User Tag List

Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Based on the price and I what I think I've seen on the web, is it correct that they are no longer made in Australia?
    Correct, now made in Thailand and Viet Nam. Here is a link back to a cobbler who did a good job on my Blundstone re-sole. My initial experience with the Thai boots was not good, but a recent pair was much improved. I'm going to try the model recommended by Joe, but I wish I had stocked up on the Aussie boots!

Speaking of unicorns, anyone have a good substitute for the old Italian-made Vasque Sundowners? Someone told me the original factory was making boots under their own name now, but I've never located them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a sucker for classic looking hiking boots. I still like the Lowa boots for hiking. I have never tried Danners but they look pretty slick.
    Danner - Mountain Light II 5" Brown - Hike - Product

This winter I got a new pair of mountaineering boots that work with step in crampons. They have a bit of insulation, a crazy rigid sole and I am pretty psyched on them. Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro GTX robonza: Review: Scarpa Mont Blanc Pro GTX Boots

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann View Post
    AE has had the same problems as well. Both are experiencing growth. AE is also aggressively looking east with new shops opening in China. The one thing I like about Alden is they use Horween. I am still upset Redwing moved on years ago. End of the day, the only thing Alden is missing is a nice Dainite sole...
    It seems you wish you could have Dainite but it's available with Allen Edmonds. And Allen Edmonds makes a variety of shoes and boots with Horween leathers. I have cordovans with Horween cordovan as a case in point. I can be hard on shoes and yet mine have lasted for years of heavy and abusive use. You're welcome to your opinion but no one wins points here. Enjoy the other posts and perhaps learn something. I always do.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I am a sucker for classic looking hiking boots. I still like the Lowa boots for hiking. I have never tried Danners but they look pretty slick.
    Danner - Mountain Light II 5" Brown - Hike - Product
    -Joe
    I received a pair of these for christmas and have been pretty impressed. They were crucially available in wide sizes, are breaking in very nicely and have been absolutely waterproof in all of the snow and slush I've thrown at them. Feel like a winner so far (and look rad, to boot).
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we are talking old school hiking boots I have got to glow. When I looked to see if my beloved Merrill Wilderness were still made the reward was instant. For someone like me who weighs 200 lbs and like to walk/run/bound on pointy rocks these rule. I've had mine for a few years now and broke them in by doing wet garden work and lots of dog walks. These are beastly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I have a pair of Danner Mountain Light IIs. I got them for the classic look and the fact that they're Made in USA. There's very nice, they fit me well, are comfortable, and I love them. The only not 100% great issue is that despite the name, they are not the lightest thing in the world. In my case they aren't going to be used to climb Denali, or anything like that, so it really isn't a big a deal. Other than that, they're awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm a 47 in Sidi, 46/12 in most normal shoes, 11.5 in old pair of Corcoran boots, what am I in Red Wing (Iron Ranger)? My guess is 11.5. Help me pull the trigger before I think too much. Sure I COULD go try some on but I could also just return them if they don't fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Since we are talking old school hiking boots I have got to glow. When I looked to see if my beloved Merrill Wilderness were still made the reward was instant.
    You have good taste in boots! These are my winter daily wear here in the mountains. They also look good enough to be worn for casual wear, I wear them to work in the winter.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we are talking old school hiking boots I have got to glow. When I looked to see if my beloved Merrill Wilderness were still made the reward was instant. For someone like me who weighs 200 lbs and like to walk/run/bound on pointy rocks these rule. I've had mine for a few years now and broke them in by doing wet garden work and lots of dog walks. These are beastly.

These are the warmest boots I have ever owned. The temperature has to be below freezing for me to even wear them. The Wilderness are a great alternative to my Iron Rangers when there's snow/ice on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    It seems you wish you could have Dainite but it's available with Allen Edmonds. And Allen Edmonds makes a variety of shoes and boots with Horween leathers. I have cordovans with Horween cordovan as a case in point. I can be hard on shoes and yet mine have lasted for years of heavy and abusive use. You're welcome to your opinion but no one wins points here. Enjoy the other posts and perhaps learn something. I always do.
    I have several pairs of shoes with Dainite. B Nelson in NYC will re-sole whatever you like with Dainite. AE just started using Horween's catalog recently for non-shell (Horween was the only game for shell domestically for quite some time).And AE still ignores a majority of Horween's coolest offerings. I used to work in retail, so there is not a lot I do not know when it comes to tailored clothing and fine shoes. Any adequate shoe will last if you take care of them. I'd be upset too if I had a closet full of adequate shoes as well, but there's no need for such a feable attempt at the "high road", strawmen arguements and passive agreesive tone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are nice. Love the Danner's as well. Was contemplating picking them up as a work horse pair for my next hiking adventure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a pair of Iron Rangers. I wear a 10 in other Red Wings. Bought a 9.5. The 9 wasn't that short either. The 10 was way too long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the redwing heritage boot lasts are all over the place. I'm a sidi 45, and a 10 in my beckmans. I tried on the iron rangers as well, and I think those were a 10 on me also. They are difficult to size on the Internet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    If I'm a 47 in Sidi, 46/12 in most normal shoes, 11.5 in old pair of Corcoran boots, what am I in Red Wing (Iron Ranger)? My guess is 11.5. Help me pull the trigger before I think too much. Sure I COULD go try some on but I could also just return them if they don't fit.
    i will check when i get home, 46.5 in sidi and i think i have a 12 in the iron ranger with room for thick socks comfortably, no insole in them...
    my iron ranger might be 11.5 though, need to check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viberg makes a much better boot, but who there is no justifying the price. Never had a problem with any of the Alden's I own. Leather is always top notch. The Natural CXL from Alden is the only one that turns a nice shade of Amer. My Rancourts turned a deep brown.
    i have a pair of vibergs that i got second hand in almost new condition. they are definiltely a step beyond Alden in terms of quality. the leather they use is noticeably thicker than the lined leather they use in an Indy boot. the Dainite sole is awesome too. i'm contemplating another viberg boot being offered on the SF GMTO.

i had to go through 3 pairs of Indys before I got a pair with no apparent leather defects.

re: dainite vs neoprene cork. i like both of them. the dainite is lighter and equally as hard wearing

The one thing I like about Alden is they use Horween. I am still upset Redwing moved on years ago. End of the day, the only thing Alden is missing is a nice Dainite sole...
    Red Wings bought the SB Tannery in the 80s. not sure when they stopped using Horween hides, but it makes sense that they eventually phased it out.

also own a pair of Wilderness boots. they are probably 14 years old at this point and definitely need a new sole job. but great focking boots!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that really is interesting the number of people here still using my trusty old Wilderness boots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Wesco hybrid "PackMaster". Looking forward to breaking these in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With daily wear, breakin should be sometime in 2027.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wore them today- surprisingly comfortable out of the box. It's over 100* in the shop right now, so I imagine that will speed things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful boots, Eric. I am still kicking myself for missing a similar pair that came up for sale in my size in the wesco seconds page. Apparently the packmaster is offered as a stock boot in Japan although I can't remember what they call the model.