Thread: Home style pizza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home style pizza

Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    I found that the pizza is easiest to handle if you use parchment paper. I roll out the dough and build the pizza on parchment, cut the parchment with a little to spare around the crust, and slide the whole thing onto my peel, and then onto the preheated stone. I use flour on the parchment paper when I roll the dough so the dough doesn't stick. You can remove the parchment after the pizza cooks a bit, or just leave it.
    This is exactly the same way I cook sourdough boules, makes the transfer easy and pretty foolproof.

Never thought of doing it for pizza, no idea why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    My crazy GF just came home from sunny Central Washington with all for these tomatoes! These are the meatiest, ripest, reddest Romas I've ever had, so we made one of the best ever pizzas last night. Simply topped with chopped tomato, garlic, basil, salt, olive oil and fresh mozzerella, and pecorino. In the right proportions these topping can be heavenly.
    I've decided I want to make more foo foo pizza than just the red sauce. So this one had pesto (cilantro parsley) basil, squash, asparagus, corn, green onion, pine nuts, pecorino, mozzarella, and gorgonzola, plus some prosciutto and copa. It was good!!
    You guys should stop putting the basilic in the oven. You are just ruining it. Cook the pizza, then put the basilic on top of the pizza. It makes a huge difference when the basilic is still fresh. Pesto is ok because it doesn't dry as fast but I still prefer putting the fresh pesto after the cooking.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    You guys should stop putting the basilic in the oven. You are just ruining it. Cook the pizza, then put the basilic on top of the pizza. It makes a huge difference when the basilic is still fresh. Pesto is ok because it doesn't dry as fast but I still prefer putting the fresh pesto after the cooking.
    I actually do both methods and so do many pizzerias. If you tuck the basil under the cheese, or push it into the tomatoes it doesn't get incinerated. I get what you're saying though, basil can get really dried out and crappy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks, we both agreed this one was good enough to sell. The thin squash bakes perfectly. Maybe we need a food cart!!
    Truck. Serve slices continuously from a wood fired mobile rig. Baked ziti, flat bread, parmesian crisps........

I wanted to do this for ages only three days per week. Gotta have play time ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    I found that the pizza is easiest to handle if you use parchment paper. I roll out the dough and build the pizza on parchment, cut the parchment with a little to spare around the crust, and slide the whole thing onto my peel, and then onto the preheated stone. I use flour on the parchment paper when I roll the dough so the dough doesn't stick. You can remove the parchment after the pizza cooks a bit, or just leave it.
    Perfect. I stack mine with parchment paper. Than slide them onto the peel and build directly on the peel. I dont like them to sit with ingrediants too long or moisture invades the dough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I roll my dough on a well floured granite pastry stone and then slide the dough on a peel loaded with semolina where I build the pizza before sliding it in the oven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one was really tasty... pesto, squash, Brussels sprouts and Swiss chard, Roquefort, mozzarella, parm, prosciutto (on my half). Still need to get a pizza steel... The sprouts were surprisingly tasty!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work Shino.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have been cooking pizzas on a piece of steel. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 3 little nieces are coming tomorrow. I'm making dough for the occasion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The flower garden is in the best shape that it's ever been in. Perhaps it is the rain or the fact that we were able to get a jump on mulching and weeding, who knows. What I do know is that it leaves more time for grilling pizza and for drinking wine...even on a Monday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have this living thing down. Solid.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ when we built the home in '99, we knew that eventually we'd be the family hub so to speak as everybody's parents were getting older. Focus on the kitchen, family room, guest room, yard, outdoor living and the eventual re-sale were the six key design elements. Just give me notice if any of you are headed to Pittsburgh and I'll gladly host a cookout and a ride. Just like Motel 6...we'll leave the light on for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my favorite thing as of late, is green sauce instead of red.

that's right: new mexico green chile salsa instead of the old tomato ragu.

i made one last night with whole milk skim mozz, copious green onions, fresh garlic, prosciutto, arugula.

SO GOOD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday nite ritual is to saute up some Rapini and red peppers add cheese andred onions and make a pizza on stonefire brand pizza crust in the oven with a glass of red burgundy. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pizzas on the grill last eve. with a bud. November is so mild here it seemed a proper waste of mother nature NOT to drink beers in the driveway and do our worst amiright?

We made a couple real nice pies and the second was a red sauce, bacon, arugala, fresh mozzerella job that absolutely killed (no pics). The point of this was to give my recipe for a easy red sauce which may be related to crack...here goes.

Too Tall Red Sauce
    1. Use a tight cast iron pan (eg just large enough to contain the results not more not less)
    2. rough cut any small tomato and add to cast iron pan with a generous drizzle of VERY good EVO, salt / pepper.
    3. season with oregano and red pepper flakes
    4. add a few smashed not diced garlic ontop of the pile, drizzle with a little more EVO and do not stir.
    5. cook on a low simmer until reduced than go ahead and stir and continue reducing very gently.
    6. it is done just before all liquid disappears.

This is a slightly picante saunce with a strong flavor best spread thin on pizza dough or used for smearing on crusty bread for table treats OR awesome sandwhiches. Meter the pepper flakes according to the audience.

This kills and it makes itself, almost too easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Pizzas on the grill last eve. with a bud. November is so mild here it seemed a proper waste of mother nature NOT to drink beers in the driveway and do our worst amiright?
    We did the same.

We made the dough the night before since we were having 20 or so friends over for a pizza party. We used canned sauce that left much to be desired since we are pizza noobs and didn't know what we were looking for and were short on time and an array of other excuses....

We set up all of the toppings like a buffet and our guests could prepare their own pizza while the last one was cooking. Was good for drinks and allowed us to have our single friends over even though my wife is weeks away from the baby pop.

pizza.jpg

It was a huge success.... 3 or 4 hours of cook time between the 7-9 pizzas we had. Some people were a little carried away with toppings, so they never really cooked but it was a blast.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo, FYI, the best (canned) sauce ATMO is a decent can of whole peeled tomatos strained, maybe a garlic clove, salt, pepper olive oil into the blender. instant, fresh, perfect.
    pizza parties do rule! such a fun evening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys suck. I'm trying to get back into shape after a few weeks of R&R and I now have a nasty hankering for some pizza.