Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

I love boots but live in a boot prohibitive (mostly) wearing climate. I have these Alden's though and wear them every chance I get. I'd love to pick up a red wing moc or a nice black roughed-out boot.

Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auk View Post
    Early this past spring I came to the decision to start buying the boots that will be my 10-20 year life boots. First up was the Red Wing 875. Stiff as board during break-in, but the crepe sole made it tolerable. Now that the uppers are getting close to break in, a superb boot. Following the 875's were the Beckman in saddle and Iron Ranger in black. Both just slightly different and amazing boots. Rangers are the more robust and heavy boot of the two. Both could be used with anythig less than a full suit. Looking forward to beating the shit out of all three and I'm sure with just the basic care needed, will probably be lifers.
    I got Beckman's last winter. They are finally starting to get broken in. 10" Bean Boots a few weeks back. Red Wing 877 are next, and then a pair of hiking boots - Limmer? - and I'm all set.

Having a boot strategy is really important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and they will last just as long. so nice...

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Those are about the price of an H Son Plus wheel set w/ CK hubs, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Guess it'll have to be the wolverines, the redwings don't come in a 14.

brunop - my next hiking boots will be limmer lightweights.
    I have a pair of White's in 14EEE from my firefighting/Grand Canyon route finding days. Highly recomended!!
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Spinelli View Post
    Strong, supple, and sexy with the best materials. Sounds pretty "luxe".
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never knew boots could be this nice. when i put them on i feel like i'm back on my pegoretti love#3. no bullshit italian craftsmanship with the right amount of styling.
    Strong, supple, and sexy with the best materials. Sounds pretty "luxe".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love boots but live in a boot prohibitive (mostly) wearing climate. I have these Alden's though and wear them every chance I get. I'd love to pick up a red wing moc or a nice black roughed-out boot.

It's not that prohibitive. I wear boots regularly. Pair them with a pair of light, breathable cycling socks and you'll be good 9 months out of the year. I expect to see you in those next time we ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Spinelli View Post
    Almost the staying power as your likeness in the Craft section of the WCP catalog that arrived in the mail today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    It's not that prohibitive. I wear boots regularly. Pair them with a pair of light, breathable cycling socks and you'll be good 9 months out of the year. I expect to see you in those next time we ride.
    Sure, let me drill cleat mounts in the bottom. They can always be resoled down the road.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, let me drill cleat mounts in the bottom. They can always be resoled down the road.
    Perfect. They'll pair nicely with your Gaulzetti kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the original post for a sec, Justin, I've had those very boots for about two years now and they're only getting more comfortable (and better looking). Sno Seal or another wax-based waterproofing will darken these significantly. I think they'd also take a polish, if you were so inclined.

Anybody in the market for boots should sign up at Danner's site for the outlet ("break room") alerts. They frequently have Mountain Lights for $50 in odd sizes or seconds. And other stuff.

Also: Tricker's boots at Sierra Trading Post. Wait for a coupon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2 pairs of montrails just like those. I got the first pair in 1997, the ones i still wear. I bought another pair, still in the box to put back when they stopped making them. I still have not worn out the first pair. They are, however, only relegated to hiking duties.

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Not dress boots, but if it snowy where you are don't buy a leather hiking boot without a plastic toe cap. I bought a pair of Merrell Wilderness, which were great in the summer. But now in the snow the toes absorb water through scuffs no matter how much snow seal I put on them.

15 year old Montrails on the left with a toe cap, 2 week old Merrells on the right.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geoffk View Post
    Back to the original post for a sec, Justin, I've had those very boots for about two years now and they're only getting more comfortable (and better looking). Sno Seal or another wax-based waterproofing will darken these significantly. I think they'd also take a polish, if you were so inclined.

Anybody in the market for boots should sign up at Danner's site for the outlet ("break room") alerts. They frequently have Mountain Lights for $50 in odd sizes or seconds. And other stuff.

Thanks Geoff, I was wondering about treating them, not doing anything right now, just breaking in. Maybe in a few weeks I'll polish them up before a Holiday Party I am going to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    The thing that remains really nice about LL Bean is...even 5 years down the road if you don't like 'em...you can send 'em back and get your $ refunded. Bad form, perhaps...but the option is there.
    No "perhaps".
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good advice. My brother picked up these for 50 bucks. I have a pair. Pretty sweet.

Danner - DannerĀ® USMC RAT Hot Military Boots - Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    I have 2 pairs of montrails just like those. I got the first pair in 1997, the ones i still wear. I bought another pair, still in the box to put back when they stopped making them. I still have not worn out the first pair. They are, however, only relegated to hiking duties.
    If they are size 10-11 I'll buy em! They are amazing boots, total bummer no one makes anything like them anymore.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would never take these off. ever. whoa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHOOO! Crisis avoided on my end. They are 9.5s or else i would have felt inclined to send them your way. Lucky for me, they don't fit you.

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    If they are size 10-11 I'll buy em! They are amazing boots, total bummer no one makes anything like them anymore.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it recommended to seal these before the snow and ensuing salt hits New England?

You guys have nice taste...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These Shell Cordovan Alden Jumper boots are my favorite for work. Been knocking them around for several years now, and love them more every time I wear them.

I've also been wearing black Merrill Wilderness for snow boots for something like 20 years, but if I could ever finally kill them I'd be on the lookout for a pair of the Danner's, thanks for that link to the outlet Jeoff.

Justin, if your boots are black or dark brown, I'd definitely apply Sno Seal annually as the weather turns cold.

FInally, I'd love a pair of these Lone Wolf Engineer boots, but they are expensive and as they are now made primarily for the Japanese market, I don't think they even make them in my size (12.5-13).