Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

what should I use to polish up some cigar beckmans? wore them all winter through salt & snow & puddles and the boots look like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omnigrid View Post
    what should I use to polish up some cigar beckmans? wore them all winter through salt & snow & puddles and the boots look like it.
    To get the salt stains out; 50/50 mix of water and vinegar, rubbbed on w/ a terrycloth towel then immediately wiped as dry as you can. Repeat a few times. The salt *may* have caused some deforming of the leather...you'll have to see.
    Then my dressing of choice is Pecards Boot Dressing; Pecard - Retail: + Boot Leather Dressings

Pecards; Pecard Leather Care

If you must use shoe polish, I suggest Meltonian cream; Meltonian .com - Fine Shoe Care Products

Just my .02 based on experience and trying lots of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys, I've skimmed the thread and figure I'll ask -- I'm looking for something to go with jeans, preferably less than $200 (budget shopping), to replace my very old, very worn doc marten's. The doc's are on their last leg, even after having them resoled, and are just starting to look like crap -- i think it's time to retire them.

so I work in a casual office, jeans 5 days a week, prefer black boots, and most comfortable with a 6-8 eyelet shaft.. any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a set of Red Wing 875's in black. The uppers will kill you for about two weeks, then they get better every single day after. The crepe soles will make you wonder why all other boots are so hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Docs offered above are gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auk View Post
    Get a set of Red Wing 875's in black. The uppers will kill you for about two weeks, then they get better every single day after. The crepe soles will make you wonder why all other boots are so hard.
    i'd shown my wife a pair that i was looking at (Chippewa 6" Black Odessa Plain Toe Lace Up Black - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways) and she writes back "They look like the ones you have, which I have said aren't my favorite. I want you to get what you want, but I just wish they wouldn't look like combat goth boots." I suppose it's a bit of a narrow perspective, but -- maybe I'm making a mistake sticking with black..

the 875's look nice -- the moc toe at least getting away from the doc marten style..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of boots, what are you guys doing for dress/casual boot maintenance?

For now I clean them with saddle soap and apply Hubbards Shoe Oil.

But that's it... anything else one should do? Should I use a polish instead of oil?

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
    and are just starting to look like crap
    Huh? Can worn boots look like crap?

Also, Goth kids in your neck of the woods must be different if they are wearing Chippewa...

Recently found out that Nordstrom carries a selection of domestically made men's footwear. That seemed interesting as a stand alone product category. I'll stop in tomorrow, and if the foot gods so deem, will leave with happy dogs. We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all,
    i have a redwing and bike fetish - i have these going spare (too small for me)

theyr'e a US size 7 / UK 6
    PM me if interested ( i was looking for $80 US plus postage from the UK) - would probably be around $30/40

cheers J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh -- they're faded, the leather is a little crusty, and my attempts to bring the back to some luster has failed..

also, the resole was horribly botched -- and is separating, so before pouring more money into them for nothing, i figure new boots are the order of the day..

As for the 'goth' boots -- my wife has some interesting perspective on boots, and anything that looks like a doc marten will always be a 'goth' boot to her.. (i just roll my eyes and carry on)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Huh? Can worn boots look like crap?

Also, Goth kids in your neck of the woods must be different if they are wearing Chippewa...

Recently found out that Nordstrom carries a selection of domestically made men's footwear. That seemed interesting as a stand alone product category. I'll stop in tomorrow, and if the foot gods so deem, will leave with happy dogs. We'll see...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There has been some discussion of Danner boots here. I especially liked the looks of the Stumptown collection. They are made in the USA, recraftable, etc.

At least in large sizes there are some very good deals to be had on these boots on Amazon, better than the last round of sales on the Danner clearance site (hitthebreakroom.com) maybe because it is the end of the season. I picked up some Marlows for over 40% off (IIRC $178) though the sizing was strange, and I'm currently exchanging them for a size smaller. Anyway, some are as much as 50% off, so its worth a look. Search for Danner Stumptown on Amazon.

This Mountain Trail is coming up at $160, which is around half off.

Amazon.com: Danner Men's Stumptown Mountain Trail 1851 Boot: Shoes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone here worn or even tried on the Bogs Urban Farmer?

I know they're not the most stylish boots ever, but they look really functional for going in and out in the sloppy spring weather. I'm getting tired of pulling on my LaCrosse Alpha Burlys to walk to the mailbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tretorn strala? strala vinter?

probably on clearance now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonnybiker View Post
    tretorn strala? strala vinter?

probably on clearance now
    Nice. Those definitely look better than the Bogs. Thanks for the recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    HONEY VIBRAM rocks my (outsole) world
    Where are you getting your boot work done, Wade? My closest cobbler is over an hour away and I need to get my Red Wings resoled, so I'm thinking about just sending them to someone who does good work for a set of those honey Vibram soles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geoffk View Post
    boots.JPGNow you've done it. Those are exactly my size. And I have a soft spot for vintage Florsheims ever since mom gave me several pair from grandpa after he died.

...aaand, my "best offer" was just accepted by the seller. Thanks for the tip!
    Not quite a year later, and I've only worn these a half-dozen times (if that) because they're just a smidge too short.

If any salonista is interested in trying them, send me a PM. We'll make a donation to VS.
    Last edited by geoffk; 11-09-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Where are you getting your boot work done, Wade? My closest cobbler is over an hour away and I need to get my Red Wings resoled, so I'm thinking about just sending them to someone who does good work for a set of those honey Vibram soles.
    I couldn't find anyone who would work on my old Red Wings circa 1998. So I contacted Red Wing and they said send them in with $95 and they'd take a crack at them. Here's the before. They are well loved. Stay tuned for results.

P.S. I sent them this photo beforehand so they knew what they were up against before they said send 'em on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided I can't wear work boots all the time.

1375987_10200612294889941_859931143_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I've decided I can't wear work boots all the time.

1375987_10200612294889941_859931143_n.jpg
    Dress boots? Like those. Details?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ankle height Cole Haan. Impulse upgrade when looking for sneakers (I hate sneakers).