Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Has anyone here worn or even tried on the Bogs Urban Farmer?

I know they're not the most stylish boots ever, but they look really functional for going in and out in the sloppy spring weather. I'm getting tired of pulling on my LaCrosse Alpha Burlys to walk to the mailbox.

Yeah, they are good boots. Sweaty but then they are rubber. They aren't as easily pull on as they look, especially if you are wearing socks. But then they also don't muck off if you step in a hole. However, they were too wide for my foot, especially in the forefoot area, and I gave mine to my fatter footed friend.

These are my favorite boots at the back door:

L.L. Bean. Slip on and off pretty easily, stay on, rubber lasts and the price is good. You can also get them with a few eyelets for lacing, which makes them a bit more snow-worthy. Loosely laced they slip on and off okay. Pull loop helps. But if you don't tie 'em, you fall over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Ankle height Cole Haan. Impulse upgrade when looking for sneakers (I hate sneakers).
    I don't hate sneakers, but I do have a thing for wingtips. Those look nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes my first wingtip in years. Fast becoming my everyday boot.

Sneakers go with shorts for me, both of which are only due to seasonal/ heat related need. I am a pants man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer pants too, but most of the year is shorts weather for me. I still have a pile of boots from my time living farther north, though. They just don't get worn much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any advice on the sizing of redwing moc toes? Just picked up a pair via nordstrom online, and they fit well, just not sure if I might need to size down another half size. My toe is essentially at the end of the moc toe (if you're looking down on the boots, the top level of stitching), and not further past where it rounds out... any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it will depend on the volume of your foot and how the boot wraps. I have a pair of the boots and shoes that are made on the same last- the boots fit great, the shoes stretched out and don't work for me*. In general I would "size down", but I find US sizing pretty useless anyway.

*If anyone needs a pair of broken in 8109 Oxfords in a 9D at a good price, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After report on the Wolverine 1000 mile boots from Nordstrom ( Wolverine '1000 Mile' Boot | Nordstrom )
    These have been in heavy rotation including a three day stint walking all over NYC much of it with a backpack. Wow, they just keep getting better. They are very durable, the soles are high quality and I'm loving how comfortable they are allll daaay long.
    I popped for the Stockton's also after seeing how terrific the 1000 miles were and owing to the fact that guys like me with gargantuan feet must not pass when opportunity knocks. Unfortunately I can't comment much on the Stocktons ( http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/wolverin...n-boot/3366776 ), I've only had them for 6 months and it might take a few years to break them in but so far so good they are insanely well made. Only complaint is no inside pull tabs which is something I think I'll get a local cobbler to add.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I think it will depend on the volume of your foot and how the boot wraps. I have a pair of the boots and shoes that are made on the same last- the boots fit great, the shoes stretched out and don't work for me*. In general I would "size down", but I find US sizing pretty useless anyway.

*If anyone needs a pair of broken in 8109 Oxfords in a 9D at a good price, let me know.
    The rest of the boot fits great, but might be slipping a touch in the heel -- have to walk around the office a bit more.. for reference, my finger is at my toe in this picture:

Untitled by TrickImaging, on Flickr

and these are a 9... maybe the 8.5 might be a little snug to start but will probably break in just right, then...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    The rest of the boot fits great, but might be slipping a touch in the heel -- have to walk around the office a bit more.. for reference, my finger is at my toe in this picture:

and these are a 9... maybe the 8.5 might be a little snug to start but will probably break in just right, then...
    Narrow foot? Some Red Wing models still come in widths. Sometimes a bad fit in the heel is actually because there is too much room on top of the foot. In new boots, this can be because the tongue and the lace area aren't broken in enough to allow snugging the laces properly. Be sure to use whatever prep you are using to protect the boot also on the tongue and lace area to help break-in and soften those so you can use the laces more effectively. Backing the tongue with a pad where the top of the foot transitions into the ankle can help push the heel back into the boot and give you a snugger fit. You can also try a sock with a little extra cushion in the heel or experiment with pads under the heel or to either side. They make gripper inserts for either side of the heel. You just don't want to feel like you are going to lose a toenail. Close is fine but scraping the toenail against the end might be a little tight and will wear out your socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nooch - no way I'd go shorter than that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Nooch - no way I'd go shorter than that!
    Well the good folks at nordstrom offered to send me an 8.5 to try out (expedited 2-day shipping, no less) at no charge and just send back the ones I didn't like. Quite pleased with the service, for sure! (also -- these are on sale for $149.95 right now...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally found boots I'm happy with: palladium baggy leather waterproof model. Been trying for a while to find boots that aren't bulky/heavy but still have tread on the bottom so I can actually use them in the winter, and are wearable with the clothes I wear which basically rules out anything brown, construction-y, or super dressy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    After report on the Wolverine 1000 mile boots from Nordstrom ( Wolverine '1000 Mile' Boot | Nordstrom )
    These have been in heavy rotation including a three day stint walking all over NYC much of it with a backpack. Wow, they just keep getting better. They are very durable, the soles are high quality and I'm loving how comfortable they are allll daaay long.
    I popped for the Stockton's also after seeing how terrific the 1000 miles were and owing to the fact that guys like me with gargantuan feet must not pass when opportunity knocks. Unfortunately I can't comment much on the Stocktons ( Wolverine '1000 Mile - Stockton' Boot | Nordstrom ), I've only had them for 6 months and it might take a few years to break them in but so far so good they are insanely well made. Only complaint is no inside pull tabs which is something I think I'll get a local cobbler to add.

I'm actually looking into the 1000's.. they look sweet.
    Currently using Red Wing Iron Rangers and boy, I've changed these over to my everyday shoes (socks/laces to change up environment/dress setting)
    red-wing-shoes-8113-iron-ranger-hawthorne-muleskinner.jpg

Although I am pretty interested in the Wolverine boots; would you recommend it for all-day use ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like there is more than one 1000 Mile model? These (Wolverine 1000 Krause) sure are nice but spendy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've almost got enough squirreled away in the coffee can to finally order my boots. The original plan was some 1000 Mile boots but now I'm thinking about ordering up a pair of custom Whites semi-dress boots. I've got the leather picked out, and will get the lower heel - just trying to decide whether to get the cap-toe or not.

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a year and many long days in a pair of 1000 Miles and they are nothing but awesome. Thanks for the reminder that I need to polish them up for a trip next week though.

2013-11-19 20.46.18.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone comment on Red Wing's various soles, and which would be better suited for a shop wrench that works inside and out at events? From what I gather, cork and leather are out.

Roccio
    Cushion crepe
    Vibram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Can anyone comment on Red Wing's various soles, and which would be better suited for a shop wrench that works inside and out at events? From what I gather, cork and leather are out.

Roccio
    Cushion crepe
    Vibram
    I have vibram soles on a pair of RWs and they are comfortable inside and out in most basic terrain. They would be slippery if I actually went jumping from log to log though. If you are mostly going to be inside on hard surfaces and on grass or pavement - crepe is probably where it's at.

Can't find a photo of the bottom - but it's this color Vibram sole (not sure if the black is harder or any different). http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...tml#post471396
    Last edited by Brandon White; 11-26-2013 at 07:59 AM. Reason: added very very very helpful photo
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. I've worn the 1000 mile boots for three days straight walking all over NYC for instance and for work. They take a nice polish when required. Still impressed how high quality they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by SVMIVRA View Post
    I'm actually looking into the 1000's.. they look sweet.
    Currently using Red Wing Iron Rangers and boy, I've changed these over to my everyday shoes (socks/laces to change up environment/dress setting)

Although I am pretty interested in the Wolverine boots; would you recommend it for all-day use ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I've almost got enough squirreled away in the coffee can to finally order my boots. The original plan was some 1000 Mile boots but now I'm thinking about ordering up a pair of custom Whites semi-dress boots. I've got the leather picked out, and will get the lower heel - just trying to decide whether to get the cap-toe or not.
    Cap toe.