Thread: Home style pizza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home style pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    i have an old weber kettle that is pretty much inoperable now because the lower vent is frozen and broken. just bought a weber smokey joe.

as for the old worn out kettle...
    going to cut an opening in one side of the lid, and a hole in the bottom so i can prop it on my big propane burner. will try to scheme some kind of brick or stone arrangement that blocks all of the heat from the top except a small section to the rear. plan is the heat will scoot over the pizza pie as it exits the front opening and i end up with cooked pizza in something like two minutes...
    This is going to be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

made some dough and tried out the weber grille. last weekend i just cut a large hole in the bottom so i can set hte grille on my propane burner.
    cut a hole in the lid as well, busted some bricks into the shape pictured because i don't think they make a pizza stone for this specific purpose anymore.

i have a large aluminum lid for a pot i used to boil water for brewing beer, i'm going to bolt that lid to the bottom of the webber lid and see if i can get a little more heat on the pie. the hole i cut in the lid might be a little too large. oh well.
    also i had a large paver stone on the lower grate and i think it was too much mass, going to remove that one and just let the flame blast the stone on the upper grate.
    the temp in the grille where the pizza was only got to about 550f.

the first pie, underdone but still ok, i think all the stone in the grille was way undertemp (i preheated for 30 mins at a medium flame).
    the green chili's were already roasted and i saute'd the onion before cooking the pie.

the third pie, pretty damn good but it took ~12 mins. need more heat. but the char on this pie really made the dough flavor come around. way less boring than the first...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey slick that's neat. How about you insulate the dome and call it a day? Gut feeling is you are almost there, just need to keep the heat in place.

I swear to the stars my BGE could make the best grilled pizzas if and only if there was a better way to insert/remove the pie. Heat changes during those two operations is a big fat fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eliminate the hole in the roof and cut a pie access hole in the side of the lid. Briquettes by their lonesome never get me there temperaturewise, as I need to supplement them with some lump charcoal and sometimes a nice hunk of hardwood. Pies are looking good. Are you using refractory brick?
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's just regular brick. i'm thinking removing the large paver stone that was on the lower grate will get the temp up enough.
    i already have the large aluminum lid and it even has a hole in the center of the lid already, going to attached that to the bottom of the weber lid and see what i get. there is already a pie access hole cut in the weber lid.

i'm not using charcoal, using a propane burner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to remind our Sainted Vsalon pizza wh#res that this whole wheat recipe is da bomba. Made it again last night. Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Look no further than the King Arthur recipe. I let it rise for 2 hrs. than made this test run, baked at 500F for 7 mins. on a 1/4" plate steel. This is my new favorite pizza dough. Texture is full of air, a little chewy.

Attachment 98365
    Attachment 98366
    Attachment 98367
    Attachment 98368

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pretty basic pizza dinner before the Ohio State/Oklahoma game...pepperoni for my son and I and a margarheta/pesto variation for Mrs. RW...and I. Garden salad with heirloom tomatoes and a nice Pinot Noir from J Vineyards to round things out.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winner winner pizza dinner. Good work RW.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still working on pizza. Making my own dough now, after doing some bread baking I was ready to try pizza dough.

Attempt #1 was with bread flour, and it was great. Would have been better if I cooked it on a higher heat grill instead of the oven, but the crust was super airy, soft, and bready, which I like.

Last night I cooked two with a 50% whole wheat dough. It was okay, but it didn't rise like the bread flour dough did. I'm going to try adding some of that 'vital gluten' mentioned earlier in the thread.

Mixed up the dough, let it rise for 1.5hrs, divided, shaped into balls, and into the fridge until the next night. Let sit at room temp for a little over an hour to warm up. Shaped really easily, got it thin without worrying about tearing it. Rolled it a bit and stretched by hand.

We did two. Pie #1 was the wife's idea, Flying Bat Pizza for Halloween. I'm not crazy about the flavors in this one. Pie #2 was a simple traditional pie, sauce, cheese, some basil leaves, Mediterranean-Ish seasoning from Dizzy Pig, and a little olive oil. SO GOOD. The DP seasoning will make your house smell AMAZING.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff D.G. You'll be happier using the Vital Gluten. Was this using white whole wheat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a 50/50 blend of whole wheat (not white whole wheat, the brown type) and bread flour, at 70% hydration. I wonder what would happen if I used all-purpose instead of bread flour. Or increased the hydration. Or.........
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    It was a 50/50 blend of whole wheat (not white whole wheat, the brown type) and bread flour, at 70% hydration. I wonder what would happen if I used all-purpose instead of bread flour. Or increased the hydration. Or.........
    Give the White Whole Wheat a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use 1 part whole wheat to two parts white flour. And I put the basil on under the sauce and/or sprinkled on the pie as soon as it comes out of the oven. I'm sad that all my outdoor basil plants died with the change of weather. I'm going to plant on inside.

I made a just picked chanterelle pie this past weekend and it was to die for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    And I put the basil on under the sauce and/or sprinkled on the pie as soon as it comes out of the oven.
    "Hiding" the basil between the sauce and the toppings is my favorite method...the heat cooks the basil flavor into the pizza, but doesn't burn the leaves. I have also started rough chopping the basil when doing this method...the visual of the leaves doesn't matter if they're buried, and I figure it may help release the juices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll try it, but I was surprised at how much I liked the crunchy (burnt) leaves.

Great thing about pizza is that, even if it's not great, it's still pretty good!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing to try with basil is to lightly coat the leaves and put on top before baking. When I do this on say, baked risotto, the leaves don't burn, but come out a bit crispy. It's kind of like deep-frying sage leaves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I meant 'coat the leaves with light olive oil'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 kilo 00 flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 pack yeast
    2 1/2 c warm water

What am I? Answer: about 5 pizzas

Anywho we never show the "before" pizzas do we? This is trash pizza. Whatever is kicking around the 'fridge. I made dough a few days ago so there is never a reason not to have pizza ;)

Left over BBQ chicken legs
    Onion
    Satuted Broccoli
    Arugala
    (Mystery cheese)
    Olive Oil
    Salt

The dough is stretched very thin and left to warm for one hr. so we get lots of bubble action.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    ...This is trash pizza...
    No sir. This is trash pizza. Had a bit of an issue...dough stuck to my peel. Sad face. We still ate half of it. Had to clean cheese and veggies out of the bottom of the oven the next day.

Pizza pro tip :: always cook two. That way at least one of them is likely going to be edible haha.

Also, new dough recipe on these, 10% whole wheat. Turned out great.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna go back to using just bread flour in my dough. Seems anything else you add, even as little as 10% really inhibits the rise. That said, these were good. 10% dark rye flour.

Using some left over pulled pork. Forgot to pick up some pineapple chunks though.

Veggie. Lotsa mushrooms under the cheese.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com