Likes Likes:  0

Thread: F1 does Austin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default F1 does Austin

Desperately tried to figure out how to make the trip to witness the insanity first-hand...but it wasn't in the cards. Anyone here go? How was it?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: F1 does Austin

Not this time. I've high hopes for the proposed NJ race. It could be a like an American Monaco. The last F1 race I went to was Montreal. It was Hamilton's maiden F1 win and a great weekend overall. I took the crappy picture below with my blackberry (it was 2007!)

Montreal.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't afford to go, but it was great race to watch. Red Bull locked up the constructor's championship, but Mclaren and Ferrari drove out of their skin this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either Austin played it well, or turn out was less than expected.

Initial reports from quite a businesses is "we were overstaffed, overstocked, underwhelmed with foot traffic."

That said, I had to have my wife come pick me up Saturday evening after work, as the train was overflowing with people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

al415, didn't I read somewhere the NJ race is a no-go?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't think F1 is for America at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out this article in Autoweek from a guy that was previously very skeptical.

"Unlike many road courses, it features excellent sightlines and multiple viewing areas with great views of more than a single corner or straightaway. As a complete, modern facility, it stands absolutely unrivaled by any racing venue on this continent. Period."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ferrari gearbox sticker-gate was inspired.

Formula 1 - Motorhead: Ferrari

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the Championship so close it was always going to be a great race but the Austin circuit was great tv viewing. Turn 1 and the first sector looked fantastic.

I was equally impressed by the 251ft observation tower with it's flowing red mullet. Very American :-)
    f12012_austin_023.jpgjoe-dirt.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    With the Championship so close it was always going to be a great race but the Austin circuit was great tv viewing. Turn 1 and the first sector looked fantastic.

I was equally impressed by the 251ft observation tower with it's flowing red mullet. Very American :-)
    Ha! I was wondering what that thing reminded me of and now it all makes sense! But, like F1 I think the mullet has European heritage. We just kind of take it to extremes. As per usual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't mullet invented by germans ? It's a mantafahrer thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was the first F1 race I've watched start-to-finish in quite a long time, and I was impressed with the circuit. From what I gathered by the end of the broadcast, this could be home for the U.S. GP for some time to come.

That being said, I'd be thrilled if the the proposed Jersey City race ever comes to pass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought track was like an amped up version of Mid Ohio and was pleasantly surprised how close you could get in some spots, turn 11 in particular. I had seats in turn 12 but spent the first third of the race in 11 right at the fence before I took my seat because it was such a nice spot to watch them brake and accelerate from the hairpin. The track was full but Indy had a huge turnout its first year too before attendance started to decline. That said I think Austin is a better fit for F1 and the track is superior to the ticky tack road course afterthought at IMS. Not surprisingly the restaurants and shops not on the scope of someone driving an Aston Martin Rapide were the ones that took a big hit while the luxury joints did fine. Just like the Olympics the race probably scared away tourists because they didn't want to deal with the crowds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 'nati Chris View Post
    Not surprisingly the restaurants and shops not on the scope of someone driving an Aston Martin Rapide were the ones that took a big hit while the luxury joints did fine. Just like the Olympics the race probably scared away tourists because they didn't want to deal with the crowds.
    While F1 has more of a following in the US than many are willing to admit, this race will be a success for the same reasons Singapore is a success, and why NFL stadia can't wait to stuff another row of luxury boxes in: big money corporate entertaining. This isn't, for the most part, going to be a park-the-camper-and-do-the-town sort of event. It's a oh-there-George-Lucas-and-who's-that-with-him? sort of event. Oh, and that was Carlos slim with Lucas. Just about made me puke when the FOM feed needed to give us that shot.

That being said, the racing was excellent. I know it wasn't intentional, but FP1 reminded me of the 1000hp turbo era with the cars nearly out of control on every turn. I think tilke got this one right. They could even eliminate drs and this track would still be good. I'm really, really looking forward to the motoGP race next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    kind of OT, and it could just be the camera angle, but the apparent difference in front camber is striking. Maaybe this is why the sauber has been good to its tires all year, and maybe part of the reason why they sucked this past weekend (no mechanical grip on a slick track)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    ...I'm really, really looking forward to the motoGP race next year.
    Indeed! I'll be in T15 grandstand!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Indeed! I'll be in T15 grandstand!

MotoGP? Fairies.