Thread: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    In fact, you may even score some NFS when you receive your brand new Spectrum bicycle here at the barn ... who knows ...

Tom - there were a couple guys entered in the Non-TT bike class of the Somerset Circuit TT last Saturday on Spectrums. Looked good.

For my part, I rode my TT bike with the NFS-beta lubricant and had a wonderfully positive drive train experience.

--Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Tom - there were a couple guys entered in the Non-TT bike class of the Somerset Circuit TT last Saturday on Spectrums. Looked good.

For my part, I rode my TT bike with the NFS-beta lubricant and had a wonderfully positive drive train experience.

--Mark
    That kind of talk gets me in a good way. Hey, nice report wrt NFS-beta. There are close to 30 testers "out in the wild" all sending me reports. Curiously, you happen to be the first race day report (he said humming a tune) gee funny that ;) Thanks much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After three hours riding in Texas silt and before wiping the side plates.

P1000865.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashburn View Post
    After three hours riding in Texas silt and before wiping the side plates.

P1000865.jpg
    Thank you sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Testing 1 2 3. Is it too loud?
    Jimmy and my chain after one 10 drop application + 200 miles of commuting and a 45 miles very dirty rain ride. No squeaks and not bad shape. Left it overnight just to see if it would rust. Don't try this at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wear protection on your chain, people! NFS is spreading like a sachs disease and it'll turn your zank and ballers greene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a Fanboy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

Breaking my own code of ethics sigh: This is how I apply chainlube. Big ring + Smallest cog, apply NFS than run the chain backwards for 60 seconds, wipe the chain aggressively with 100% cotton rag. Drop the chain to small ring and wipe any excess lube off the big ring, pop the gears up two in the back and wipe excess lube from the 11/12 and you are done. After riding wipe down the chain, it takes ummmm 5 seconds.
    Reading through this. Quoted for obvious reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refreshed bike with brand new drivetrain getting built up soon. Bike will only know NFS it's whole life. Based on the feedback here I think I made the right choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been one of the "Beta" testers. Following, please find the initial 500+ mile report back to the man. It kind of speaks for itself.

OK, initial report;
    - First application, full chain cleaning with super solvent (don't ask). About eight drops Beta.
    - A week of riding; Spring training camp and a Derby - total miles; 349. Rub-down with Randy's washcloth after rides (mostly)
    - Refresh of about four or five drops.
    - 42 mile road race, 38 mile very fast crit, 36 mile Derby(rain), 19 mile run to the bank and back, 36 mile Derby, 44 mile Crit, 77 mile road ride. Rub-down after rides
    - Refresh of NFS beta.
    OK, so never a squeak nor any sign that the chain really needed attention beyond the rub-downs. Beta seems to be as effective as Alpha. It just smells better.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I am doing wrong? After thoroughly cleaning a pretty new 9000 chain in an ultrasonic cleaner with OMS as the solvent, I applied NFS to every third or fourth rollers and ran the cranks around for a solid minute or so. I did not wipe down the chain or the chainring or cogs at all. I went out this morning and was bothered by a regular squeak from my obviously underlubed chain.

How are you guys getting ten drops to distribute over the whole of the chain? I have used this to lube every roller on a chain and, the lube is awesome for all the reasons already cited, but I am not getting the distribution magic to happen for me. I am not worried about going through more lube more frequently but I am puzzled why I am getting no success from the 10 drop application when so many others say they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your chain is bone dry, not even a speck of pre-existing lube. For that situation you might have to go nuts and put on 15 drops. I've done similar exercises and no problem. YES!!! I agree that when you are talking about a bone dry zero lube chain that 10 drops won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    What I am doing wrong? After thoroughly cleaning a pretty new 9000 chain in an ultrasonic cleaner with OMS as the solvent, I applied NFS to every third or fourth rollers and ran the cranks around for a solid minute or so. I did not wipe down the chain or the chainring or cogs at all. I went out this morning and was bothered by a regular squeak from my obviously underlubed chain.

How are you guys getting ten drops to distribute over the whole of the chain? I have used this to lube every roller on a chain and, the lube is awesome for all the reasons already cited, but I am not getting the distribution magic to happen for me. I am not worried about going through more lube more frequently but I am puzzled why I am getting no success from the 10 drop application when so many others say they do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's good to know. I clean my chain in a parts washer using mineral spirits. Strips the chain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ergott View Post
    That's good to know. I clean my chain in a parts washer using mineral spirits. Strips the chain.
    T.K.s method for applying NFS is to send a very thin stream onto the outside than inside plates which is effectively 5 or 10 drops. That's also a very good method if you have a steady hand. I recommend the "drops" so that folks are not over applying the product. That said...if you apply a very stingy "string" of lube to the chain it is reallllllly effective at distribution. The "trick", if there is one, is to avoid at all costs over applying. "Just enough" is almost too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a miserable experience with every different kind of mud at the Wildcat Epic 100, having no shifting issues (hooray full length housing) save chain suck...I ordered two bottles. I have roughly 2 years worth of samples and bottles of different lube laying about, but decided enough was enough. Reapplying lube during a 100 mile MTB race is time wasted.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a report from retro-world (Campy NR/SR and a Regina America SL).

NFS is great. Makes my chain feel and sound like it's belt-drive. Quiet, smooth-running, and clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to ask: is NFS too thick to apply with a needle applicator like this one? Has anyone tried something like that to apply the lube?

l_084000127_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't waste your time and $$ chief. The dropper bottle I supply is perfect. It will deliver one drop at a time if that is your wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't over think this re: the bottle. The bottle is the right vessel for this liquid.

Some shady tall guy handed this to me in the doorway a bar* in the District on a cold March morning earlier this year. It works great. I'm loving it and hope to have more soon. Haven't got enough good things to say about it.

*coffee shop.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Don't over think this re: the bottle. The bottle is the right vessel for this liquid.

Some shady tall guy handed this to me in the doorway a bar* in the District on a cold March morning earlier this year. It works great. I'm loving it and hope to have more soon. Haven't got enough good things to say about it.

*coffee shop.
    Reminds me of "A cold night in a city that never sleeps...." I was just down there, and delivered a bottle to my son. Should have gone to Open City before the Cirque and done the deal.