Thread: Home style pizza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home style pizza

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Best weird pizza I've had is one made by this pizzaiolo in the town near Lucca where we rented a villa - gorgonzola dolce and pear. A blinding hot oven and see-thru thin slices of pear that fast caramelized in the gorgonzola with a coating of ancient parmesan - whoosh.
    Interesting. I occasionally make one very similar to that, my wife loves it, only real change is that i slice up some walnuts and put them on as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooni Volt arrived this week. Their first electric pizza oven- and it has top and bottom heating elements.
    The gas fired one we have is great for Neapolitan pies but I want to do more experimenting with NY/New Haven etc versions.

My wife has our holiday menu mapped out to the last ingredient so it’ll probably be the 27th before our first cook.

Only splurged because a little money came our way from my folks and they demanded that my wife and I use a little for fun instead of socking it all into the college fund as I typically do in these instances. (I may or may not have also ordered a soft top surfboard…)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple is better. I've played with all sorts of things when creating pizzas. A new new new (think shouting dragstrip announcer) favorite to replace sauce is basically roasted eggplant/onion/garlic minced and made up with some EVO.

Enter the simple pizza :) Both are oven pizzas, so no spectacular jaguar spots. These are simple pies made on the go for a quick dinner.

Shitake mushrooms lightly sauted in salted butter with EVO base, asiago/mozzarella cheese with a pepper grind or three. Absolutely wonderful, uncomplicated and goes with a cold beer. The other pie is topped with pan roasted brussel sprouts in salted butter and a dash of EVO than chopped and cooled. Just a thin splash of EVO for the sauce and topped with curls of the king of cheese (Parm. Reggiano). A good name for this one would be "Gone in 60 seconds".

Keep it simple yo.

1pizza.jpg
    2pizza.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Ooni Volt arrived this week. Their first electric pizza oven- and it has top and bottom heating elements.
    The gas fired one we have is great for Neapolitan pies but I want to do more experimenting with NY/New Haven etc versions.

My wife has our holiday menu mapped out to the last ingredient so it’ll probably be the 27th before our first cook.

Only splurged because a little money came our way from my folks and they demanded that my wife and I use a little for fun instead of socking it all into the college fund as I typically do in these instances. (I may or may not have also ordered a soft top surfboard…)
    First pies with the Volt the other night and this thing is legit. I used Beddia’s ~30 hour proof dough recipe and they came out perfect. I will measure the dough balls next time and toss them a little thinner, but the crust came out airy and chewy and the right amount of baked on the base plus crisp on the toppings.

You can still do Neapolitans with it at 850 but my NJ-raised heart wants what it wants.

Anyone in the DC area who wants a crack at my gas fired Ooni is welcome to it for a very low price before my wife throws it to the Facebook marketplace wolves.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 12-29-2023 at 07:16 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrapped up 2023 with a couple pies last night. Mozzarella & Fontina on the first one, and the 2nd was shiitake mushrooms + pepperoni + jalpenos on my half.

In a rush while grocery shopping I didn't bother to ask "what does Arrabbiata mean?" And it turns out it means spicy. So the kiddo wouldn't eat it, and wife ate it but didn't like it. I thought it was great though! But I won't be buying the spicy sauce again lol.

I've got six more dough balls in the freezer, very interested in seeing how those turn out, I've never tried freezing dough before. Basically I just mixed up a whole bag of flour at once.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frozen doughballs are THE WAY TO GO PEOPLE!! Makes it so easy for weeknight pizza.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I often freeze one or two after pizza night and they turn out fine if you thaw them out on the counter rather than using a microwave or dipping the ziploc in warm water to accelerate the process. As you say, great for a weeknight pizza. I have also snuck them in amongst fresh dough while serving a bigger crowd and it’s hard to tell the difference once you get everything going.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I took this one out of the freezer last night, stuck it in the fridge, and then put it on the counter tonight for about an hour before stretching it out and making the pie. Worked great!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A local bakery that makes fantastic bread (flour, yeast, salt in a coal-fired oven that they say hasn't cooled since sometime in the 1940s) sells frozen pizza dough. I buy a half a dozen or so and three or four days ahead I stick one in the bottom of the fridge to thaw. A few hours before baking it sits in a bowl on the counter. I think the long time in the fridge really makes it come out great.
    Tom Ambros