Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

B543K_41_T.jpg

R.M.'s "Craftsman" in Kangaroo.

For those not familiar with these, each boot is made from a single piece of leather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    B543K_41_T.jpg

R.M.'s "Craftsman" in Kangaroo.

For those not familiar with these, each boot is made from a single piece of leather.
    very nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dugafola View Post
    just got myself a pair of Alden Indy 405s as an Xmas present to myself.

happy holidays everyone!
    Ordered a set in Howrween natural CXl with the Cammando sole myself as well. Best boot for the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found my Alden Indys to be pretty deeply disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wearing a pair of these (Danner Workman Romeo) as I type this. They aren't the best looking boots in the world, in part because they suffer from the "platypus bill" look at the front, and the width makes driving a manual a bit tricky, but other than that, I like them. Super convenient to put and off. (Not made in the US, so the price is on the lower side of the Danner options.)

http://www.danner.com/product/work/w...ork-boots.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    I have found my Alden Indys to be pretty deeply disappointing.
    In comfort or quality? Alden has gained reputation for poor stitching the last 5 years or so (just see other forums that have Alden threads in the thousands of pages).
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my 3rd pair of Blundstones, the 2 previous pair were given to a bud and are still going strong. I wear them constantly. They came in a brownish color. I don't like brown anything really, and the black they offered was a bit much. My solution was/is to use black shoe polish, which I think gives them the perfect color, like an espresso bean I guess. The others are Karl Kuemmerling logging boots and over 20years old. I worked for a tree company back in the day, mostly as a ground-man, and my boss called me Kong. He bought me these, I love them, and wear them still. Custom shock-chord laces by yours truly.
    IMG_7089.jpg
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann View Post
    Ordered a set in Howrween natural CXl with the Cammando sole myself as well. Best boot for the money.

where did you order them from? i have mine on order from epaulet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    In comfort or quality? Alden has gained reputation for poor stitching the last 5 years or so (just see other forums that have Alden threads in the thousands of pages).
    Poor stitching, tongues that slide to the sides, and leather than scuffs and scars very easily. I am a huge Alden dress shoe fan -- have 6 pairs -- but the Indys have disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Poor stitching, tongues that slide to the sides, and leather than scuffs and scars very easily. I am a huge Alden dress shoe fan -- have 6 pairs -- but the Indys have disappointed.
    my issue with indys is the poor clicking on the leather. i can't believe some of the stuff they let leave the factory as first quality leather.

i've never had a problem with stitching generally and CXL will scuff if you look at it so i didn't mind it either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I just got these. I dig em.

-Joe
    Can you tell me where you got those? I have searched for those and come up empty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where did you order them from? i have mine on order from epaulet.
    Leffot NYC. Leffot. Leather Soul in LA and Hawaii also have soem nice special orders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my issue with indys is the poor clicking on the leather. i can't believe some of the stuff they let leave the factory as first quality leather.

i've never had a problem with stitching generally and CXL will scuff if you look at it so i didn't mind it either.
    Viberg makes a much better boot, but who there is no justifying the price. Never had a problem with any of the Alden's I own. Leather is always top notch. The Natural CXL from Alden is the only one that turns a nice shade of Amer. My Rancourts turned a deep brown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Much better than Aldens are Allen Edmonds. Great detail work, and you can get many variations, including custom combinations in soles, leathers, etc. to your personal preference. I have a pair of cordovans done with a dress vibram sole for wear in really ugly winter weather -- after eight years they look like new -- combination of cordovan and the soles. I more recently got the following and love them:

Cordovan Dalton - Wingtip Lace-up Dress Boots by Allen Edmonds

Also, just for grins, here are some kicks that Richard needs to dress up his new socks. Posting these on his FB page just for grins, too.

brunello cucinelli.jpg
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys really should know by now that all the cool kids are wearing these shoes (no socks) and doing this, instead of actually riding a bike:

(I case you're wondering, and I know you are, it's called a Carex Pedal Exerciser)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    Much better than Aldens are Allen Edmonds. Great detail work, and you can get many variations, including custom combinations in soles, leathers, etc. to your personal preference. I have a pair of cordovans done with a dress vibram sole for wear in really ugly winter weather -- after eight years they look like new -- combination of cordovan and the soles. I more recently got the following and love them:

Cordovan Dalton - Wingtip Lace-up Dress Boots by Allen Edmonds

Also, just for grins, here are some kicks that Richard needs to dress up his new socks. Posting these on his FB page just for grins, too.

brunello cucinelli.jpg
    You are seriously stating that AE's are better than Alden? They are not even close. AE just started using Horween leathers (aside from shell). AE are mostly machine made and none of them are leisurely handsewn like Alden. In the end, they are an adequate shoe for the price. Aldens are a huge step up in quality and craftsmanship and are the gatekeepers for well made shoe. They best AE soles are not even made in house - JRs and Dainite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got 2 pairs of hard worn AE's that I've owned since the early 80's a black tassel lounger and a very nice pair of Cordovan tassled wingtip slip-ons Both have been back to be rebuilt more than once and still look great. Did they use a better leather 30+ years ago maybe they cost about the same then as they do now so who knows. I'll be curious to see how some of the new makers do with a growing market there have been some not so glowing reports of Aldens but that is true for most companies trying to make a mark I guess time will tell but I'd still buy another pair of AE's before I'd drop twice as much or more for a pair that may or may not be marginally better. YMMV of course.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Can you tell me where you got those? I have searched for those and come up empty!
    I got them at The Pedestrian Shop in Boulder. Shoes | Comfortable Walking Shoes | Work & Dress Shoes

You get them from Blundstone directly: Stout Brown Premium Leather - Adult Casual Boot Series - Blundstone

You'll love them!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on the price and I what I think I've seen on the web, is it correct that they are no longer made in Australia?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    I've got 2 pairs of hard worn AE's that I've owned since the early 80's a black tassel lounger and a very nice pair of Cordovan tassled wingtip slip-ons Both have been back to be rebuilt more than once and still look great. Did they use a better leather 30+ years ago maybe they cost about the same then as they do now so who knows. I'll be curious to see how some of the new makers do with a growing market there have been some not so glowing reports of Aldens but that is true for most companies trying to make a mark I guess time will tell but I'd still buy another pair of AE's before I'd drop twice as much or more for a pair that may or may not be marginally better. YMMV of course.
    AE has had the same problems as well. Both are experiencing growth. AE is also aggressively looking east with new shops opening in China. The one thing I like about Alden is they use Horween. I am still upset Redwing moved on years ago. End of the day, the only thing Alden is missing is a nice Dainite sole...