Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Beware ebay/paypal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beware ebay/paypal

I recall we've discussed this here before, but here's an excellent write up on how ebay scams for high end items work:
    Thinking of selling on eBay with Paypal? Think again! - CodeNerdz

Some good info in the comments as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if they are any better, but Dwolla's has a very reasonable flat fee scheme. Only takes a few minutes to sign up.

Although every time I offer Dwolla as an option, no one takes it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Beware ebay/paypal

I haven't heard anything bad about Dwolla, but very few people use it unfortunately. I think it'll be a long long time before paypal's dominant position is affected. It is awfully convenient for the buyer in most occasions. I avoid ebay as much as I can, don't even remember last time I used it. I'll post on a local email list, or on craigslist or on a related forums such as VS, where at least people have a posting history that gives you a clue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more ebay for me. All the protection favors buyers. I had a fuckwad buyer pull the "doesn't fit description" BS on me. He wanted my original receipt for the item so he could make a warranty claim (on a perfectly good item) posing as the original owner. I said no effing way and he opened a claim. Ebay ruled in his favor, but he didn't return the item within 10 days, so I got to keep the $$. He could have easily sent back an empty box and I woulda been screwed. I had always had good luck with ebay, but since then I'm done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once got a defective item sent to me. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. Thing is the seller never refunded me for the one I sent back, and claimed they never got it back. I was naive and believe they had not received it. I listened to them when they said I should wait and see if they receive the item so they can process my refund. All they were doing is waiting for my ability to file a claim or leave negative feedback expired. Did not hear from them every again. You can get screwed as a buyer or a seller.

I go with my gut on online purchases and frankly wouldn't buy too expensive of an item online unless I were meeting the person to pick it up or something along those lines. I mean, you can get swindled face to face too.