Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Waterproof steel toed Chippewas are not made really well anymore, they haven't been for about 10 years. I bought a pair from the Working Person Store, and something was wrong with the heel and sole that made both creaked as I walked, and there was a lump under one
    of the footbeds, then I discovered they were made in China, so I sent them back and ordered a pair of waterproof insulated Carolina's with the carbon fiber toe which is far better than the steel toe. In snow the steel toe will radiate the cold onto your feet, the CF toe doesn't do that. The Carolina was also made in China but with much better quality control. I've had those Carolinas for 10 years and they're still good to go for about another 5 years, maybe longer? I only wear them in the winter obviously, but they are not as slippery on ice as other shoes I've had, still slippery but not as slippery. While Carolina does offer a resole and reconditioning program but I found the prices to do that were almost the same as buying a new pair, so when mine do wear out I will get another new pair but this time without the CF toe, both the steel and CF toes make the boots too heavy and I don't need the reinforced toe. And the leather tops are still in great condition after all those years and being exposed to water, snow and mud, and I've never treated the leather with anything.

Also about 13 years ago I bought a pair of Red Wings...never again! They only lasted 3 years and the soles were worn out as was the footbed. Plus after I got the Carolinas I discovered that the Carolinas were far more comfortable for my feet then the Red Wings were, of course everyones feet will be different.
    Good advice on the toe materials. I haven't bought a chainsaw yet, so not an issue. But it seems like no one except pro-tree cutter guys wear steel toed boots any more. Some just wear what look like hiking boots with a protector (see below,) but possibly those have reinforced toes also.

I agree that something has changed at Redwing on fit. I am not sure whose feet my boots were made for, but they are both narrow and wide in weird ways, and the internal structure - toe cap and heel counter - are kind of abusive. Most of the Redwings I've had in the past have taken a while to break-in, but this has been a year and they are still beating up my feet.

Anyway, I basically wear hiking boots all day every day now. A pair of Lowas. Still interested in those Schnee boots for mud season. I have LL Bean boots, but they have very poor traction overall. For what I find that I do on a daily basis - rather than what I imagined I'd be doing - good hiking boots make the most sense. The Lowas are wearing out a bit on the fabric bits, so might look at an all leather pair of Zamberlans next.

Last edited by j44ke; 02-02-2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning to post these for sale in a bit. They were a half size too small for me. I ordered another pair and all is well. Danner makes great boots.

IMG_8326.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone with any experience with the Origin Maine boots?

https://originmaine.com/durable-good...iskey-minilug/

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is y’all’s pick for the Zanc Road32 of boots? I’ve got my Helm Zinds and my Red Wing steel toe. Need something in the middle for when OSHA isn’t around, but need a heavier duty sole.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    What is y’all’s pick for the Zanc Road32 of boots? I’ve got my Helm Zinds and my Red Wing steel toe. Need something in the middle for when OSHA isn’t around, but need a heavier duty sole.
    I'm not sure how many people know about Grant Stone boots and shoes but they are fantastic quality (made in china) and very well priced. The owner's father worked at Alden for many years so the styles and build quality of Grant Stone are similar. They just announced the Brass Boot Crimson Chromexcel $340

You could also go for the original (made in USA) Alden 405 $579 (aka The Indy Boot).

Another good MUSA option that many do not know about is the Byron Boot from Rancourt. $395

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Maybe the 150th Anniversary Blundstone? https://huckberry.com/store/blundsto...ersary-edition

I have a love-hate relationship with my Blundstones. I just need them a bit snugger/narrower, but for the country, they are the perfect shoe. Kick on kick off step in mud or deer dung or bang a toe into something rock hard (like a rock) and wear a nice wool sock don't mind the cuffs of your pants just go outside and feed the birds chop some wood dig a hole.

The 150th Anniversary have a nice color that makes them look a bit dressier at the barn dance.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-12-2021 at 08:23 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Anyway, I basically wear hiking boots all day every day now. A pair of Lowas. Still interested in those Schnee boots for mud season. I have LL Bean boots, but they have very poor traction overall. For what I find that I do on a daily basis - rather than what I imagined I'd be doing - good hiking boots make the most sense. The Lowas are wearing out a bit on the fabric bits, so might look at an all leather pair of Zamberlans next.
    I bought a pair of Zamberlans a few years ago. Similar model the 996 Vioz. I still marvel at them whenever I put them on. There's a sumptin-sumptin that makes walking easier in those boots than with any footwear I've ever had. It's not a subtle difference, it's an odd sort of a scratch-your-head magic.

They have a classic Italian fit, just like Sidi bicycle shoes, and there are other models with alternative profiles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Another good MUSA option that many do not know about is the Byron Boot from Rancourt. $395
    +1 on Rancourt.

I have a pair of the their slip-on mocs and a pair of their boots. Top-notch stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    I bought a pair of Zamberlans a few years ago. Similar model the 996 Vioz. I still marvel at them whenever I put them on. There's a sumptin-sumptin that makes walking easier in those boots than with any footwear I've ever had. It's not a subtle difference, it's an odd sort of a scratch-your-head magic.

They have a classic Italian fit, just like Sidi bicycle shoes, and there are other models with alternative profiles.
    I picked up a pair of Z's two or three years ago as well after buying and returning several pair of Salomons and Merrells. I knew as soon as I put the Zamberlans on they were the ones, even though they were the most expensive boots REI had. They feel like boots! So many hiking boots these days are so light they feel insubstantial. It felt super weird to go from my everyday Redwing moc toes to hiking boots that had less support. The Zs do walk really, really nicely. They are really great boots and I've found them to be pretty waterproof. Great for winter hiking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a set of the copper colored Red Wing Blacksmiths on order. I had hoped to pick them up yesterday at our local Red Wing store but they don't carry that model. They had the Iron Rangers in stock tho, which is built on the same last, so I was able to try them on and I'm glad I did, I usually wear a 10.5 in sneakers and 10 in boots and dress shoes but I needed a size 9 in the Red Wings.

This will be the first pair of boots I've had that are nice to enough to bother taking care of them. Not looking forward to the break in period though haha.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine have yet to agree to the deal we signed when I paid money for them a year or so ago. I gave up, soaked them in Huberd's Shoe Grease and put them in a closet to ferment. In the spring I'll take them out and pound them with a hammer.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

88AA2727-6FE1-4D4B-AD76-6CC2DFB56D69.jpg
    I wear my blacksmiths 2-3 days a week and fit well/broke-in nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine have yet to agree to the deal we signed when I paid money for them a year or so ago. I gave up, soaked them in Huberd's Shoe Grease and put them in a closet to ferment. In the spring I'll take them out and pound them with a hammer.
    The Iron Rangers I tried on were STIFF. Supposedly the Blacksmiths aren’t quite as stiff...

The last leather thing I owned that was supposed to be broken in was a Brooks saddle, I forget the model, one of the narrower “racey” oriented models. I put 1,000 miles on it and it was still stiff as a board when I sold it off.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, it only took a week! They look great. Now to break them in...

(definitely not as stiff as the Iron Rangers FYI)

Last edited by dgaddis; 02-25-2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just picked up:

Helm Lou in Dark Natural

and

Helm Johnson in Burgundy

Much prefer the sole on the Lous, but that burgundy color is so nice in person. Luckily they were on sale...at this point, I could send the Johnson in to get re-soled and still be out less than the cost of them at full retail.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed the other day that Patagonia is offering a boot in their Workwear line. Pretty nice looking boot - buffalo leather - except I am not usually a fan of the all leather sole with just a thin slab of Vibram. At least not on a work boot that is going to get wet and solvent exposure. Still, nice looking.

Women's boot actually looks better. Thicker Vibram slab and good looking shape. They'd sell a ton if they made that boot in women's and men's versions.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the 150th Anniversary Blundstone? https://huckberry.com/store/blundsto...ersary-edition

I have a love-hate relationship with my Blundstones. I just need them a bit snugger/narrower, but for the country, they are the perfect shoe. Kick on kick off step in mud or deer dung or bang a toe into something rock hard (like a rock) and wear a nice wool sock don't mind the cuffs of your pants just go outside and feed the birds chop some wood dig a hole.

The 150th Anniversary have a nice color that makes them look a bit dressier at the barn dance.
    Can’t comment on the 150th anniversary style but I got my first pair of Blundstone when I turned 30 and my second pair for my 39th birthday, so I’d call that a success. Both pair are the Tasmanian version which I think are a little thicker and chunkier. I put a pair of sheepskin insoles in for the winter and swap them out each spring. They serve me well for everything except extreme mud (Bean boots) or technical hiking. Could not even calculate how many miles I’ve walked in these with my dog.

I have super narrow feet and with the wool insoles they’re good. And without, they’re fine unless I’m barefoot or have super thin running socks on.
    Last edited by robin3mj; 02-26-2021 at 12:13 AM.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update. Break in wasn't as bad as I expected. Footbed is stiff but not uncomfortable...if I was on my feet all day it probably would have been though. The only thing that really sucked is how stiff the uppers were, the top of the boot above my ankle was hurting me, but never bad enough for blisters or anything. Picked them up Thurs afternoon, wore them that day and all day Fri and Sat, didn't put them on Sunday (didn't leave the house), and have worn them all week this week (it's Weds morning now). I was up on my feet walking around a good bit on Saturday which helped break them in (my ankles were hurting that night tho). BUT, by Monday night they were no longer actively hurting me LOL. And now they feel great. So less than a week to get them broken in. I have read that this 'copper rough and tough' leather, especially on the Blacksmiths, is easier to break in than some of the other leathers.

The laces were/kinda-still-are a b!tch. They're a wax coated cotton, and the wax coating makes them both stiff and sticky. Getting them tied tight requires pulling with the strength of Zeus. But they do stay tight. I was going to swap them out, but as they break in they're getting easier to deal with, so we'll see.

See that crease above the stitching around the heel - getting that broken in made all the difference in the world.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stock laces had to go. With the wax coating they don't slip through the eyelets easily, making them a bit of a PITA to take on and off since I need to loosen the laces down near the toe. With these paracord laces as soon as you untie them the whole boot is loose. I got these laces, only $10, made in the USA, and should last a nice long time.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I switched to some boot laces with kevlar strands that seem to work well. Not sure how the waxed laces were meant to work, but I couldn't keep them tied.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books