What fascinated me is that people claim to make great neoplitan at 500F which is a piece of cake in a regular oven or the Big Green Egg at "normal" temps. Generally on the Egg I let er' rip to 700F and make 5 min. pizzas but you have to keep them thin or you'll burn them sooooo I'll report back.

I kill for a good no sauce pizza.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm with you almost exactly. Hot grill, hot pizza stone, corn meal, short cook time (don't go inside for that next beer or it'll cost ya). I use a spatula to lift it and get the pizza board underneath. Sometimes it sticks a little so you just gotta force it (oh wow, that's asking for trouble). Mine look similar to yours, but not quite as nice - looks like you've nailed it!

I want to try it straight on the grill but I don't have the guts because of the mess I envision having to clean after I screw it up.

Damn, now I've got a craving...

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Plenty on where to go. This is on how to do. I have done a couple on the grill on a stone. Good results so far. I'm interested in doing something at high temp/short cook time. Pic of an early result. One difficulty: getting the dough to slide from the spatula to the stone. Corn meal helps a lot. I prefer it to using excessive flour.

Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

¿ Five minutes pizzas? It takes me more than 15 minutes to have one ready... I put the dough (very thin) over oven paper at 200ºC.
    luis prado alonso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's a little bit bachelor style, but substituting a flour tortilla for dough speeds things up a ton. I learned it from my teenage son, who likes to make little pizzas on 6" tortillas that I always have in the kitchen.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me start by saying that we grill pizza at least once a week, year round, and more in the nicer seasons. And, we never use anything but the grill. No stone, steel pan or anything else, just as though you are grilling steak.

1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water
    1 1/4 cups unbleached white flour
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    1/2tsp. salt
    1 cup whole wheat flour

Mix yeast, warm water and white flour. Mix well, then add oil, salt and wheat flour. Place dough on lightly floured counter/table. Knead for about five minutes, or until it gets elasticy. Put in an oiled bowl, in a warm place for an hour or so.

This is the easiest, most grill ready pizza dough that we have made. Be sure to be exact in measuring, this ain't the time to freestyle.

This will make enough dough for a couple of sheet pan size pies.

It is so easy, do not be scared..

Take the dough, thin out to your desired thickness (i usually go 1/4" or so), put on sheet pan/stone whatever, take directly to the grill. Place dough over direct heat for about 5 minutes or so.. When the bottom of the crust looks almost done, remove from the grill.. Grilled side up.

You should be putting your toppings on what was the bottom side, now turned upside down.

When you have your toppings on, put back on the grill until it is done.

Now there is lots more to this in regards to toppings. i.e. precooking proteins and what not, but as far as pizza goes, it is that easy.

Dough, grill, toppings, grill, eat/drink/accept accolades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey MH go find that pizza dough recipe I typed up awhile back.

The big slab of steel -- that's the other way to do it. Dress the pie into a french steel pan cold, fire at 500, slides right out. No need for cornmeal or other lubricious substances or peel, works like an ez stone. 10 minute Margherita.

As an aside a friend bought a house that was the site of a 80 yr. old communal bakery with a massive hearth. Whilst excavating a peel was found...with a 16 foot handle.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For dough sticking to the peel, I rub flour into the peel then tap peel on the table to remove extra four, then coat with a layer of cornmeal. I heat my oven as hot as it will go, then toss a bit of cornmeal on the stone, then slide the pie onto the stone. Cooks maybe 8 or 9 minutes.

I've had good luck improving the dough texture by adding gluten to the four for a chewier. less bread-like dough.

I picked up a pizza screen at a local restaurant supply store recently, and amazingly it works just as well as the stone, with the advantage of being easier to use and even less cook time.

Good luck.

Never grilled a pizza, but that sounds fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live for pizza. I like cheese the best with a simple red sauce and basil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What i love about pizza, is that it is good "get together food." For example: my wife kicked me out of the house until later tonight. Her gal pals, and kids, are having some sort of get together which i have been banished. We made the dough recipe, as described in post #8, x3. So there is enough for 8, 10" pizzas or so.

Put out 2 or 3 proteins,(grilled chicken, sausage, what not), and about 10 toppings.. Let each kid/mom combo go at it. You come with 8 or so pies.. Share and share alike.. Rarely do we get a bad combo.

Its a good way to have a good time with kids, although, i have found adults go all apey as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done this for a few family parties and plan on doing it again in a couple weeks. I just pre-cook the crust so that is ready to go. Tons-O-Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    What i love about pizza, is that it is good "get together food." For example: my wife kicked me out of the house until later tonight. Her gal pals, and kids, are having some sort of get together which i have been banished. We made the dough recipe, as described in post #8, x3. So there is enough for 8, 10" pizzas or so.

Put out 2 or 3 proteins,(grilled chicken, sausage, what not), and about 10 toppings.. Let each kid/mom combo go at it. You come with 8 or so pies.. Share and share alike.. Rarely do we get a bad combo.

Its a good way to have a good time with kids, although, i have found adults go all apey as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done pizza on the grill and in the oven, but I prefer the grill since I can get it up to ~700 degrees. Either way, I preheat my 3" stone for ~1 hour to make sure it's uniform temperature.

For the pizza dough:
    1 kg Napoli Antimo Caputo tipo "00" flour (red bag not the blue bag)
    3 cups water
    4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp active dry yeast
    Mix 3 min, rest 10 min, mix 3 min (should be very sticky). Divide & form dough balls (~6 wafer thin pizzas depending on the size you want) & rest overnight in fridge in oiled proofing container(s). Extra dough balls can be frozen.

Remove from fridge & allow to warm to room temperature. Form pizza on well floured surface. Transfer to dry wood peel w/ light layer of corn meal/rice flour/... Quickly assemble w/ tppings (pesto, mole salumi salami, bufala mozzarella, fresh basil) shake often from side to side to keep from sticking. Slide that bad boy onto scorching hot stone. Done in ~ 3 min if @ 700 degrees. Remove with metal peel. Serve with your favorite hoppy beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pizza is what I do. Ill give out a couple of hints...

King Arthur has a high gluten flour called Sir Lancelot, short of getting commercial flour it's the best stuff going. It usually has to be ordered.

Cook hot, pre heat the stone for a ling time. It needs to be real hot. I like to bleed the hot air from the oven and let a super hot stone do my cooking.

Grande Cheese. That's the last word in traditional Moz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a big fan of high gluten content flour. It's great if you like a chewy crust (like a bagel) or want to be able to toss you pizza in the air. If you goal is a silky & airy traditional Italian style crust, I think any of the Caputo tipo "00" flours are a better option atmo. 

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Pizza is what I do. Ill give out a couple of hints...

King Arthur has a high gluten flour called Sir Lancelot, short of getting commercial flour it's the best stuff going. It usually has to be ordered.

Cook hot, pre heat the stone for a ling time. It needs to be real hot. I like to bleed the hot air from the oven and let a super hot stone do my cooking.

Grande Cheese. That's the last word in traditional Moz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdhansen63 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of high gluten content flour. It's great if you like a chewy crust (like a bagel) or want to be able to toss you pizza in the air. If you goal is a silky & airy traditional Italian style crust, I think any of the Caputo tipo "00" flours are a better option atmo. 
    Caputo 00 is considered high gluten at approx 12%. What you are describing is a case of handling, not flour.

Granted, most home cooks don't need high gluten flours. High gluten is really for power mixers and the abuse we put dough through when we do it commercially.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of mozzarella - a friend's grandfather has been making mozzarella on a daily basis for the family store in the central coast. I haven't had it, but it gets rave reviews and sells out very quickly.

steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A quick thing I do when making a pizza at home with little time or for a large crowd is to preheat a cast iron pan on high on the range, put the pizza in that pan, then in the oven, top rack on high broil. Takes a couple minutes to cook, both sides are done evenly. Pull it out, and the next one is ready to go in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Homemade mozz is not very difficult, but is time consuming and needs close temperature monitoring. For the right occasion, it is worth doing.

Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast