Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Boots

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Boots

Redwings workin' hard on 44 Cervelo frames at the AIS facility in Adelaide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tristan - what color leather did your iron rangers start out? They really look great. Have you treated them with any leather conditioners? (Mink oil, etc)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS View Post
    Tristan - what color leather did your iron rangers start out? They really look great. Have you treated them with any leather conditioners? (Mink oil, etc)
    Thanks! Mine were 'harness leather'. I scuff the sides up when I sit down - my damn legs are too long and the sides of my feet rest against the ground which dirties the leather in this spot. Every once in a while I give them a good scrub with soap to clean them up, then treat them with a Kiwi Polish cream. It gives them a nice dark, shiny but not pretentious look. They're work boots - they're worn daily in our concrete floor workshop and I'm not gentle on them. Super comfortable boots which get better and better as I wear them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been looking for good, all purpose work boots and find that the venerable brands like Chippewa, Wolverine, others may be made in China.
    I also have a tough time finding boots that fit because I have slightly narrow feet with my left being bigger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcxmbfj View Post
    I also have a tough time finding boots that fit because I have slightly narrow feet with my left being bigger.
    I've got quite narrow feet and was presently surprised to find the Red Wings fitted well. They have a few different lasts so maybe I got lucky but they're worth trying on if you haven't already.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSA: Amazon is giving 25% off shoes through Dec 21.

Bought Chippewa 6" laceup, USA made for ~$100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcxmbfj View Post
    Been looking for good, all purpose work boots and find that the venerable brands like Chippewa, Wolverine, others may be made in China.
    Boots for Upland Hunting / Gokey® Custom Classic Upland Boot -- Orvis

A stiff hit to the wallet...but mine are now at least 20 years old and been through several resoles. A great all-around boot...and I mean I have beat the shit out of these. Gokey isn't the Gokey that was...the original company sold out and Orvis bought the name...but the shoes still look to be solid, (seen them in person) but I don't know who is actually making them. I have a AA width foot, so I am used to having to pay big $'s for both dress and casual shoes...so I buy a very few pair...of the best I can get...and hold on to them. Good shoes really last if you take care of 'em. And really, any regular reader of this website is pretty attuned to the idea of paying for true quality....if the quality and value are there. The Filson upland boots are very nice too....but I am not sure if they still are available in narrower widths. They also are a bit pricey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think this thread needs another picture of Iron Rangers, especially brand new ones, but I just got a pair and I already love them. They look great, MUSA is a good thing, and the Red Wing store in town will clean and oil them free of charge any time I care to bring them in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree on the Iron Rangers. Had mine about 2 weeks now and they're really wearing in nicely. I was a little concerned at first that they'd be too stiff and not have enough "squish" for walking around on hard hospital floors but that fear has been proven wrong. Getting more comfortable every day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just got myself a pair of Alden Indy 405s as an Xmas present to myself.

happy holidays everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Go look for shell cordovan boots. Shell cordovan is basically the butt of a horse, with the top surface stripped off. It's bulletproof, extraordinary fine grain, and only comes in small pieces, one from each butt. The Horween website shows the process of preparing it -- there's not much of it available and I think in the US at least, Horween is the only one still making it. It's expensive and Allen Edmonds has the best selection -- it runs about $200 more than what a comparable pair of Ferragamos will cost you. Just found a screaming deal on these, and they're gorgeous. Only a couple sizes left and then they're gone.

Men's 744LTD 1000 Mile Boot - W00744 - Vintage Boots | Wolverine
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    Go look for shell cordovan boots. Shell cordovan is basically the butt of a horse, with the top surface stripped off. It's bulletproof, extraordinary fine grain, and only comes in small pieces, one from each butt. The Horween website shows the process of preparing it -- there's not much of it available and I think in the US at least, Horween is the only one still making it. It's expensive and Allen Edmonds has the best selection -- it runs about $200 more than what a comparable pair of Ferragamos will cost you. Just found a screaming deal on these, and they're gorgeous. Only a couple sizes left and then they're gone.

Men's 744LTD 1000 Mile Boot - W00744 - Vintage Boots | Wolverine
    those are nice boots. what price did you find them at? i have 2 pairs of regular 1K miles and love them...but really smitten by the indys i got last week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my RedWings - bought back in 2010 - just heavily ever since
    and my Chippewas - also heavy in use at the workshop - Yes I do like them moc toe cut ones

In our shop we use Otter Wax products - they run some good "how to dos" - the customer feedback is good as well ...

marTIn - John Tweed – Stil mit Profil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race." H.G. Wells

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, I just wrapped up the first clean & oil on my month old Iron Rangers and I have to say, it was super relaxing and cool to see the end result. I'm looking forward to taking care of them for years to come.

Also learned that the cats think Red Wing boot oil is delicious. Suicidal tendencies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dugafola View Post
    just got myself a pair of Alden Indy 405s as an Xmas present to myself.

happy holidays everyone!
    Great boots
    I've had my 405s for a dozen or so years and they still look great. Soles on these wear like iron also which doesn't hurt.

Also glad to see other people appreciate nice MUSA boots.
    I've got the 405s, Alden Cordovan Chukkas, a few pair of Redwings and a pair of Danners I just broke in while spending a week hiking Glacier last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by commonguy001 View Post
    Great boots
    I've had my 405s for a dozen or so years and they still look great. Soles on these wear like iron also which doesn't hurt.

Also glad to see other people appreciate nice MUSA boots.
    I've got the 405s, Alden Cordovan Chukkas, a few pair of Redwings and a pair of Danners I just broke in while spending a week hiking Glacier last year.
    i like them so much i jumped on a pre-order for a natural CXL indy with a commando sole and brass eyelets. should be here in a few months!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These just arrived. I need to go get a thin insole, but I didn't get them for comfort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    These just arrived. I need to go get a thin insole, but I didn't get them for comfort.
    Nice, what are those? Trickers? They look a bit like Doc Martin's soles, but that can't be right, is it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got these. I dig em.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrZRM View Post
    Nice, what are those? Trickers? They look a bit like Doc Martin's soles, but that can't be right, is it?
    They are limited run loakes. Some brittish sci fi fans might find them familiar...