Thread: Home style pizza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home style pizza

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Homemade mozz is not very difficult, but is time consuming and needs close temperature monitoring. For the right occasion, it is worth doing.
    I love making things from scratch, and I keep meaning to get around to cheese.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your shopping list:

Animal rennet
    Citric Acid
    A good quality digital thermometer that is accurate in the mid-100 degree F range. I got one with a remote probe, so the whole thing would not fall into the pot of milk
    Cheesecloth.

Spend more money on better milk once you have your technique nailed down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my .02:

If you are using a stone parchment paper makes the whole building, inserting and removing process a no brainer. I also use a thin aluminum peel. This works well to 500 F, but no idea how the paper will hold up beyond this.

Sauce. La Valle (or similar) hand peeled italian plum tomatoes with basil. Nuke them in the food processor for a few seconds. Sauce is done. Light and refreshing. It will make you like red sauce again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine emailed me this link the other day,

Pizza Oven Kits for Kettle Grills | Outdoor Pizza Oven | Wood-fired Pizza Oven | KettlePizza

Wood fired pizza oven in a Weber Kettle. 700º in a kettle!

I am tempted to try it.

I think his searching for something was a result of the astounding pizza that Big Matt cooked at our weekend of debauchery a couple of weeks ago. Grilled pears, Gorgonzola, Pancetta .... Oh my goodness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just cooked this tonight:
    The Lucky Penny: The BEST Cauliflower Crust Pizza!

I used Mild Cheddar instead of Mozzarella (I have Crohn's, and have read to stay away from Mozz). My pizza was about 8 inches in diameter. I ended up with about 2 1/4 cups of broccoli, and did add the almond flour. I also bought garlic salt (oops). I'm thinking if the crust was thinner, and the pizza larger...the dough might have been more cooked (mine was slightly undercooked in the center. I also only let my pizza stone heat up for about 10-15 minutes). I did cook the crust 13.5 minutes, and did 12 minutes with my toppings (mild cheddar, tomato sauce, green peppers, and onions). Great recipe, I'd give my first attempt 6/10. Will be better next time!

AFF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well allrighty. You made me read the recipe and call me convinced. The next time I have someone in my house who is gluten intolerant this will get made.

Quote Originally Posted by afrizzledfry View Post
    Just cooked this tonight:
    The Lucky Penny: The BEST Cauliflower Crust Pizza!

I used Mild Cheddar instead of Mozzarella (I have Crohn's, and have read to stay away from Mozz). My pizza was about 8 inches in diameter. I ended up with about 2 1/4 cups of broccoli, and did add the almond flour. I also bought garlic salt (oops). I'm thinking if the crust was thinner, and the pizza larger...the dough might have been more cooked (mine was slightly undercooked in the center. I also only let my pizza stone heat up for about 10-15 minutes). I did cook the crust 13.5 minutes, and did 12 minutes with my toppings (mild cheddar, tomato sauce, green peppers, and onions). Great recipe, I'd give my first attempt 6/10. Will be better next time!

AFF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feta, brussel sprouts, olive oil, bacon, arugula----- on the grill less than an hour ago... Holy shit! Sitting with my gals inside, Dog can take me now. I'm done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our pie last night had spam and pineapple on it. Pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious question, what is the Hawaiian love affair with Spam? When i was a kid it was something you had 2 cans of in the back of the cupboard in case of the apocolypse. When we watch food shows about Hawaii, there is always a segment on spam.

Enlighten me, oh great one.!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Serious question, what is the Hawaiian love affair with Spam? When i was a kid it was something you had 2 cans of in the back of the cupboard in case of the apocolypse. When we watch food shows about Hawaii, there is always a segment on spam.

Enlighten me, oh great one.!

It goes great with pineapple and cheese
    ...what else you need to know? My understanding is that the US Military introduced Spam to the islands when we took over and that the locals has loved it since. Probably has to do with being a cheap source of meat-ish protein as pasture is limited there and importation from anywhere is expensive. Economics meets Gastronomics.

but whadda i know?

ALSO, WRT pizzas

Anybody cook in an adobe/earthen oven? I think that'll be my ultimate pizza oven when i make one. Works like this: build a big fire, let it burn down, rake the fire out or coals to one side, then make pizzas and bread on the residual heat stored up in the thermal mass. I understand that this set up provides several hours of cooking time. That'll be my first cob project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something else I learned a few years ago. If all you have is dry pre shredded store mozzarella, fluff it in a few table spoons of olive oil 10 min before spreading. It completly changes the texture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was just reading earlier comments about the dough sticking to peel. Try semolina. I don't like the coarseness of cornmeal and semolina slides better than flour imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    Was just reading earlier comments about the dough sticking to peel. Try semolina. I don't like the coarseness of cornmeal and semolina slides better than flour imho.
    I second this. No floury taste and doesn't taste burned like cornmeal. You need a bag around for your homemade pata anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We did a little pizza party last night with the family of one of Mrs. Haole's colleagues. We made multiple pies, wifey did up multiple crusts and a bunch of toppings and the kids ( think grade 7 and grade 9 age, roughly) did all the assembly. I cooked them on the stone and cut and served. The kids were either super polite (good chance of this, they are nice kids) or really enjoyed the assembly. We did a slight pre bake on the crusts to make them easier to handle and slide off the peel and on to the stone, which seemed to help matters a lot...it greatly streamlined the process. Next time, less pre bake, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

way to cheat on the dough: find a Trader Joes and check out their chiller- they normally have plain, honey wheat and garlic herb.

another way to cheat: find out if your local Italian deli does daily fresh dough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slowSSer View Post
    way to cheat on the dough: find a Trader Joes and check out their chiller- they normally have plain, honey wheat and garlic herb.

another way to cheat: find out if your local Italian deli does daily fresh dough.
    Our local grocery chain does fresh dough and its pretty decent for when you want to make some fun pies for the kids. Hell, for them its just uncooked bread. Nice margin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got no Trader Joes here and an Italian deli...I would not even know where to start. It does not take long to mix dough and no need to get in the car to make dough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"local", "Italian", Boy that really smarts. Guess we will just make our own. Color me jealous, kinda...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, this is no bad idea for those jammed up in a city with no time to spare,

spare for the tactile and aromatic joys that working up a yeastie bread generally is.

but is not the general idea of this section-where we do like tips and tricks, but also mostly enjoy being

Elbow Deep in the process.

cheers

(hell i'm still trying to find non-instant masa)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post

Take the dough, thin out to your desired thickness (i usually go 1/4" or so), put on sheet pan/stone whatever, take directly to the grill. Place dough over direct heat for about 5 minutes or so.. When the bottom of the crust looks almost done, remove from the grill.. Grilled side up.

You should be putting your toppings on what was the bottom side, now turned upside down.

When you have your toppings on, put back on the grill until it is done.
    RHR, your description is convincing and I'm going to try this. How hot should the grill be?