User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bottom Bracket fittings for Jig: Material/Steel suggestion & Machinist needed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bottom Bracket fittings for Jig: Material/Steel suggestion & Machinist needed!

Hello!
    I have been using an 80/20 picture frame jig (Image attached for reference) for the last couple years. I was lucky enough to meet a super nice guy/ bamboo frame builder over the web when I started building who was able to machine some alloy fittings for my jig.
    Well one of the aluminum BB fittings finally gave in to my brazing. In reality I am not too disappointed because those fittings were heat sinks and it would take FOREVER to get the BB up to temp.
    I am looking to get recommendations on what material (steel?) to use for the next set of fittings.

Also if anyone is a machinist (or just has a lathe!) and wants to make some extra Christmas money please let me know.

I need 2 fittings to the specs: (diagrams/drawings attached)

I can drill and tap if someone can turn the material.

shapeimage_2.png
    shapeimage_3.png
    IMG_3972.jpg
    Thanks all!

Travis
    www.thinairframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bottom Bracket fittings for Jig: Material/Steel suggestion & Machinist needed!

Alex Meade <alexdmeade@gmail.com>

He's doing a project for me currently. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bottom Bracket fittings for Jig: Material/Steel suggestion & Machinist needed!

I could do them for you. I'm not sure what materials I have on hand but I think I have 1045 or 303 stainless I would have to check when I get back to the shop on Monday. Can you email scanned copies of the prints?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the quick replies. Todd, thank you so much for the offer, I will email you the specs.

Anybody have a strong opinion on which one would be best: 1045 or 303 stainless?

I don't have enough knowledge as to which one would be better for this application. (I have a feeling the 1045 might be a tad easier on the lathe?)

Thanks everyone.
    Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't attach the drawing/image to an email for Todd. I have uploaded to this post. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travis the 303 stainless cannot be heat treated its an easy to machine stainless which is nice both machine about the same. The only advantage I could see is if you wanted to heat treat the fittings for wear resistance. Just by themselves they are pretty close to the same hardness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a set of those, they are very handy for grabbing BB shells to do anything to them - polishing, lug carving, stamping serial #'s, drilling vent holes.
    I would think you could sell some, they would be really handy - mine are regular old steel and have been around sine the 70's no problem - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to let everyone know that Todd was amazing to work with. His communication was exceptional and the finished product was better than I expected. If you ever need anything machined I highly recommend him. Thanks again Todd! In fact I am going to see if he will make me a BB post for my alignment table.

BB post.jpgBB post 2.jpg