Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    Picked these up last May for my birthday. Redwing 3345’s.
    I may add a pair of these myself soon, I've been wearing the Iron Ranger in Amber for work and a similar but black boot would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Just ordered a pair of Quoddy chukkas.
    Found these for a nice price, and figure if I like them then maybe I'll splurge for a custom pair some day down the road.

How were these? I need a pair of kick-arounds and these might be them.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been working in the woods in a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes, but only because of constant mud and I can stuff them full of wool socks in the snow. And they are super quiet sneaking around in the woods. They aren't very safe around an axe or chainsaw though. Like buttah, as in goes through.

Does anyone have a steel toe boot recommendation? I was looking at these Chippewas, just because I know the name and they used to be the stuff. Maybe they still are. Any alternatives?

Last edited by j44ke; 04-21-2020 at 05:52 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    How were these? I need a pair of kick-arounds and these might be them.
    Haven't worn them once!
    I generally wear out a pair of Sperry topsiders every few years, and bought these as a "nicer pair" to wear on business travel, which is largely business casual.
    Alas, I have not been on the road since the end of February...
    They look nice in the box though.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check out:

White's Boots, Inc.

i don't own a pair, but i hear they're excellent and true-blue work boots, not just fashionable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by moondog-sparky View Post
    check out:

White's Boots, Inc.

i don't own a pair, but i hear they're excellent and true-blue work boots, not just fashionable.
    Thanks! These would be great.

Last edited by j44ke; 04-24-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

White's Boots are beautiful tools and the company stands behind them (for decades, in my dad's case)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been working in the woods in a pair of LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes, but only because of constant mud and I can stuff them full of wool socks in the snow. And they are super quiet sneaking around in the woods. They aren't very safe around an axe or chainsaw though. Like buttah, as in goes through.

Does anyone have a steel toe boot recommendation? I was looking at these Chippewas, just because I know the name and they used to be the stuff. Maybe they still are. Any alternatives?

i own and wear regularly red winds ST loggers.

be aware, they take some serious getting used to, not really in a bad way, but loggers, with the big sole and big heal dont feel like other boots, for sure. great for wilderness activities though, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I wondered. My impression is the big heel is for climbing with spikes - telephone poles or big single trunk trees. Sort of like stirrups on horse saddles and cowboy boots. But I would definitely like a sole with some bite to it. I have a great pair of Redwings but the sole is pebbled not lugged and they aren't helping. SO I'd like a boot with Vibram soles, regular height heel and a steel toe. Something like these Labonville boots, but without the padded ankle area. In my experience, that just gets chewed up.

Or those White's Boots above. I took a look at their order form, and they get you to measure 6 ways to Sunday for their boots. Encouraging precision but also a bit of pressure to get it right.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-27-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limmer's on the AT (today).

The AT hugs our property and it is less than 50ft from my door to get on the trail.
    This is my 2nd pair of stock (not customs). Had the standards first and after 3 resoles by Peter (Limmer is local to us), I moved on to these.
    Resoles were due roughly after 1000 miles of hard hiking.

Limmer leightweight is relative, as these are still crampon compatible, which is a must for me.

Most comfortable, hardest wearing boots made. They do require a bit of a brake in - but 50-100 miles will do; or wear them in the house for hours for two weeks.
    Use the limmer issued grease for care - which happens to be the best for any leather boot btw, my 1000 miles Wolves are much better with it as well.

Peter Limmer and Sons Custom Hiking boots – World Famous Custom and Stock Boots
    Lightweight
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You want boots? I got yer boots ;) Have not had good reason to don my RedWing steel toe work boots since I left the coal mine / mosh pit.
    Just a load of gravel and a ton of caution.
    They still feel awesome.

16t2.jpg

16t1.jpg

16t3.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do any of you have experience with Schnee's pacs?

I'm eyeing their newish pull-on boot: https://schnees.com/outfitter-pull-on/

I'm looking for a replacement for a pair Sorels like the Caribous that I've been wearing the past four years, and are now cracking around the foot. I couldn't figure out why my feet kept getting wet, only to discover two inch-plus cracks in the rubber behind one of the heels. I'll try to patch them up in the short run and maybe get through the winter, but I'm disappointed enough in their lack of durability that I think it's time to go in another direction. Pac boots used four or five months a year shouldn't be disposable items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post

I'm looking for a replacement for a pair Sorels like the Caribous that I've been wearing the past four years, and are now cracking around the foot. I couldn't figure out why my feet kept getting wet, only to discover two inch-plus cracks in the rubber behind one of the heels. I'll try to patch them up in the short run and maybe get through the winter, but I'm disappointed enough in their lack of durability that I think it's time to go in another direction. Pac boots used four or five months a year shouldn't be disposable items.
    Never heard of them, but they look awfully nice. They do the heel right with the Y stitch and the pull that goes all the way down the back of the boot. Removable liner is good too. Makes it easier to dry and clean the insides. I like the look of the Hunter II 10" boot. Just today I was wearing my LL Bean boots because the ground is bog wet, but I'd really like some kind of lug to the sole so I have a bit more grip. Or any grip. Really slippery in the woods right now.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never heard of them, but they look awfully nice. They do the heel right with the Y stitch and the pull that goes all the way down the back of the boot. Removable liner is good too. Makes it easier to dry and clean the insides. I like the look of the Hunter II 10" boot. Just today I was wearing my LL Bean boots because the ground is bog wet, but I'd really like some kind of lug to the sole so I have a bit more grip. Or any grip. Really slippery in the woods right now.
    For your area, I would definitely want the air bob sole. When I was in the Catskills, Bean boots were great for walking around on sidewalks and parking lots in the slop, but not for use in the woods. Same was true for my Red Wings with the smooth white sole. I bought a pair of Danner Rainforests, and I was happy with them out there.

Here in Minnesota, it's pretty flat, and a sole that doesn't drag a bunch of snow into the house, vehicles, or buildings is a plus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your area, I would definitely want the air bob sole. When I was in the Catskills, Bean boots were great for walking around on sidewalks and parking lots in the slop, but not for use in the woods. Same was true for my Red Wings with the smooth white sole. I bought a pair of Danner Rainforests, and I was happy with them out there.

Here in Minnesota, it's pretty flat, and a sole that doesn't drag a bunch of snow into the house, vehicles, or buildings is a plus.
    Yeah I agree. For that reason, I was wondering if I might do just as well with the uninsulated versions so I could potentially wear them deeper into spring. Might take some of the abuse off my hiking boots that right now get routinely buried in mud and have to be re-excavated, cleaned and sealed. Of course this is a wet year everyone says, but I am starting to think our property is where the county rain gauge is located.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I apologise in advance for steering this in my direction-but you lot give very high quality advice and I try to listen.

I've been re-thinking my winter riding strategy.

For near freezing/ minor sub-freezing temperatures I tend to use either road shoes with booties, or Lake winter MTB boots depending on the ride in question. This works fine.

For colder days-especially those that venture off road in the snow, I think would prefer warm hiking boots and flat pedals.

I have the flat pedals, but not the boots.

I'd prefer warm, grippy (Vibram?) and durable. What do you suggest? I suppose I might actually hike in them as well, but this is not a priority.

Thank you for any advice you may have,

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PedalEd actually makes (or has them made) cycling boots. They look rather nice.

https://pedaled.com/eu_en/men-cycling-shoes-grey-winter

And they look similar to a pair of Scarpa boots I wear frequently. If the PedalEd boots fit like Scarpas, then they are snug with a pair of Defeet wool socks.

https://www.scarpa.com/mojito-hike-gtx-men-s

The Scarpas have a stiffer than average sole with very grippy (almost rock climbing shoe grippy) rubber material. Probably would grip pedals well.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just sent them a note asking how insulation affects sizing. Is the outer boot of the insulated models larger than the outer boot of the non-insulated. I don't know how it could be otherwise. Two size 10 boots, the insulated one should be larger so a size 10 foot fit into the boot + insulation the same way it fits into a size 10 boot without insulation.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post

I'd prefer warm, grippy (Vibram?) and durable. What do you suggest? I suppose I might actually hike in them as well, but this is not a priority.
    The price will hurt... but mountaineering boots. Like the scarpa mont blanc pros. They will be plenty warm in almost all conditions, waterproof, sticky rubber, and very rigid soles. But tbh... probably not worth the price. Maybe a mountaineering "light" boot would fit the bill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waterproof steel toed Chippewas are not made really well anymore, they haven't been for about 10 years. I bought a pair from the Working Person Store, and something was wrong with the heel and sole that made both creaked as I walked, and there was a lump under one
    of the footbeds, then I discovered they were made in China, so I sent them back and ordered a pair of waterproof insulated Carolina's with the carbon fiber toe which is far better than the steel toe. In snow the steel toe will radiate the cold onto your feet, the CF toe doesn't do that. The Carolina was also made in China but with much better quality control. I've had those Carolinas for 10 years and they're still good to go for about another 5 years, maybe longer? I only wear them in the winter obviously, but they are not as slippery on ice as other shoes I've had, still slippery but not as slippery. While Carolina does offer a resole and reconditioning program but I found the prices to do that were almost the same as buying a new pair, so when mine do wear out I will get another new pair but this time without the CF toe, both the steel and CF toes make the boots too heavy and I don't need the reinforced toe. And the leather tops are still in great condition after all those years and being exposed to water, snow and mud, and I've never treated the leather with anything.

Also about 13 years ago I bought a pair of Red Wings...never again! They only lasted 3 years and the soles were worn out as was the footbed. Plus after I got the Carolinas I discovered that the Carolinas were far more comfortable for my feet then the Red Wings were, of course everyones feet will be different.