Quote Originally Posted by Ignignokt View Post
The prints were magical...that's something that you have a hard time conveying to digital gurus, just how amazing large prints from big film can be. I've yet to see that kind of quality from digital, it's been a couple years since I've checked anything out for art photography in galleries/museums and maybe it's gotten a lot better but the museum quality stuff I made all digitally wasn't up to analog printing from big film.

I'll make the same deal with you that I made with Nick Nixon, Frank Gohlke and Abe Morell:
Give me a negative and a print. I'll match it digitally and fool you (behind glass).

I'm 3 for 3 right now.

I just saw Koudelka's show at the Getty. There's gelatin silver from the past 30 years and a few new digital prints (36x100"). The dig prints are sharper and have better tonal separation.

Abe's newest work is shot with a Leaf Aptus mf back (65 megapix IIRC) and printed with the Epson 79/9900 series. They look better than c-prints.

----

You're in VT. Check out Cone Editions in East Topsham. He'll blow your mind with b/w prints.