Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home style pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    R.W. you had me at olives on the pie.

Sometimes you just have to say no to red sauce. What's your line?

This is the eggplant base I use most often.

1. Peel and slice eggplant pinky finger thick. Place not touching on a cookie sheet lightly oiled with EVO. No need to brush the eggplant with anything. Toss a few onions ontop for good measure.
    2. Season the eggplant generously on one side with salt/pepper/oregano.
    3. Cut the top off an entire hand of garlic exposing the tips of each clove. Add this to the pan, trust me.
    4. Bake all in a 400F oven until the eggplant starts to burn.
    5. Allow to cool than place the eggplant and onions on a cutting board.
    6. Squeeze the garlic out of the hand like toothpaste. Too much is just enough. Baking makes it mild tasting.
    7. Rough chop all, season with salt and course pepper to taste. Maybe some chili flakes.

Smear this mixture on your pie for a base. Goes great with meats and strong cheese.

What cha' got?
    Josh
    For no red sauce try this.

Heavy cream, scallions, chopped garlic, crushed red pepper, and basil leaves. Combine and use an immersion blender for as short a time as possible (you do not want to whip the cream). It’ll last that night and then for a week after.

Add any other green herbs on hand.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a pin work its way loose and the fix was simple. Talked to a rep at KA and they gave good advice and the machine was back to work in a week. For more serious issues, they do make it convenient to send a machine back to the shop.

https://producthelp.kitchenaid.com/C...Repair_Options
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My KA stand mixer broke not that long after I got it. I brought it back to the store where I got it without a receipt. The employees were so taken aback that one had broken that I walked out with a new one in about 10 minutes. That doesn't help at all but RW already did.

Still no used Oonis on CL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a Dill Pickle Pizza?! Hey, it wasn't my idea; I just followed the recipe! Alfredo sauce, dill pickle slices, topped with mozzarella. Could probably use some meat i.e., crispy bacon or prosciutto.

Pizza - 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best dough yet. Naples style 60% moisture. Nice and airy at the crusts.
    Dried fennel sausage shaved 1/8” on the mandoline.

Last edited by robin3mj; 01-08-2022 at 09:27 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a pizza night in Pittsburgh.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All these pizzas look great!

Looked back through the thread and I didn't see anything like our (outdoor) setup so I'll share.

We use firebrick to set up a pseudo-oven, supporting the roof with bedframe cut to length and painted with hi-temp silver. I had an aluminum turkey pan filled with insulation, taped shut, that I set on top to take up volume but my wife left it out in the rain. I'll make another in the spring.

pizza_grill.jpg

Yeah, it does look grubby.

There's a brick wall in the back and the front bricks are cut on a diagonal for the lid. The pizza stone doesn't go all the way to the back so heat travels up. I remove the so-called "Flavorizer" deflectors from above the burners and preheat with the stone on top of the roof. Hits around 700.

I had considered making a "real" pizza oven but this works well, uses less space, and left more time for biking.

Joel Danke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few Pie's from the last 30day's or so. I've been baking one loaf of poolish or biga a week and saving the rest for Pizza Dough. The results are fantastic.

Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That last one looks perfect.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had two couples of college buds over tonight and the pizzas were decent.
    The house was pretty chilly all day and so the dough didn’t rise as much as I’d prefer.
    My pie (pictured) had the biggest air bubble of the night but still not airy enough overall. Also made a yeast free pie for one attendee (flour and baking powder basically) and she was happy with it.

There’s a newish place called Andy’s around here that has won many awards. It’s solid NY/NJ style pizza but at this stage I much prefer our own. We do order the occasional Dominos for the kids when we can’t be bothered.

Last edited by robin3mj; 04-09-2022 at 10:40 PM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overnight ferment and now in the fridge for the proof. I’ll either fire up the Pizza Kettle tonight or tomorrow…wish me luck.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pics because we ate it before thinking of immortalizing it. It was pretty, though. Sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, pepperoncini on a foundation of local products. Cappiello mozzerella over Casa Viscous sauce and Perrecca's dough.

Perrecca's sells one pound frozen bags of dough, you go to their deli and buy a half a dozen and while you're there get one of their muffalletas. On their bread, oh my. You take the dough out of the freezer and put it in the fridge three or four days ahead of making the pie, put it in a bowl covered by the bag it came in about three hours before stretching and cooking. I know it is cheating but there's no way I'm making a crust that good.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice way to start the weekend.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdanke View Post
    All these pizzas look great!

Looked back through the thread and I didn't see anything like our (outdoor) setup so I'll share.

We use firebrick to set up a pseudo-oven, supporting the roof with bedframe cut to length and painted with hi-temp silver. I had an aluminum turkey pan filled with insulation, taped shut, that I set on top to take up volume but my wife left it out in the rain. I'll make another in the spring.

pizza_grill.jpg

Yeah, it does look grubby.

There's a brick wall in the back and the front bricks are cut on a diagonal for the lid. The pizza stone doesn't go all the way to the back so heat travels up. I remove the so-called "Flavorizer" deflectors from above the burners and preheat with the stone on top of the roof. Hits around 700.

I had considered making a "real" pizza oven but this works well, uses less space, and left more time for biking.
    My wife got me one of the commercial ones like that - sits on my gas grill. There are pictures in here somewhere I think. The only thing I would improve is that it only fits one pizza and I’m about 2” short of fitting 2 of them on my grill - yours looks like you could squeeze a couple in.

Works well though and for the amount we use it as much as I’d like a stand-alone oven it wouldn’t get used enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got an Ooni for Christmas, finally got around to getting a propane tank and cooked our first couple of pies tonight. Great success! Next time I'll plan ahead better and do sourdough.

First one got a little too hot.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got up and made some 60% hydration Roman style dough yesterday morning only to find that we were having ham, so a 30-hour proof was in the cards for tonight. Well worth it. Maybe the best dough we’ve had since getting the pizza oven.

Looking good, Dustin. I find that running the oven full blast for 20 mins before the first pie, and then turning flames down to low once the pie is on the stone, helps avoid charring too much. You’ve got some nice leopard spots on the rear pie.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we've been cooking pizza's in a ooni for about 3 years now.

Most of the dough recipes we use are Ken Forkish recipes. This is a sourdough.

This new red pizza is a take on a pop up here in Portland (St. Johns actually) that is money. It is read sauce, thyme, pecorino and chopped garlic. So simple and the cheese here really stands out if you add just the right amount of sauce.

The other is a mitoki mushroom leek in a light garlic sauce. Chopped green onion for the win.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poolish dough from Ken Forkish, I keep it in the freezer till we want pizza. take it and put it the fridge before I go to work, let it rest on the counter till things are chopped and heated up. Lodge cast Iron Griddle/Pizza stone at 500* for about 10 minutes. Tonight we had mushrooms, prosciutto, pine nuts, sundried tomatoes, and goat cheese. Parmesan and Parsley to finish with a drizzle of good Olive Oil. Think I'll ramp the heat up next time by 25* or so till I find the sweet spot. We just upgraded the Appliances so it 's still a learning process.

Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had the opportunity to have a pie made by Ken once.

My wife has been a fan ever since. Was glad to see he was able to retire recently and start enjoying some of his hard earned success.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best pizza that I’ve ever had was in Ken’s…made me a fan of his methods, dough, bread and of course pizza. I’ve never been to his bakery.
    rw saunders