Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I wear trail running shoes or hiking boots 99% of the time, so take this for where it comes from, but I just don't see the attraction. If you want to look like you are wearing cowboy boots why not wear real cowboy boots? For a crew that prides itself on authenticity these things and their ilk just don't fit.
    The Chelsea boot came before the Cowboy boot. Chelsea boots came about in the Victorian Era - sometime shortly after 1837. The modern day Cowboy boot was not invented until 1875. There were shorter variants in the 1850's but still - same time or after the Chelsea boot. Also, different areas of origination and different uses.
    Last edited by Brandon White; 08-31-2018 at 03:58 PM.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    The Chelsea boot came before the Cowboy boot. Chelsea boots came about in the Victorian Era - sometime shortly after 1837. The modern day Cowboy boot was not invented until 1875. There were shorter variants in the 1850's but still - same time or after the Chelsea boot. Also, different areas of origination and different uses.
    Interesting history. Thanks!

But my Altras and Salomons are still quite safe...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Interesting history. Thanks!

But my Altras and Salomons are still quite safe...
    Oh, I live in Vivobarefoots and (gasp) Bedrocks (when my wife/kids are not around). I have stylish footwear, just no place or weather to wear it.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20% coupon finally made me pull the trigger on a pair of Bean Boots. Looking forward to retiring my heavy, clunky, rubber shitkickers in time for CX season to get soggy.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
    20% coupon finally made me pull the trigger on a pair of Bean Boots. Looking forward to retiring my heavy, clunky, rubber shitkickers in time for CX season to get soggy.
    I always have at least one pair of these (since being about 12 years old) and in the last year I've been wearing a pair of 6" BB's a lot because upstate has been so wet and muddy. I order a narrow and get the insole and they are plenty comfortable. The 6" height is best for the city which is why I got them, but the 8" is really the best all-round height. 10" if you stomp around in the woods a lot in wet or snow. And the luxury item is a kick-off pair for next to the door. They used to offer lacing hooks on the taller boots, and that made them a lot easier on and off. Best upgrade is a heavy duty set of waxed leather or cord laces. The braided nylon ones that come with the boots snag on brush too much. And the leather tops do require break-in, usually on either side where the leather tongue folds at the ankle.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw these on STP for $200, which is down quite a bit from their normal $500 price. I went up a full size but that might not be enough... It's difficult to size insulated boots. Hanwag Abisko might be too tight in the toes.
    IMG_4712.jpg

Might have to walk around the house a few more times before I cut the tags off.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found myself back in the boot business, didn't mean to but did. I hiked up my normal hill (1500 vertical) with my White's Smokejumpers. Thinking "daymn the boots be heavy all the way up. Looked at my White's Centennials and they needed a resole job. So I went to my local booter a couple blocks from the house to get the new Vibram treatment. Nice guys work at Grizzly Boots in Missoula, MT. What a store, White's boots, Filson clothing, and dog friendly. Low and behold they had a brown White's Centennial in my size. Made the mistake of trying them on and gots me another pair of boots. Took a week to get my old black boots back and went up the big hill with a happy face. They have to be a couple lbs lighter each than the old Smokies. The brown ones have a leather that takes polish instead of boot oil. Now I have some urban boots to go with my black greased boots. Good thing about the Centennials is they don't take a month to break in. Wore them right out of the box with no break in period. I can not say enough good things about the shop or White's products. Going on two weeks now and I have not worn my throw away sneakers once. Feets say thanks. Life is too short to wear crap shoes, trust me I am old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would highly recommend RM Williams for a chelsea, I like the Craftsman, but it has a leather sole.

Their Gardeners have a rubber sole, but they are less elegant looking.

Their Comfort Turnout is sort of the best of both worlds, sleeker toebox, but on a rubber sole, nice boot.

If you don't mind a trip down the rabbit hole, you can order all sorts of customs direct from the factory in Australia or from a couple other stores. You get the option of a sleeker boot with a more rough and tumble sole. All can be resoled, and they are surprisingly durable. And one perk is that they are made from a single piece of whole-cut leather, with a single seam up the heel. More water resistant and a much sleeker look without the stitching running up the side of your boot.

Check out the R.M. Williams page (https://intl.rmwilliams.com/on/deman...ault/Home-Show) for good pictures of all your choices of models (I think they still have a store in New York City too where you can try things on, but they don't stock everything). That said, you can save a fair bit by ordering directly from Australia, where the pricing is much cheaper. Check out Boots Online (Comfort Turnout (B53Y) Made-To-Order - Boots OnlineBoots Online) where the $495 boots in the US market sell for $295. If you go custom, and you have a medium width foot, I'd recommend getting their narrow width (F) as the fit is great, the leather stretches a bit, and you get a better looking boot.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    As we look toward fall, I've begun poking around for a pair of chelseas that could be worn with wool trousers, but still have a bit of rubber on the sole. They need to be dark brown or burgundy.

AE's Liverpool appears ideal, except for the color: Liverpool Chelsea Dress Boot by Allen Edmonds

Any suggestions for other, similar models that come in dark brown or burgundy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I broke my collarbone (and some others) this past June so my plan NEXT spring and summer is ride the motorcycle as much as I ride the bike, just to see if I can taunt The Fates further...to that end I've got a pair of John Lofgren Engineers that double as my Look Like Richard Manuel Hanging Around Big Pink in 1968. These are BY FAR the best made boots I have ever owned. RedWing Iron Rangers, Chippewas, Belstaff---none even come close in quality. Mine look like this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Qui plume a, guerre a. Ce monde est un vaste temple dédié ŕ la discorde.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought that boots were cool. Back in 1070's, my older business partner talked me into buying a pair of "Tony Lama"s". They just don't work for me. Long toes, high arch and narrow heals. Lot's of blisters. Watches, cars, and bicycles are my bad habits or good depending on how you look at it.
    Last edited by dpcompt; 10-16-2018 at 11:17 PM. Reason: change

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just ordered a pair of Danner Bull Run Moc Toe work boots for the cooler weather. (although they are not insulated)

Got them from the REI web site, so I'll pick them up at the store and see how they fit. I used to be usually be a 10.5, but lately as I've aged it seems that 11 fits me better, so I went with that.

Danner - Bull Run Moc Toe 6" Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to get a pair of logger boots. Probably even steel toe. Gonna be spending a lot of time clearing brush and cutting down trees this winter. My Bean Boots and Asolo hiking boots are not really up to the task. Red Wings feel a little precious for this application, at least in their heritage line. Looking at Chippewa and Carolina, maybe Danner. Thoughts?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I want to get a pair of logger boots. Probably even steel toe. Gonna be spending a lot of time clearing brush and cutting down trees this winter. My Bean Boots and Asolo hiking boots are not really up to the task. Red Wings feel a little precious for this application, at least in their heritage line. Looking at Chippewa and Carolina, maybe Danner. Thoughts?
    For this sort of job I'd think about the temps you're going to see and how much slush / water you're going to be tromping around in. Those will have a huge impact on your overall comfort, no matter how well they fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The more steel in the boot, the colder your feet will be. Redwing makes more than its (now) hipster Heritage line. They also make work boots, and one of the advantages of Redwing is that a number of their models come in widths, from A to EEE. So you can get a better fit. Plus the soles are more comfortable over the course of a day spent tromping around on pointy rocky surfaces. I don't see anything like the Redwing Heritage line at our house site. All the guys are wearing comfortable boots with lightweight construction.

These have Redwing's TruWelt (traditional) sole and Thinsulate insulation. And a steel toe. Looks like a pretty nice boot. Redwing 4405.

These have their SuperSole (lightweight), a steel toe and a more traditional look. This model also comes in a full spread of widths. Redwing 2233.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work for an environmental nonprofit and my colleagues who do field work full time love insulated xtratuf steel toe boots for winter. Definitely a different look than those others but super practical if you're gonna be out in snow and slushy stuff. XTRATUF Legacy Series 15" Neoprene Steel Toe Insulated Men's Fishing Boots, Copper & Tan (22273G) - Boots - Amazon.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The more steel in the boot, the colder your feet will be. Redwing makes more than its (now) hipster Heritage line. They also make work boots, and one of the advantages of Redwing is that a number of their models come in widths, from A to EEE. So you can get a better fit. Plus the soles are more comfortable over the course of a day spent tromping around on pointy rocky surfaces. I don't see anything like the Redwing Heritage line at our house site. All the guys are wearing comfortable boots with lightweight construction.
    Its supposed to rain all day on Saturday. If I don't make it to the Philly show, I'm going to the local store we affectionately refer to the "Mennonite Mall" and try on a bunch of boots. They carry Carolina, Chippewa, Carhartt, and maybe even Red Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
    I work for an environmental nonprofit and my colleagues who do field work full time love insulated xtratuf steel toe boots for winter. Definitely a different look than those others but super practical if you're gonna be out in snow and slushy stuff. XTRATUF Legacy Series 15" Neoprene Steel Toe Insulated Men's Fishing Boots, Copper & Tan (22273G) - Boots - Amazon.com
    Those are really interesting! Thank you.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need zero-drop boots...
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wesco (and probably Whites and Nick's) will do custom work if you need either more or less heel drop. Fully flat boots are quite a rare bird (especially in a logger, where the heels are functional), but they could probably make it work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve put them all through the paces over the years on the farm. If you are going to be working outside in the winter with snow on the ground, leather boots aren’t going to cut it. Check out a pac style boot like these

Outdoor/Hunting Pacs. Hoffman Boots

We log all winter up here in mass with our horses and these have given me years of dry and warm feet. Models with the felt liner are nice for the extra cold days. Also make sure you have plenty of room. People try to add extra socks for warmth but imo that does little and good circulation is key.