Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: Home style pizza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home style pizza

The youngest is home for a few weeks after graduation, so pizza was requested for a hot Saturday night.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was about 95 degrees today and after coaching, then spectating, multiple kids soccer games (on astroturf!), I was not much in the mood to cook. So we defrosted a few dough balls and made pizza.

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my dad to visit this weekend (65th birthday) and the plan was to make pizza for him on Saturday night, but when a front moved in and fell a tree onto the power line a half a block up the street our plans changed (went out for a great Vietnamese dinner). Come Monday it was really use-it or lose-it on the pizza dough so Monday night was pizza night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's it. I'm getting a pizza cooker.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    That's it. I'm getting a pizza cooker.
    There are myriad ways to skin that cat and, in my experience, many of them are good.

As a data point I've been using a Green Mountain pellet smoker with this $140 attachment. I would never have bought a pellet grill/smoker for myself, but I'll be damned if it hasn't been pretty awesome smoking wings, ribs, shoulders, hams, and fish. It's difficult, if even possible, with most cookers to smoke at 150F, but that's how I like to smoke sides of salmon and the results are just fantastic. I've found the sweet spot for making pizza how we like it at home to get the stone in the 725F range and I can get it plenty hotter. Like I said, I wouldn't have bought a wifi smoker that I control with my phone for myself, but this rig has been pretty great for us.

We gifted a Gozney Roccbox as a wedding gift last year and they really like it.

If I had the space that you do, though, I'd be very tempted to build myself a wood fired oven. They're just so fun and cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shoulda taken some photos but I was hungry, each and every time I made pizza lately.

Over the past month:

Used a round pizza stone in the charcoal grill; cooked the pizza fine; nice crust; cracked the stone.

Used the larger, thicker, rectangular pizza stone in a 550F oven, preheating the stone for about 45 min. Cooked the pizza fine, nice crust; didn’t crack the stone; but it’s a thousand degrees outside and I’m pumping pizza stone preheat heat into the house and then trying to remove it with the AC; profligate; can’t do it; fk’n nuts.

Thought, hmmm, how about a thin (read thermally responsive) metal cookie sheet, on a lower rack for a minute or two as the oven passes through 500 (no preheat), moved to the rack a space or two higher thereafter; comes out as it nears 550 or shortly thereafter; kill the burner. Cooked the pizza fine, crust just as good, still a thousand degrees outside; only semi profligate (about 1/6th) use of energy. No need to buy more stuff, made (resources) and shipped from somewhere else (more resources), expensive (yet more resources), to do only one thing and destined to be transported to the dump (yet even more resources). Happy medium for when we want pizza.

Covered, screened deck runs around the entire house; it’s tropical down here, more-so by the year; set up a table with electric hot plate + toaster oven. If I’m steaming veggies, boiling water for pasta, baking small stuff (it’s always small stuff)….if cooking anything that can be done on those two, and most stuff we eat can, then that’s where it generally occurs for summer. Having the kitchen heating the crap out of the house when it’s a thousand degrees outside, and then burning more energy to pump it out….anybody see a fundamental problem with that?

Today’s margarita pizza was pretty good. Not as good as Little Italy, about 18 miles away RT on Magnolia (resources), but damn well good enough.

I'd kinda like to make a pizza/bread oven outside (yes, resources but mineral/earthen based, not destined for the dump); it's about number one thousand on my to-do list; and it's hot right now.

Oh, and I discovered that it's easier and quicker to make the dough the old fashioned way (elbow grease) than with the damn Kitchen Aide stand mixer. If amortized by the number of times it's been used....'fk, don't like to think about it, and that's what monkey see, monkey do can do for ya.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to my excel spreadsheet, we’re within a handful of weekends of paying off last years pizza oven purchase versus ordering Andy’s/Pupatella locally.

My dough continues to get better and my wife said last weekend's was the best yet. It was a 57% hydration Roman style. And I only made it that morning?!? I guess the EVOO, sugar, and salt work some magic.
    I will make dough tomorrow for Saturday or Sunday consumption (the kids are begging for sushi- no complaints except for the cost), so this weeks crust version will be well aged.

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pizza again tonight. Same recipe as above, with a 30 hour proof. Dough was nice.

One of my daughters crafted a perfect traditional pie. I switched it up today by doing half preserved lemon, pickled tomato and buffalo mozzarella and half bbq chicken, romesco sauce, shredded mozzarella, and jalapeños. Both were tasty but at the end of the day there’s really no beating regular old tomatoes and cheese.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was gifted an Ooni gas powered oven and put it to work immediately. My peel was too big so I had to run down to the basement and make a new one. I have no idea what kind of wood this is but it is beautiful. I think it was the rough sawn bottom of a built in pantry drawer that I saved when we remodeled. The handle is way too long but it was my first peel.

I took the oven to work a couple days later and we made 12 pizzas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RW - Tell me about the stand that your weber kettle resides in. It's always been the cheaply made two wheel / Pod stands that weber utilizes that has caused me to run the other way. The kettle, lid assembly coupled with the Kettle Pizza add on has me more than intrigued, but still, the stand....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian…this is the model that I have and it’s about 10 years old. It’s held up very well and I use a vinyl cover.

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-1540100..._1660786385317
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not quite a pizza, insomuch as being a tomato tart. Stale bread (sacrilegious I know), eggs, parmesan, ricotta, spices, olive oil, tomatoes and some basil.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s get this Labor Day weekend started with some pizza.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopped for lunch with an old friend at Papa J’s in the Strip in Pittsburgh and I got the grand tour from the owner, Michael. His pizza and focaccia start as 90% hydration dough and the end product…yum. Oh….the gelato was superb and they make their own pasta too. Now I’ll have to come back with Mrs. RW as I made the mistake and sent photos.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time doing sourdough pies on the Ooni. Crust was a little underfermented, another 24hrs in the fridge would have helped I think. But banging overall.

The first pie I didn't have the heat turned all the way up, so the crust got a little more brown than ideal. On the 2nd two I cranked the heat and it worked out better.

The little lady loves helping make the pizza. Next time I'm going to let her make her own dough ball and do it all (with my oversight) entirely by herself.

^^That last one is Chris Bianco's 'Pizza Rosa' and it's good, but I think next time I'll do regular parmesan instead of parmigiano reggiano, and I put the pistachios on too early.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 04-24-2023 at 08:48 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best weird pizza I've had is one made by this pizzaiolo in the town near Lucca where we rented a villa - gorgonzola dolce and pear. A blinding hot oven and see-thru thin slices of pear that fast caramelized in the gorgonzola with a coating of ancient parmesan - whoosh.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Best weird pizza I've had is one made by this pizzaiolo in the town near Lucca where we rented a villa - gorgonzola dolce and pear. A blinding hot oven and see-thru thin slices of pear that fast caramelized in the gorgonzola with a coating of ancient parmesan - whoosh.
    I'm dyyyyyin' I will steal that recipe no doubt.

Dustin, I hear you and kudos getting your family involved. I have bad luck with fermented pizza dough and keep coming back to good old 8 hrs. ferment at room temp. When you hit that sweet spot with longer ferment make me the first to know because I really want that taste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cheat on the dough. I go down to Perreca's deli next to their bakery and get one pound frozen dough balls. They're flour, water, yeast and salt and good luck trying to find out what flour they're using. State secrets are more loosely held. I take one out of the freezer and put it in the bottom of the fridge three or four days before I plan to make a pie and let it thaw there. Day of it goes in a bowl covered on the counter at least three hours before pie making. It comes out chewy, tasty and I'd need more than the 130 years Perreca's has been around to get mine coming out that well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s been so nice out, I decided to make some dough last evening, fire up the pizza oven tonight and dine on the patio.
    rw saunders