Thread: Home style pizza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home style pizza

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    No sir. This is trash pizza. Had a bit of an issue...dough stuck to my peel. Sad face. We still ate half of it. Had to clean cheese and veggies out of the bottom of the oven the next day.

Pizza pro tip :: always cook two. That way at least one of them is likely going to be edible haha.

Also, new dough recipe on these, 10% whole wheat. Turned out great.

I had this happen more times than I can count, mostly because my women like to load up the toppings. The solution seemed to be, after I get the pizza shell stretched I throw them on the grill for about 30 seconds. It firms up the shell so it takes the toppings better and slides off the peel a lot easier when loaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    I had this happen more times than I can count, mostly because my women like to load up the toppings. The solution seemed to be, after I get the pizza shell stretched I throw them on the grill for about 30 seconds. It firms up the shell so it takes the toppings better and slides off the peel a lot easier when loaded.
    My cheater method has been to build the pie on parchment paper and put it on the stone on the paper. It slides of the peel easy peasy that way. After 3 or 4mins I remove the paper so it doesn't catch fire.

There's two things I want to try:
    1 - I want a steel instead of the stone, for faster heat transfer and a quicker baking of the crust. I never get that coveted leopard spotted bottom.

2 - Instead of parchment paper I'm going to try tinfoil. I figure it should be essentially invisible as far as heat transfer is concerned, and it wont burn like paper.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

D.D. you won't regret the steel plate. Some years back there was a kickstarter for this and a few of us jumped in. They because a legit company...not sure what the name is. Mine is the heavy version and boyhowdy you can't miss.

FWIIW are you having issues on the grill or oven baked? For grill I oil the dough and flip the oil side down onto the grill for about 1 min., remove and make the pie than return for 6 or 7 mins. This is with BGE at nuclear temps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    D.D. you won't regret the steel plate. Some years back there was a kickstarter for this and a few of us jumped in. They because a legit company...not sure what the name is. Mine is the heavy version and boyhowdy you can't miss.

FWIIW are you having issues on the grill or oven baked? For grill I oil the dough and flip the oil side down onto the grill for about 1 min., remove and make the pie than return for 6 or 7 mins. This is with BGE at nuclear temps.
    I haven't used my Egg since I found the crack in the base. The hinges need to be realigned too, so I just haven't messed with it. I need to see if I can get them to replace the base for me...but I'm not the original owner, so....

Haven't tried a pizza on the Weber yet. I can get it up over 600*F with a vortex, but I worry that the stone/steel wouldn't be heated evenly, the center would be hotter than the edges. Egg I could get pushing 900+ degrees LOL. Take the daisy wheel off the top, open the bottom vent all the way, and before you know it there's blue flames shooting out the top.

I've never tried grilling a pizza directly on the grate, my dough is so soft I think it would fall through. Maybe it would firm up fast enough not to...

Anyhow, I've been cooking them in the oven lately. A guy at my new day job owns Grill Master Grills and he's going to make me a baking steel. AKA, he's going to give me a piece of 14x16 1/4" plate. I'll season it myself. Baking Steel is the company you're thinking of, they've got a few different versions now. I can get a piece of steel from my coworker for a lot less $$ though.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 12-11-2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a steel that I put my pie on and I also have a stone above the pizza to radiate heat down.

If you are getting sticking, liberally sprinkle semolina on your peel before putting the dough on it. It will eliminate your sticking issues and is much easier to work with than parchment paper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to do the grille and flip thing and then I started to just spread a little corn meal on a wooden peel. I roll the dough on the countertop (room temperature) and add a little flour when I roll. Then I place the shell on the peel, dress the shell with the sauce and goodies and then insert into the oven on top of a stone, also dusted with corn meal. I've found it easier to make the pizza on a wooden peel and turn and remove the pizza on a metal peel. Who knows...YMMV.

Now that I'm good and hungry, I'm off to Von's Vons1 to meet our daughter for dinner. They've got an awesome wood fired sopressata pizza and I might treat myself...pics to follow.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmmm nice looking pie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a peel made out of skateboard ramps. https://www.epicureancs.com/about/ Not sure how it's stickiness compares to real wood or metal. I don't want two peels simply because our kitchen is small and less is more.

Nice thing about the cheater parchment paper method is it's so much cleaner than dusting everything with flour/cornmeal/etc and slinging it all over the inside of the oven. Or maybe I'm just messy haha.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use parchment paper too. I cut the paper back so only a 1/2" or so extends beyond the edge of the dough. When I left too much paper it burned. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my first bag of 00 flour, and mixed up some dough balls last night for dinner tonight. Looking forward to cooking these! The dough looks and feels good. Didn't add any other flour, just white 00.

I had to buy the flour online, no one local carries any.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dustin...not the least expensive flour option, but King Arthur carries some unique products...some good pizza dough recipes too.

flours | King Arthur Flour

Pizza crust Recipes | King Arthur Flour
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The KA White Whole Wheat does quite a nice job on pizza... TooTall turned me on to this stuff shortly before I returned to the Paleo ranks and couldn't eat it any more...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

こだわり | PIZZA STRADA

This is my buddy's place in Tokyo. Half way down the page, you can see the pizza oven he had made by an artist who makes kilns for pottery. It is the coolest oven around.

If you are ever in Tokyo, stop by Strada in Azabu Juban (just below Roppongi). You won't be disappointed. For a cheap eats place in Tokyo, he was listed in the 2015 Michelin Guide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    The KA White Whole Wheat does quite a nice job on pizza... TooTall turned me on to this stuff shortly before I returned to the Paleo ranks and couldn't eat it any more...
    The white whole wheat is supposedly exactly the same as normal wheat, just a lighter colored version. Right? If so, it'll have the same gluten (or lack of) characteristics as brown whole wheat, right? Reading KA's website about it, it seems like it's purpose is to trick people into eating whole wheat...which isn't a problem for us, we like whole wheat, I just haven't been able to make a dough that puffs up like non-whole wheat flour.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    The white whole wheat is supposedly exactly the same as normal wheat, just a lighter colored version. Right? If so, it'll have the same gluten (or lack of) characteristics as brown whole wheat, right? Reading KA's website about it, it seems like it's purpose is to trick people into eating whole wheat...which isn't a problem for us, we like whole wheat, I just haven't been able to make a dough that puffs up like non-whole wheat flour.
    Hmmm... I just got it off the shelf of my local Whole Foods... Gotta talk to TooTall about that! I added Vital Wheat Gluten to help the rise...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Hmmm... I just got it off the shelf of my local Whole Foods... Gotta talk to TooTall about that! I added Vital Wheat Gluten to help the rise...
    All I know is that if I try to use regular whole wheat I make nice round bricks. That recipe I posted is killer. Vital wheat gluten is saving the day no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 00 flour worked pretty well, nice texture, spotted up a bit on the bottom - once I get my steel it should be even better. Next time I'll leave more dough around the edge for a puffier crust.

Pepperoni and mushroom.

Hawaiian BBQ. Also, that was the last of my pulled pork - looks like I'll be doing some BBQ this weekend!

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bueno D.G.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fine looking pies sir!
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color me excited :: got my new pizza steel today. 14"x16"x.25". Co-worker made it for me, he builds custom grills/smokers and has plenty of material laying around. $20. Tonight I'll get it cleaned up and seasoned, and tomorrow - WE PIZZA!

Last edited by dgaddis; 01-22-2018 at 09:38 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com